Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Merry Christmas To All and To All a Good Night

Mokong

Thought I set up a general thread for wishing everyone a Merry Christmas

(kinda like a bday thread I guess.... so potential spamfest :heh:)

To try and get some conversation here's a topic.

What is your favourite part (expect getting gifts... I believe there is already a Present thread) and/or most hated part about Christmas Day?

For me Christmas is all about family... since I was little it's never just been my Parents, my sister and me on Christmas. There's always family (aunts, uncles cousins, friends) ... usually...or actually ALL... from my mothers side of the family...that will come down on Christmas Eve and spend a few days with us.

As my mother is the eldest of her family that is over here, she is kinda like the mother of everyone of her reletives that followed her over so our house has become the family house.

Without at minimum 10 people (added to our 4) Christmas just doesn't feel right to me. The snow disruption last year almost caused everyone to not be able to make it as they all come down from Dublin... this lead to me spamming them texts and emails with road and weather reports. Thankfully roads cleared Xmas Eve and everyone made it.

Think there was more than 20 (think something like 26..adults and kids) in the house last year... and this is NOT a big house... lots of matresses and airbeds on the floors :heh:

But my most fav part is the Christmas Dinner.

Which MUST include Turkey with Stuffing. If there's no Turkey my Christmas is ruinded. There's actually only two of us (me and oen cousin) who will properly eat the turkey so every year the mother keeps saying "we don't need one this year there's only two of ye eating it".

I don't like that kind of thinking :mad:

If there's any left over turkey sure none of it goes to waste. My cousin takes home half of the leftovers, I stick my half in the freezer and both of us happily have turkey sandwiches for the next two weeks worth of lunches, haha :D

Worst part about Chritsmas is the cleaning up afterwards when the whole thing is over :cry:

Also I had hoped to have some sort of Xmas video for my youtube but alas didn't have the time this year... but I did take part in a Xmas Collab which I'll embed below.

So if you want to be greeted a Merry Christmas by like 89 random strangers and me watch the whole of this vid... if you just want to be greeted by me (and Oisín) I'm in the intro and then you can skip to 4mins 44seconds :D

I have a very close knit family so having my aunt and cousin (and technically it would usually be my other aunt, uncle and cousin too, but they pointlessly go to Florida every year. For no reason. I don't believe they have fun. Anyway) is essential. Like, it would be weird/sad not to have them.

On boxing day we have to go to my other uncle's outside the city and eat kinda mangy food in their kinda dirty house with awkward people we don't see for the rest of the year. LEAST FAVE.

We've never had a Turkey at Xmas either - Turkey is CLEARLY the least nice of the main 'roast meal' meats so we just alternate. This year we're having a big chicken with bacon on it I think.

I always spend Christmas with my Mum's side of the family. This year my nephew is spending Christmas morning with us (before going to his Dad's) and he has some understanding as to what is going on. I'm looking forward to his reaction to it all.

I love Christmas. It's like the best time of the year for me.

More recently my family have started getting together, for a long time my family were very spilt apart and it was awful.

We're off to my uncle's this year, which is the first time we've done something different since I was born, but since my sister is unable to come home for Christmas, it seems logically to go over for Christmas dinner and see some of the family.

The bad side is the nostalgia, there's been a few today as it is and as I'm sure other families have, it gives a stark reminder of those who are no longer with us, there's been enough tears today, I hope you'll be ok tomorrow.

Happy Christmas N-E I hope it's a good 2012 for you all. :)

I'm not big for Xmas as it grates a little, mainly because there's a lot of negative memories associated with it for me. This year, however, will be the first time that my whole family has gotten together for the holidays properly (including dinner) for several years now, and the first without my grandfather. Nice that we've gotten closer but it really shouldn't have taken the loss of my grandfather to make it happen.

Still, should be good, although I still foresee the annual xmas argument between my mother and someone (probably be me this year so that should make things a little more interesting). Mostly looking forward to spending time with my nephew and seeing his face light up at the presents.

Anyways, Merry Christmas to all N-Eers! Enjoy it :santa:

Yesh! Merry Christmas to ye all, despite the fact that I'm terribly late!

We got together at my grandma's place for Christmas Eve for the first batch of gift-giving (which was slightly shorter, considering the crisis), and my aunt's cooking was top-notch as usual (God bless her Green Eggs and Cod Pastries. And that other stuff in the main dishes, of course :heh:) AND there was Iced Tea she bought exclusively for me :grin: Never thought I could drink 0,75 Liters of the stuff in less than 24 hours, but I proved myself wrong.

Then, the other half of my family. We (my parents, sister, cousins and uncles) usually celebrate Christmas at the place where our grandmother lived, but the owner of the house (one of my aunts) went to Chile this year, so my family decided to host it at our place, to great success :grin: We got new visitors in the form of our new family members (a family from Venezuela, old friends. One of them recently married one of us) and everything went better than expected.

I now have a custom-knit bell dangling from my glasses. Merry Christmas and to all a good night! :santa: