NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Happenstance

Old NE Members

On 12/07/2020 at 9:57 PM, soag said:

I've been reading back through some of my old posts... Honestly old me was a bit of a ass... Don't know how you all put up with me. 

I live in constant regret for what I did previously. No matter what, I think that what I'm currently doing is pretty cool, but then when I reflect on it later I am filled with cringe, and think that past_Odwin is awful.

• Like 4

Might be just me, but General Chit Chat seems... livelier as of late. Has this call for a reunion of old members revitalized it a bit? Let's hope it stays that way, at any rate.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Might be just me, but General Chit Chat seems... livelier as of late. Has this call for a reunion of old members revitalized it a bit? Let's hope it stays that way, at any rate.

Yeah it definitely is. There’s nowhere near this much activity usually. Good for it to be like this again, makes for a lot of interesting things to chat about.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, will' said:

Yeah it definitely is. There’s nowhere near this much activity usually. Good for it to be like this again, makes for a lot of interesting things to chat about.

i harassed at least half a dozen people to come on lol

On 15/07/2020 at 10:26 AM, Mr_Odwin said:

I live in constant regret for what I did previously. No matter what, I think that what I'm currently doing is pretty cool, but then when I reflect on it later I am filled with cringe, and think that past_Odwin is awful.

Oddddders heyyy!!!

• Like 2

On 7/15/2020 at 10:26 AM, Mr_Odwin said:

I'm exactly the same it's the worst. 

Trying to live with no regrets, is extremely hard when I regret everything. 

I even regret replying to this... 

• Like 2

Regret is potentially a sign of growth. The fact the you can see and learn from your old selves is a GOOD thing. 

It took £500+ worth of therapy to understand that, so enjoy the freebie. :laughing:

• Like 6

Whenever I look back on things I posted/emails etc it's all one big facepalm.

e: and I'm sure in another ten years looking back at this I'll facepalm as well.

Edited by Twozzok
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Twozzok said:

Whenever I look back on things I posted/emails etc it's all one big facepalm.

As a hobbyist artist, I completely understand this phenomenon.

No-one ever look at my drawings from 5+ years ago! They're too embarrassing!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nightwolf said:

Regret is potentially a sign of growth.

Not sure that's always the case. I often regret things as I'm doing them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MoogleViper said:

Not sure that's always the case. I often regret things as I'm doing them.

"potentially" was the key word here. 

• Like 3

I definitely don’t like going and reading old posts of mine. Even if they’re rather innocuous I’ll often still cringe and wonder why the shit I would post whatever it was. Oh well such is life. 

I do miss being part of a good forum community though. The tight knit communication and some of the cliques and some very real friendships made. I’ve never quite had that last part here, but I think the time zone difference really makes it more difficult. Plus I’m crass and unlikeable oftentimes. But just hoping in and reading posts from names you recognize is nice, and makes a real community. 

I think I’m rambling. 

I have been here for 13 years! I still have an infraction for posting a joke about Shenmue 3 being announced.... from like 2008 lmao.

I remember the Mafia games, they were fun. I even ran one with Maddog who I think died a few years ago?

so yeah I remember a lot of people and stuff. I also purchased games and a controller from Rokhed which arrived and were yellow and stunk of smoke!

7 hours ago, Esequiel said:

I have been here for 13 years! I still have an infraction for posting a joke about Shenmue 3 being announced.... from like 2008 lmao.

It was too soon okay! 😋

7 hours ago, Esequiel said:

I remember the Mafia games, they were fun. I even ran one with Maddog who I think died a few years ago?

He did back in 2017 if I recall correctly. The fundraiser we did for him is one of my proudest memories of this place. The fact we were able to collectively raise money in his honour and donate it to Teenage Cancer Trust was really special. I still have the letter from his mother stored at my mother's where I'd wrote to her asking for their blessing in doing that and to let her know how beloved he was here. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

So weird seeing so many old names posting again!

I joined a few months before the move from Cube-Europe to Revo-Europe, so 15 years now which seems crazy! I've never left but don't really post much these days - just the odd comment here and there. Saying that I never really considered myself one of the most active users!

I went to the 2009 meet where @ReZourceman and I had the same bag (and other stuff happened...). Still have a few photos on my Facebook that I was tagged in. Also went to the 2011 one, where I just remember it pissed it down all day!

