NEurope
Dcubed

Shenmue 3 (Kickstarter)

What is even going on in this conference!?

Should point out that it's for PS4 and PC.

It's at $550k already. :D

Edit: I spoke 5 seconds too soon...$600k

I've gone for $175. Let's see if anyone else here tops that... ;)

$310 all in! : peace:

Let's make this happen! :awesome:

I nearly cried. Going to kick in 175 when I wake up.

My eyes glazed the fuck over as soon as it came up. The 10 minutes after Shenmue was a blur, I have no idea what happened during those minutes. I was bouncing up and down holding in screams of joy.

Fuck me, that Sony conference was bonkers! Going to think about the rewards before throwing my money at it first, probably going to settle for a digital copy

No physical release for PS4. That needs changing. I need the disc and box art to go with 1&2

Brilliant.

I literally had tears in my eyes when they announced this. Granted, it won't be out for a couple of years but the thought that it's gonna get made is simply fantastic.

I never played the first two, so not into the hype that you guys are, but I'm slightly uncomfortable with them using Kickstarter for this... seems like a way to fleece the fans rather than actually make the project go ahead. I know they say it wouldn't go ahead without the Kickstarter, but surely Sony or someone would give them $2m?

I never played the first two, so not into the hype that you guys are, but I'm slightly uncomfortable with them using Kickstarter for this... seems like a way to fleece the fans rather than actually make the project go ahead. I know they say it wouldn't go ahead without the Kickstarter, but surely Sony or someone would give them $2m?

They were probably asking for a lot more than $2m...

$2m only provides the absolute bare minimum needed to make something remotely resembling a hypothetical Shenmue 3, while they're really hoping to get much more out of this in order to make what they really want to make.

From what ive heard the $2 million is more like a proof of interest and they'll probably get the rest of the money elsewhere. I cant remember who it was off the top of my head but someone who would know was tweeting about it yesterday.

This video...what a reaction :D

Dude, keep up. H-o-T already posted it :p

I'm not sure what you mean by 'they're fleecing fans'; Kickstarter usually always means you get a cheaper game. Full PS4 games are normally £40-50 upon release; this is $29 (£18.62) so you're basically getting it for between a third and a half of the normal price of a game!

It's also a great way to offer more things that you might not originally have been able to provide on a possibly tight budget (e.g. support for more platforms).

From what ive heard the $2 million is more like a proof of interest and they'll probably get the rest of the money elsewhere. I cant remember who it was off the top of my head but someone who would know was tweeting about it yesterday.

For sure, $2m won`t get them very far on a game of this type at all. I imagine they`re hoping to get closer to $5m from the kickstarter and then double it from other investors (Sony). With $10m they may just pull it off.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'they're fleecing fans'; Kickstarter usually always means you get a cheaper game. Full PS4 games are normally £40-50 upon release; this is $29 (£18.62) so you're basically getting it for between a third and a half of the normal price of a game!

It's also a great way to offer more things that you might not originally have been able to provide on a possibly tight budget (e.g. support for more platforms).

That's a good point with the $29 digital copy, but I mean they know there are people willing to pay silly amounts, $200 and more, to ensure they get this game. Yeah, they get a few extra bits of memorabilia for that, but I have no doubt they could get this published with a traditional business model. Getting some money from the fans now does reduce the risk on the project, for sure, but it just leaves a little sour taste in my mouth. And the stretch goals on offer aren't exactly stellar - subtitles in different languages, something that would be standard with a global release anyway.

I actually feel something similar to this as well.

I have played the first two and after the initial OMG OMG OMG reaction to something I've wanted to see for years, it's abit...odd it's gone to kick starter.

And wheeling Yu out to beg for our money to make it, I find it odd none of the big three have tried to tie it up and put that money in themselves!

I'm super excited to see this (even if I'll never play it if stays PS4/PC) but it shouldn't need kick starter. Although, if memory serves correct it wasn't that profitable for Sega?

For sure' date=' $2m won`t get them very far on a game of this type at all. I imagine they`re hoping to get closer to $5m from the kickstarter and then double it from other investors (Sony). With $10m they may just pull it off.[/quote']

If Witcher 3 was done on a budget of £15m then I'm sure they could get this done for around £10m. The fact that Sony showed this off in their conferences makes me think that Sony will match whatever is raised through KS.

That's a good point with the $29 digital copy, but I mean they know there are people willing to pay silly amounts, $200 and more, to ensure they get this game. Yeah, they get a few extra bits of memorabilia for that, but I have no doubt they could get this published with a traditional business model. Getting some money from the fans now does reduce the risk on the project, for sure, but it just leaves a little sour taste in my mouth. And the stretch goals on offer aren't exactly stellar - subtitles in different languages, something that would be standard with a global release anyway.

It's no different to how you get £100-200 "collectors editions" for games that had no kickstarter for them. This is better/more ethical because you can get the game much, much cheaper if that's all you want. You can't really say it's a bit unethical because they offer something totally optional.

Not sure what the complaint about the stretch goals is to be honest; normally you pay £50 for a game and have no 'bonuses' at all. :heh: It's Shenmue 3 so they don't really need stretch goals...yet Kickstarter convention means you pretty much have to have them or it looks shit.

Edited by Sheikah

Man, nearly $2 million raised in a matter of hours.... they'll be at their goal very soon.

Ballsy move. Dayumn, didn't expect that at all.

I mean, yeah, it's kind of weird how E3 contained a kickstarter announcement, but the fact that Sony announced it implies they'll help bring the game to fruition.

And any hint of the Sega of old is a good thing in my book :hehe: