N-Europe

Limited Edition.

ipaul

What do people think of these? In particular I'm referring to the ever more extravagant ones you get for video games these days. Personally I quite like the idea of them but they're often gratuitous. I find it interesting how there has been a trend for them at roughly the same time that digital downloading of games has taken off.

I'm buying Starcraft 2 tomorrow, and for some reason I'm extremely tempted by the special edition. It's £69.99 instead of £39.99 (before discount) but it has a load of super cool stuff...that probably won't get looked at after the initial wow factor (with the exception of SC1 + Brood War). It might also have something to do with the fact that I've been looking at them all week at work weighing up their pros and cons.

I bought the GTA4 special edition with the safety box which has come in extremely handy. That and the duffel bag have gotten loads of use...and the keyring is still on my keys. That's probably the best special edition I've ever purchased. Aside from the Forza 3 LE (which I got for cheap and is awesome), I can't think of any more I have.

I dunno... kind of torn what to think about them.

I guess it will always boil down to whether you like the game in the first place, otherwise any extra content will seem like a waste of money, just like the game anyway.

Certain things I like, bobble heads, art books and making of DVDs.

But stuff like night vision goggles and massive statues seem completely ridiculous.

Same as Happenstance, it depends on what you get in the Limited/Special editions. Fable III comes with extra missions, a new region, dog breed, clothes, a coin and some playing cards. Which is worth it to be fair

Where-as if a game only came with an extra character (like Bioshock II) then the standard edition will do me fine, not enough to make it a worth-while purchase.

Give me a cloth map and I'm happy.

The limited edition of Alan Wake is one of the best examples of recent times as everything included — disc of documentary features, installable video commentary, an actual book — adds to the experience in some way rather than being a piece of plastic tat that you'll look at for 5 minutes before it takes permanent residence on a dusty shelf. Doesn't hurt that it was a reasonable price, either.

Depends what comes with it. If it's a decent figure or some sort of prop, I'm usually swayed. They always look good on my shelf.

My favourites so far have been: GTAIV (Lockbox), Assassins Creed 1&2 (Amazing figures), Bayonetta (Nice prop for the same price as the normal edition) and Fallout 3 (Bobblehead and lunchbox were ace).

Bad examples: Saints Row 2 (Utter crap plastic gun packaging thing) and Fable 2 (Cancelled all the good things that were supposed to come with it)

Yesterday I was torn between the limited edition (or deluxe edition as its called) Ponyo and the regular. Seeing as there was a £10 difference and only a packaging variation, as far as I'm aware, I went for standard.

Depends on if it seems worth the extra moolah.

I like buying games with sleeves, inFamous limited edition is really nice. Arkham Asylum GOTY sleeve is awesome.

Stuff like night vision goggles though, it's just stupid. I bought Modern Warfare 2 hardened edition, comes in a nice metal case, art book, and Call of Duty Classic. I don't mind little things like that.

I think LE's are often overpriced for the content they deliver. GTA IV had nice collectibles that are also functional.

I've only been swayed by two Limited Editions, Fallout 3 (because I love Fallout) and Fallout New Vegas, because everything in that CE looks immensely awesome (A deck of cards! and Graphic Novel!).

I haven't seen anything else to be worth it.

I bought special editions of the following, usually only because I got a good deal:

Gears of War 3

Street Fighter IV

Devil May Cry 4

And I think they all kinda suck... DMC4's art book is OK, but when you've seen it once... plus all the art is available online in high resolution.

Gears I bought the special edition of because I had so much fun with the first, I thought I wanted the whole experience. But I've never watched the DVD and the tin case is just ever so slightly out of place.

Street Fighter IV was the biggest special edition I've bought, and what I disappointment.

sfightjub.jpg

Those figures are absolutely tiny and seriously low quality. I watched the movie once and it's extremely average. The "mini strategy guide" details moves that can all be found under the pause button anyway. The box way too big to sit on my shelf alongside my game and is mostly filled with empty space.

I've been put off special editions since that last one and gone for the most basic version of the game, and never felt that my enjoyment has been hampered in any way. There have been some great special editions that I've considered, but the best ones always have the ridiculous pricetags.

I've accumulated only the DMC4 CE (for liek £4 :P) and I don't like the sleeve, I don't like the tin, and I don't really ever care for special/limited/collector's/deluxe/gay editions.

Except my xbox 360. Paid full whack for a red Resi 5 edition of it. No regrets at all :)

Ys Seven limited edition is pretty impressive, you get an Artbook with art from different YS games as well, soundtrack with 20 songs and a cloth map. Costs £10 more on VGP.

Usually I'm a sucker for LE, but it depends on the price and what you get.

I've got a special edition 360, because it was the only one with a 250gb hdd with it.

I don't usually buy special editions unless they come with something extra (like an extra track on a cd or whatever). I wouldn't be fussed on the special editions with big boxes and pointless things.

I like SE with paper boxes and artbooks. Haven't bought many though, usually they aren't games I would have bought anyway. Only got Ar Tonelico, Luminous Arc and Red Dead Redemption(not like I had a choice, it was the only version the store sold). If anyone know where I can get Ar Tonelico 2 SE, please tell me.

Stepping it away from games, I dislike the limited edition Simpsons DVD's.

The heads are silly and my season 8 looks out of place. :p

I don't usually go fro the extra limited edition stuff in games because I don't have enough money but I am definitely enticed by them. :) I have the Mass Effect (first one) collectors edition only because my friend and I did a swap because he didn't like the big tin taking up his shelf space/looking out of place.

On DVD's I love two disc editions and thing with extra making of's and other content because I will actually watch that.

CD's as well I'm a sucker for a little extra bonus track. :)

I've never shelled out a lot of money for one of these fancy videogame special edition cases and such. Usually because the prices seem really absurd. As if 30 odd quid wasn't enough for a game!

I have purchased a couple of special edition dvds over the years, but they're usually done on the cheap. Such as this one:

11970293251526424.jpg

Only cost me 6 quid brand new. I'm not keen on these steel tin cases. As others have said, they're a bitch to store in your collection. I'd rather have something like this:

103910-9.jpg

Contains all the extra discs, has the nice booklet/manual, and it looks nice with the rest of your collection. I prefer this.

I like bonus discs and steel cases a lot so whenever something is available as a two disc edition I buy that.

I also bought a couple of other special editions where i get things like a figurine, an art book or a lighter and while they seemed cool at first I had to eventually realise that they just amount to a lot of junk. So only 2 Disc special editions for me now.