NEurope
Dcubed

Shenmue 3 (Kickstarter)

I went with the $100 pledge. Well worth it in my eyes.

Was an interesting announcement for E3, but with Sega not attending (and being unwilling to fund a third title) guessing Sony can see the merit in picking it up.

They could have done a ring around at that conference after that video and got the $2 million they wanted there and then probably. Still it's funded now, so it's a matter of when they'll finish it up or how they'll do it. I'd have thought they'd go episodic with it as then they can get it into backers and customers hands quicker but I'm not seeing this as being the preferred option for most people.

Still, good news. Makes me think why Michel Ancel hasn't taken Beyond Good & Evil 2 to Kickstarter yet. It's something I'd get behind, though I suspect that he's too busy with Wild at the moment.

Im going to be plugging my Dreamcast back in tonight and starting a new game of Shenmue in celebration.

I'm dreaming arn't i? too many "not ever gonna happen" games are happening...is this real life?

£2.2 million now

did they really think it wouldn't get funded?

My only complaint about this is that I'm not a fan of the re-done art style. I hope when they start making the actual game it goes back to looking a bit more like the original games. Its the faces mostly.

Does anyone else thing the way this was announced was a bit shady...Sony not putting any money into it yet taking up the hype for Shenmue coming back. When really they aren't involved. Or is it simply a case that allowing the kickstarter to be announced on their stage was the equivalent of paying for exclusivity? But then let's be honest Shenmue didn't need that stage it would be funded either way.

Does anyone else thing the way this was announced was a bit shady...Sony not putting any money into it yet taking up the hype for Shenmue coming back. When really they aren't involved. Or is it simply a case that allowing the kickstarter to be announced on their stage was the equivalent of paying for exclusivity? But then let's be honest Shenmue didn't need that stage it would be funded either way.

Come on, of course Sony has put money into it :heh:. On the Kickstarter page the formats are listed as PC and PS4, and this featured in a Sony conference. They just don't want to pay the price to get full exclusivity it would seem.

Come on, of course Sony has put money into it :heh:. On the Kickstarter page the formats are listed as PC and PS4, and this featured in a Sony conference. They just don't want to pay the price to get full exclusivity it would seem.

Seems much more likely to me that they took console exclusivity in exchange for helping to publicise the Kickstarter. If they were helping to fund it, you bet your arse that they'd shout about it to gain some easy PR brownie points!

I agree that it does set a really unsettling precedent though. Having a Kickstarter announcement in an E3 conference does feel really shady...

But still! It's Shenmue bloody 3!! :bouncy:

Seems much more likely to me that they took console exclusivity in exchange for helping to publicise the Kickstarter. If they were helping to fund it, you bet your arse that they'd shout about it to gain some easy PR brownie points!

I agree that it does set a really unsettling precedent though. Having a Kickstarter announcement in an E3 conference does feel really shady...

But still! It's Shenmue bloody 3!! :bouncy:

What do you think publicising is? It's all funding at the end of the day. Advertising ain't free!

What do you think publicising is? It's all funding at the end of the day. Advertising ain't free!

But they arguably didn't need that advertising.

It helped, though.

It helped, though.

See I dunno...look at Bloodstained, Yooka Laylee and further back Broken Age...

See I dunno...look at Bloodstained, Yooka Laylee and further back Broken Age...

Fair point.

Then why did they do it? If they wouldn't benefit, they wouldn't do it.

The truth is, they're probably getting money from Sony (which is the point I originally made that Dcubed disagreed with). That's why the kickstarter page lists only PS4 and PC.

Then why did they do it? If they wouldn't benefit, they wouldn't do it.

I don't think you're grasping Flameboy's point. He is arguing that, if Yu Suzuki offered PS4/PC exclusivity in exchange for the conference spot (and only that spot), then it was a pretty lousy deal, considering there have been plenty of recent examples of similar games getting funded via Kickstarter without that sort of help.

The likelier explanation is what you already mentioned: Sony is helping to fund this, substantially so. Flameboy* said it was "shady" because that help most likely isn't limited to a spot at E3, and despite this, the game has already received more than 2 million dollars (maybe 3 or 4 by now) through Kickstarter for a project that doesn't actually need the backers' money.

*EDIT: (Rereading the posts better, this is not what Flameboy meant by "shady". But it is still what I think, though)

I can see them getting into trouble with Kickstarter if that's the case. It creates a bad precedent for people trying to raise funds for projects that don't need them.

Edited by Jonnas

Backed $60 for the PC physical copy. I'll probably buy it digitally and play it on the PS4, but I really want a physical copy for my collection. If I have a new PC by then, I may just play it on that instead.

I don't think you're grasping Flameboy's point. He is arguing that, if Yu Suzuki offered PS4/PC exclusivity in exchange for the conference spot (and only that spot), then it was a pretty lousy deal, considering there have been plenty of recent examples of similar games getting funded via Kickstarter without that sort of help.

But that's exactly what I was getting at (as a counter point to Dcubed). Are you on the sauce again? :heh:

Flameboy* said it was "shady" because that help most likely isn't limited to a spot at E3, and despite this, the game has already received more than 2 million dollars (maybe 3 or 4 by now) through Kickstarter for a project that doesn't actually need the backers' money.

It does need money through Kickstarter. You guys are missing the point here by calling it shady, because it's not.

Sony aren't funding the entirety of this game for exclusivity, else it would be said to be 'PS4 exclusive', so it's gone through Kickstarter. If that's because Sony don't want to pay the asking price to essentially own this game (maybe as they saw it as a risk, the devs didn't want to sell their freedom, of they asked for fuck loads of cash), we don't know. We know Sony have some kind of financial stake in this, enough to promote it, but the insinuation here is...really off. It's not as if Sony owns the dev company and is responsible for the costs, but just doesn't want to pay up front. They're just promoting it because they have a stake; they have no intention of covering the full cost of the game.

Edited by Sheikah

If I'd been watching that live I would have had the same reaction as the GameTrailers guy

woke up went to Eurogamer and was just like WTF

trying to figure out if I can afford to go to the $500 level :p

I can't believe people actually paid $10,000.

If I had that sort of money to spend on frivolous things, I probably would have forked it out for the jacket.

Fuaaark, Shenmue III. Is today the day that dreams come true?

*prays really hard for Scarlett Johansson.*

Is today the day that dreams come true?

..you did see the Nintendo Direct, right..? :blank:

..you did see the Nintendo Direct, right..? :blank:

Cheers for reminding me that it existed, I was just about over it. :D

Cheers for reminding me that it existed, I was just about over it. :D

Buy me a PS4 and I'll never mention it again.. :heh:

If Witcher 3 was done on a budget of £15m then I'm sure they could get this done for around £10m. The fact that Sony showed this off in their conferences makes me think that Sony will match whatever is raised through KS.

Oh absolutely its do-able, my point was more around the fact that it needs to be somewhere in that area rather than around $2m.

Personally I think it`s a bit off having some money come from Kickstarter and other money from elsewhere. Dependent on the balance the devs direction will be lead from one side or the other, and that may not be whats best for the people that back the game.

It also paints an unrealistic picture of whats possible with particular budgets. If it was possible to make Shenmue 3 on a budget of $2m I`m fairly confident it would have been picked up and published in the traditional way. I`d be super interested to see a full financial breakdown of both the funding and the expenditure for the project once the kickstarter is finished.