NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Nintendo Direct (18th June 2024 @ 15:00 BST)

Posted (edited)

What a wild ride they took me for. My general thoughts as I was watching:

• Mario & Luigi! So happy to see this series again!
  • Fantasian, yes! Going on my wishlist for sure!
  • MIO looks interesting. Will be keeping an eye on it
  • Huh, Hiro Mashima's art style made it to two titles in this Direct. Amusing.
  • DRAGON QUEST!!!!!! :bouncy:
  • funko pop :blank:
  • A new Metal Slug game was announced and released before Tactics came out. That's funny
  • Excellent additions for the NSO
  • Never played Phantom Brave before. Looks fun
  • I cannot stress this enough: the resurgence of Marvel vs Capcom is absolutely mindboggling. Never in a million years would I predict this.
  • Mario Party keeps getting new games, but never DLC, huh?
  • 2D Zelda Zelda wins the entire fucking year!!
  • Stray! What a lovely surprise!
  • Ace Attorney Investigations!! AAI2 is finally in English!! The series is finally complete!!!! On Switch!
  • New SaGa remake? That's pretty cool. I should explore that series at some point.
  • I take it that Metroid Prime 4 is destined for Switch 2, huh? Looks stylised, looks interesting! Very happy that the series keeps going strong!

EDIT: Also, Yuji Horii looks like a wholesome human being. I wish him well.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Call me a negative Nancy, but aside from DQ and Metroid Prime 4...nothing caught my eye :p

But objectively, it was a good Direct. I assume that Nintendo fans are happy. :D

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

That was a tremendous Direct, especially considering how late we are in the Switchs life.

For me my favorite moments were the announcements of Marvel vs Capcom 2 and the other games in the compilation, that is something I have wanted for a long time.

The Ace Attorney Investigations games as well, i really liked the first one on DS and now we finally get to play the sequel in the west.

Mario & Luigi: Brothership looked very good, its nice to see the Mario and Luigi series back and it looked fantastic.

Also looking forward to playing Perfect Dark again on NSO

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1

Fantastic direct, 2D Zelda lives! And she finally gets her own game, it looks fantastic. And September - only a couple of months away! 

There were a lot of surprises, new Mario & Luigi looks really cool and I'm glad I held off on playing the Wii version of Donkey Kong Country Returns with the HD version  on the way (but we have to wait until January for it!). 

It moved along at such a good pace too, constant wave of announcements, I look forward to playing Turok on NSO. Although I had anticipated it potentially being here I was still quite surprised that Metroid Prime 4 finally showed up. It looks good but they obviously didn't show off too much of it, given the vague 2025 release date it has to be a cross gen release unless it comes out in Q1 or something and then the Switch 2 follows in the second half of the year. 

Lots to look forward to though, a very strong line up for the last year of a fantastic console

• Like 1

- 2D Zelda Zelda looks interesting 

- Nice to see Edgeworth Investigations 2 get an official English version

- Very glad Metroid Prime 4 is reconfirmed for Switch 

36 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

@Glen-i I WON!!!

TOLD YOU AAI2 IN ENGLISH WOULD HAPPEN EVENTUALLY!!! :D 

Did you win though? Because last time I checked, I played AAI2 a decade ago.

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Did you win though? Because last time I checked, I played AAI2 a decade ago.

You played a compromised release.  I get the real thing.

On 6/17/2024 at 3:34 PM, Julius said:

Big question for me is how they handle Prime 4 [...] does it turn up here with a '2025' release window?

The fact that they did this here does make me ask – what the hell are they planning on holding back for Switch 2? 

40 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

So surreal seeing the Playstation and Nintendo Switch logos side by side lol.

Hopefully someone screencaps that sharpish.

GQXYJ4NXkAAxXPu?format=jpg&name=large

Couldn't get those logos further apart unless you put them in opposite corners :laughing:

GQXTC43XAAAk4bR?format=jpg&name=large

It's like when you're on holiday and you squabble with a sibling so you're sent to opposite sides of the tent :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Dcubed said:

You played a compromised release.  I get the real thing.

Bold of you to put that much faith in Cacpcom.

Ace Attorney Investigations 2, now with typos!

On 6/17/2024 at 4:08 PM, Jonnas said:

Very well. Time for unreasonable predictions:

• Dragon Quest I-III HD news/confirmation;
  • An update on Metroid Prime 4;
  • Grezzo's working on a 2D Zelda;
  • Camelot is working on an RPG;
  • MercurySteam is doing a new Metroidvania;
  • Skies of Arcadia Remaster;
  • Kid Icarus Uprising for Switch;
  • New Kirby title to round out the year;
  • An F-Zero announcement of some kind;
  • Wario is coming;
  • Mole Mania comes to the NSO;
  • Sakurai will make an appearance that steals the show. He will refrain from showing pictures of his cat.

If any of these come true, it's a win for good vibes.

I consider this to be an absolute win.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

The rumours were true! They're doing DQ1,2, AND 3! :D

Guess they're putting them out in story order, so DQ3 comes out first.

Rumours? They teased it on DQ day?

Decent Direct but will more than likely get a lot of these games on other platformers, with Marvel vs Capcom and Fantasian being the best of the bunch.

Still not sure what to make of the new Zelda game. Doesn't look to be in the classic gameplay style that I was hoping for.

• Like 1

That didn't really provide any wow moments for me, but still managed to be a pretty solid Direct.
Echoes of Wisdom was definitely my favourite part of the show, looks like it will be an incredibly unique entry in the Zelda series. A genuinely nice surprise indeed. :) I'm already a big fan of the Link's Awakening remake visuals, and the TotK style crafty stuff/open-ended puzzle solving will be right up my street as well. :yay:

Mario & Luigi also looks great, fantastic animation! :cool:

New Denpa Men, well, there's my quirky game fix I suppose. :heh:

Dragon Quest HD remakes, very nice. They'll be getting played on PC though.

Stray port? Didn't see that one coming. :hehe: Cool that it's going to release on Switch, but whoa, I would not recommend playing it there unless it's absolutely your only option. Visuals and vibe are taking a serious hit. :shakehead

NSO additions weren't exactly what I was hoping for, but good choices anyway. Annoying how you need to download an extra app for Perfect Dark and Turok though, not to mention the fact those games (like GoldenEye) are completely unplayable without the N64 controller. Shame, would've been fun to take a trip back to 1997 and play Turok again. :D

Got it watched. I'll be upfront and say it hasn't sent me as doolally as it has others. I'd go as far as to say that, for my own tastes, it looks like Nintendo themselves are actually letting the Switch peter out. Though when I reflect on their output overall and how I've found it, this shouldn't come as a shock... yet it still kind of is. Funny old thing, these games.

Here's how it went:
M&L: Brothership. Half-squinted at it for a pair of reasons. Can Nintendo not rouse themselves to do anything better on the graphics front at all any more? Secondly, should I recognise this as a remake? Seems not on both counts. Suppose it'd look decent on the Gameboy Micro. Coasting. Resting on their laurels. Will the brothership end up aboard the mothership? Should probably get this since I do like the Mario RPGs... I just like them less when I think back on them after the fact.
NWC: NES Edition. Some funny names for the challenges—Mushzoom, The Body Will Follow.
Fairy Tail 2. Not familiar with this. Action RPG though. Would need to know more. