Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Best Gaming Memories?

Happenstance

OK, it ends there. I mean right there, no responses, not even to this. Nobody wants to read either of you argue that you're funny, it's embarrassing.

Gaming Memories!

Filling the entire Library map with Proximity Mines in Goldeneye then just sitting around and watching my opponent try and reach me.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gaming memories...

* I Remember i used to play Super Monaco GP against my dad all the time on my Sega Master System back in the day. I Used to love that.

* I Remember playing Safari Hunt for hours on end on the Master System again.. determined to beat my mums top score.

* I remember on one birthday i got a SNES from my mum & dad... they wanted to sell the Master System but i threw a fit saying i wanted to keep that and the SNES (what a great decision that was :) )

* I remember coming back from a 3 week holiday one year to find out my best friend at the time had a Sega Saturn. we spent close to 48 straight hours in his bedroom playing Sega Rally & NiGHTS.

* I remember that my mum and dad had got me Pokemon Red for christmas one year, once i opened it they failed to get any sense or response from me for a few weeks.

* I remember the countless hours i spent on Goldeneye, and the hundreds of times hiding in the toilets in that one level with proximity mines everywere.

* I remember playing GTA1 on PS1 for god knows how long, never doing missions... just constantly driving around doing nothing in all it's top down view glory.

* I remember completing Metal gear solid one on PS1 and bragging.. alot to friends. alot of them never did complete it.

* I remember Shenmue (enough said)

* I remember when i got my PS2 for Christmas, and GTA3 & Gran Turismo 3. playing GTA 3 for the first time.... still is one of the biggest WOW moments of my gaming life.

* Eternal Darkness (Again enough said)

* I Remember being in hospital with a broken arm during one e3 (the one which Zelda Twilight Princess video was shown for the first time) i text my friends asking what i was missing they replied not much. when i was released from hospital first thing i did was check gametrailers... low and behold there was Zelda... i phoned my friends angrily saying how was Zelda 'Not Much' to miss?

* I remember the many weekends that me and my friends would take our TV's an Xboxs to my friends mums nursery and set up LAN Nights purely for Halo 2.

* I remember at college we drove all the way there, parked, it started raining, and rather then going to college which involved walking through the rain, we just drove back to my house and played Resident Evil on the cube, we told my mum that the lecture had been cancelled.

*playing guitar hero with my dad last christmas, him on the drums to Willie Nelso on the road again.... *Face Palm*

i really miss the endless hours of gaming i used to do, this whole working, mortgage stuff has ruined my gaming life :(

also it's funny looking back and thinking how much time i used to play computer games with my parents... where as the later years they just couldnt understand what they were looking at.

Edited by Murr

Dwarf, that post was pure awesome. Except for the "incrense" bit. I have no idea what that means. Sheikah, I was surprised that you unleashed like that. Shorty, beat me to it.

If you take the word intense/immense/incredible and roll it into one, there's your end product. Probably should have mentioned that recipe in the post.

A great (well, not that great) gaming moment for me:

It was Christmas one year. I got a N64 with GoldenEye and Mario Kart. So I put in GoldenEye, went through the Dam level and then spend hours searching around the level for bungee rope as I had none in the inventory. Eventually I gave up and decided to commit suicide by jumping off the dam, and was surprised when it meant that I had completed the level.

Dwarf, that post was pure awesome. Except for the "incrense" bit. I have no idea what that means. Sheikah, I was surprised that you unleashed like that. Shorty, beat me to it.

Yeah, I just thought it was a really forced attempt at humour. Which is something I've never liked. Kinda like ruby wax.

Cube - now you mention it, I'm pretty dam (lol) sure that happened to me too!

Sheikah - I didn't read it as if it was humour, I didn't laugh once. I read it as if the author was so excited about re-living their memories. It was far more entertaining than chunks of text.

Some of my best gaming memories:

- Aged 4, spending a ridiculous amount of time on Sonic 2 and it's first level (acts 1 and 2) trying to beat Dr. Robotnik (it was Robotnik in the old days over here and I'll be damned if I'm calling him Eggman!) and finally managing to do it, only to be told to go to bed. Slept happy that night as it was like one of the first times I'd ever played a game. :D

- Playing Disney games on the Megadrive. Seriously, anyone who's played the old Disney games from the 16 bit era (at least the Megadrive ones) will know why this is listed as they were fantastic. Pinocchio, Lion King, Mickey Mania and Aladdin to name a few.

- Super Mario Land 2 on the Gameboy. It was just made of pure win and was the first Mario game I ever played. Unfortunately, I only managed to play it very briefly at the time as I had a broken wrist but once that cast came off, I was all over the game.

- The early Spyro games on the Playstation 1. They were great (except for the third maybe as it tried to shoehorn in some alternative characters to play as which you had to play to beat the game 100%). Such a shame that they've wasted that IP.

- Getting a PS2 on the Christmas just after it was released. These things were so scarce I couldn't believe my mother had managed to find one available and get it home without being mugged for it.

- The entire Dreamcast era. So many fantastic games : Shenmue, Power Stone, the Sonic Adventure games, various other fighting games, Phantasy Star Online, Rayman, Toy Commander(!) and Ikaruga to name a select few.

- Playing Ocarina of Time years after everyone else. My sister had an N64 but it disappeared to I didn't get to play this until years later but as my first Zelda game, I realised why everyone loved it then and there. Shame I've not been able to play Majora's Mask though. Although saying that, Link's Awakening and the Oracles of games have been played fully by me and I think I now enjoy them more than just about any other Zelda game.

- Four player split screen carnage in Timesplitters 2 in the art department at school, while bunking lessons. :laughing: Art teachers didn't care at all and were happy to let us use the projector to play.

That'll do for now I reckon. Many more obviously.

