N-Europe

General Chit Chat

This is the place to chat about anything!

13157 topics in this forum

1. Rockbusters

• 24 replies
    • 2.1k views
    • 18 replies
    • 1.9k views
    • 4 replies
    • 2.1k views
  2. Need Design Work Done?? 1 2

• 42 replies
    • 4.7k views
    • 2 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 40 replies
    • 2.9k views
    • 27 replies
    • 2.8k views
  3. T-shirt help!

• 14 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 1 reply
    • 24 replies
    • 2.2k views
  4. Language acquisition 1 2

• 29 replies
    • 2.7k views
    • 2 replies
    • 28 replies
    • 2.3k views
    • 54 replies
    • 3.9k views
  5. MS Points

• 8 replies
    • 11 replies
  6. iPod Value?

• 5 replies
    • 108 replies
    • 8.5k views
    • 32 replies
    • 2.3k views
    • 1 reply
  7. Pushing Daisies Cancelled 1 2

• 38 replies
    • 3.6k views
    • 44 replies
    • 3k views
  8. To forum, bye. 1 2 3 4

• 92 replies
    • 5.7k views
    • 14 replies
    • 1.3k views
1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
    • Thinking about resubscribing to the network and watching 2001 onwards. Canceled after i watched 1998 through 2000. WCW was bought out in March of that year and theats when they started the whole invasion plot which i remember being pretty entertaining when i watched it as a kid. the NWO doesn't appear untill No Way Out in 2002 though.
    • My physical copy just arrived. I'll just keep this sealed, the disk isn't rattling around so thats a good sign. Shopto put this stupid sticker with your address and stuff on the wrap though so i can't really see the back of the box.  
    • I've come to my first niggle and it's those monkey hands, they sometimes just don't want to reach for that next rung on the ladder. Sometimes it does, sometimes I wiggle about and somehow it magically decides it can reach, other times I've had to try dropping and hovering for that extra lift, which I don't think is what the solution was meant to be. Missed one warp in the gorilla galaxy, but will nip back for that later. It was a surprise when I found the first one it kicks you out the level and you have to redo, which is how I came across the 200 cost bird, which was a nice touch as I had missed something earlier on, but then when I got to the part of the level I hadn't reached, it kinda spoiled it for me. Here's hoping you can toggle it off if needed.   I've had to rage quit against Captain Pincher. It just isn't working for me. I've watched 2 YouTube videos where they climb effortlessly up his ribs and I can't make it up 2 bits before it stops reaching out. Edit 2- replaying the level for the initial puzzle piece and getting the monkey again, I see what I was missing...
    • Had to stop playing since the game drained my controller battery. The Gorilla nebula is 100% done and the level after the boss was great. I've been hoping for a new Ape Escape game for years but i know it's not going to happen. So this was a nice compromise. The harder shorter levels are fun too, they're a challenge without being too frustraiting, you get some nice bots at the end of them though. I got some mouse looking bot in the the shrinking level and i have no idea who that is...
    • Shadow Man NA release: 31st August 1999 PAL release: 3rd September 1999 JP release: N/A Developer: Acclaim Publisher: Acclaim N64 Magazine Score: 93% This was a game I was looking forward to. I read about it so much in N64 Magazine – who loved the game – but it was too “mature” when I was a kid. Shadow Man also got a wonderful remaster treatment from Nightdive, so I decided to give that version a go. Despite enhanced textures and controls, it still has the feel of an N64 game, so I stuck with that version. Shadow Man is based on the Shadowman series of comics that Activision purchased (the game title adds a space for some reason), and revolves around a plot where five evil beings (which are merged with serial killers, one of which has odd similarities to Harold Shipman) are bringing about the apocalypse. The story and world help create a great atmosphere, complete with voice acting that was pretty good, especially for the time. Shadow Man got compared to Zelda a lot and, while I can see why, a better comparison is a Nintendo franchise that skipped the N64: Metroid. Shadow Man is much more platform orientated than Zelda, with a big focus on navigation and exploration. There are weapons and movement abilities that allow you to access new areas, as well as getting to more Dark Souls – the main collectable of the game – in older areas. Jumping does feel a little but clunky, a little bit like the original Tomb Raider games. One small detail I like is that you have to put at least one of your weapons (you can hold one in each hand) away to be able to grab on ledges. With exploration being key, you would expect a good map to help you find your way around, but Shadow Man lacked that – other than a loose map of the overworld in the manual (added to one of the books you collect in the remaster). At first, I absolutely hated it, but as I started learning the levels, the more I actually enjoyed not having it. The world is incredibly well made, with rooms being memorable rather than just square rooms – which means when you unlock a shortcut to an earlier section, you realise quickly that it’s somewhere you’ve been before. This level design is part of what makes Shadow Man amazing to play. I wanted to explore every location of the world, to the point where, if it felt I was progressing in a level, I’d turn back to make sure I’d explored everywhere else first. Getting my bearings in each new area was satisfying as well. On top of this, there were many obstacles that you knew you would be able to bypass later, so when I got a new ability, I had a mental note of where I could return to to explore further. Combat is probably the weakest point of Shadow Man, with there not being much depth to it, but it is still enjoyable enough that it doesn’t hamper the rest of the game. There were a few points when hunting for the remaining Dark Souls where I ran past enemies in rooms I knew had no more secrets, and there are a bunch of interesting weapons to mix things up. The ability to mix and max weapons certainly helps, too. Shadow Man is a phenomenal game and deserves a lot more recognition than it gets. For being an early 3D Metroidvania game, it got so much right. It’s a wonderfully crafted game that has a ton of atmosphere. I absolutely loved this game and think it’s one of the best games of the era. Fave Remake or remaster? The Nightdive remaster is one of the best remasters ever done. The controls have been altered to make it nicer to play, the graphics are touched up but more recognisable, the new lighting makes the level design pop even more and it’s a wonder to play. There are also a few more areas based on the original plans for the game, which fit so well that you’d have no idea which parts they were from just playing the game. Official ways to get the game. Shadow Man Remastered is available on GoG, Steam, Xbox One/Series, PS4/5 and Switch.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1.9m