I also remember there being a reasonably active IRC chat, would have been around 2009. @Raining_again and @nightwolf were definitely involved among others so it's nice to see you both popping back up again :)

• Like 1

I joined back in the Cube-Europe days. I well and truly miss this place, and sometimes, once or twice a year I'll type n-europe.com into my browser and sit there staring at the title page. It's much like going up into the attic of your childhood home and seeing the boxes full of memories, photographs, toys, and trinkets that you never use but you can't ever discard. More than any other thing on the internet, this site feels like a real, living place to me - it's gone through so many coats of paint, add-ons, consolidations and visitors, some transient, some that stayed for a season or two, and I really have it to thank for helping me through my school years. 

I'm 31 now, and many of the people I really liked from here, I ended up becoming friends with in real life. I doubt there will be a forum culture like it again, honestly. There was something amazing about having a sizeable, but contained group of people that you'd respond to on a daily basis, whose viewpoints you internalised over the course of years, and that you could have meaningful conversation with, rather than what I tend to do these days - mostly doom-scrolling through my Twitter or Facebook feeds. I feel like in the times of the 'rona, a lot of us could use this place as much as we did a decade ago when we were all teenagers or young adults.

Anyway, I hope you all are doing well! I'll try to post some more, and hopefully get into fewer arguments than before - can't guarantee it though ;).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 18/07/2020 at 10:24 AM, Ashley said:

It was too soon okay! 😋

He did back in 2017 if I recall correctly. The fundraiser we did for him is one of my proudest memories of this place. The fact we were able to collectively raise money in his honour and donate it to Teenage Cancer Trust was really special. I still have the letter from his mother stored at my mother's where I'd wrote to her asking for their blessing in doing that and to let her know how beloved he was here. 

He was such a good guy.

• Like 3

On 18/07/2020 at 11:40 AM, Eddage said:

I also remember there being a reasonably active IRC chat, would have been around 2009. @Raining_again and @nightwolf were definitely involved among others so it's nice to see you both popping back up again :)

@nightwolf and I are always up to mischief :grin: 

I remember your username well @Eddage, its honestly a big of a head melt seeing all these usernames and being taken back to such a cool time in my life. 

• Like 1

On 19/07/2020 at 1:48 AM, The Bard said:

I joined back in the Cube-Europe days. I well and truly miss this place, and sometimes, once or twice a year I'll type n-europe.com into my browser and sit there staring at the title page. It's much like going up into the attic of your childhood home and seeing the boxes full of memories, photographs, toys, and trinkets that you never use but you can't ever discard. More than any other thing on the internet, this site feels like a real, living place to me - it's gone through so many coats of paint, add-ons, consolidations and visitors, some transient, some that stayed for a season or two, and I really have it to thank for helping me through my school years. 

I'm 31 now, and many of the people I really liked from here, I ended up becoming friends with in real life. I doubt there will be a forum culture like it again, honestly. There was something amazing about having a sizeable, but contained group of people that you'd respond to on a daily basis, whose viewpoints you internalised over the course of years, and that you could have meaningful conversation with, rather than what I tend to do these days - mostly doom-scrolling through my Twitter or Facebook feeds. I feel like in the times of the 'rona, a lot of us could use this place as much as we did a decade ago when we were all teenagers or young adults.

Anyway, I hope you all are doing well! I'll try to post some more, and hopefully get into fewer arguments than before - can't guarantee it though ;).

Man, I know this is like a two and a half year necro of this thread but I just had to say how accurate this statement was. Just found myself in exactly one of these moods and read this and it summed it up PERFECTLY. Nice one Bard 💙

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's been over 20 years since I joined the site and was just thought I'd check the site and forum. Reading this brought back some memories and I still had files like a Goldie Looking Chain cover we did on here, which is weirder as I now work with someone from GLC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I came here looking for something but stumbled upon this. NE was a massive part of my life. 

The person I see most regularly is Goafer as we're in a virtual D&D podcast together and regularly meet up for D&D too.

I was actually brought here because I saw a Google Advert and wondered if Coolness Bears was in it.... 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ReZourceman said:

I came here looking for something but stumbled upon this. NE was a massive part of my life. 

The person I see most regularly is Goafer as we're in a virtual D&D podcast together and regularly meet up for D&D too.

I was actually brought here because I saw a Google Advert and wondered if Coolness Bears was in it.... 

Haven't seen Coolness on here in years, not sure what happened to him. Anyone else have him on social media or anything?

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ReZourceman said:

He's in our hearts, but no idea what happened to him

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this