I enjoyed Dwarf's post. Reminded me of Fonejacker, where certain words are accompanied by pictures.

I've just remembered that I left out Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun out of my post! Do not know how I managed to do that. It's one of my favourite games.

Every single aspect of that game is perfect to me. The singleplayer was fun, the cutscenes were great, the missions were challenging. But, where the game came alive was in the skirmish mode/multiplayer. I have a great memory of once creating about 30 or so harvesters and just cracked up laughing at my stupidly high funds counter. An obscene amount of money, but then I had to build a stupid amount of silos as well to hold the stuff.

I once also had a game against ViPeR/Joe which resulted in a lot of internet-trashtalking. We didn't finish the game, but it was pretty even throughout. The highlight was when my army of disruptors were crossing a bridge and he proceeded to then bomb said bridge. Basically, land battles were ruled out after that point, and most of the battle took place in the air. Its one of those games where you just keep countering what the other person does, so nobody ended up gaining any kind of advantage.

He obliterated me at Red Alert 2, though. Fucking Navy.

Gaming Memories!

Filling the entire Library map with Proximity Mines in Goldeneye then just sitting around and watching my opponent try and reach me.

Ugh, my mate used to that constantly. It would piss me off royally. It was great though having the blur fests on Perfect Dark. Stick on N-bombs, tranquilizer and crossbow and a couple of damage dealing weapons and watch the chaos ensue.

Was that the bomb disposal one? That level was frickin' mental on the hardest difficulty.

I loved all the levels on the campaign, even though most people thought it was bad. I just found it to be hilariously eccentric and random, plus the environments were generally well thought out.

Atomsmasher was the one with Harry Tipper and Dr. "I'll take care of that bomb for ya" Peabody, yes.

We never completed it on Hard Mode, which is a shame.

You know what I loved? Having a "Mines-only" session on Elimination, on the Robot Factory level (you know, the one with corridors and ramps over an open space). It was mental, we would often step over proximity mines that were attached in the corridor directly above us.

And, of course, killing each other with remote mines was like a snowball fight. With explosions :grin:

We're actually playing Future Perfect's story mode now, but it's not as fun, I think. The levels in TS2 were straight and direct, while TS:FP has cutscenes and labyrinthic layouts. Also, it is far easier.

- Playing Disney games on the Megadrive. Seriously, anyone who's played the old Disney games from the 16 bit era (at least the Megadrive ones) will know why this is listed as they were fantastic. Pinocchio, Lion King, Mickey Mania and Aladdin to name a few.

This, FTW. Lion King and Aladdin were amazing.

There was also the obscure World of Illusion, which had one of the best credits music I have ever heard

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Just one of my most favourite scenes out of any game - purely because it makes no sense whatsoever! Epic!

I will do my list soon, but be warned, it'll be 95% N64-related seeing as everything sucks compared to it!

And another one I almost forgot about!

Hmm, I remember it being vice versa with the layouts...TS2 being more complicated, TS3 more straightforward. I think I prefer the latter, it was more balls-to-the-walls, blow-everything-in-sight than TS2, which often demanded a more careful approach. Always a positive in an action game just being able to let it rip and decimate everything in sight. Also, the ending of the TS2 campaign was lackluster compared to the missions preceding it...TS3 was indeed easier, but also unnecessarily stream-lined in co-op. Some of the single-player bits, like certain puzzles or boss weakpoint strategies, had been completely removed, which was odd...Overall very positive, but could have included these little nuances in co-op as well...

TS4? Yes, please.

Really? That explains a few things.

By the way, when I said "labyrinthic" layouts, I just meant the over-abundance of corridors and redundant dead ends. It's still easy to find the way to follow (if it has enemies, you're on the right path :heh:)

but also unnecessarily stream-lined in co-op. Some of the single-player bits, like certain puzzles or boss weakpoint strategies, had been completely removed, which was odd..

That really awesome bit where there's four of you was removed from co-op.

For all the Majora's Mask fans, check out my latest blog post where I perform the dangerous task of saying that it's better than Ocarina of Time! I'm hoping that at least Dannyboy will agree!

Oh I think more people will agree with you here on N-E. I know I do, and I think Jim does too. They're both great games, but I think I rate MM a tiny bit higher than OoT. =)

My opinion changes every month on which one I prefer. Thing is, it's hard to place Majora above Ocarina, because its an evolution from Ocarina. Without Ocarina, there would never have been a Majora's Mask. The game uses the same artistic style, the same controls and layout, and even some of the same characters (although it does take place in a different universe.)

I love Majora's Mask, and I love Ocarina. I'm glad that they went in a different direction with Majora rather than trying to go for a more epic adventure like they did in the previous game. Because you saw the characters so often over the three day saga, you feel like you get to know them more. There's a bit more flesh to them. You care very much about the world that they live in. That's probably the reason why I would choose to play Majora right now instead of Ocarina.

There's something secretly brilliant about the game. With Ocarina you had the story, the huge quest, the showdown at the end. With this, its a bit more subtle. Its less "in your face" brilliant. You probably wouldn't be blown away by the game unless you put more time into it and begin to see how it works. I don't think there's a single useless character or section of the game that is "filler." There's a life inside this game that is very different to the world that existed in Ocarina of Time. I don't think Nintendo have managed to create that sort of world since.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Majora's Mask is someone taking all the leftovers from a Christmas meal and making the best sandwich you've ever tasted. A genuinely inspired use of an existing engine and assets, repackaged into something delightfully different.

Majora's Mask is someone taking all the leftovers from a Christmas meal and making the best sandwich you've ever tasted. A genuinely inspired use of an existing engine and assets, repackaged into something delightfully different.

That's quite astute. It also matches your avatar perfectly :hehe:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!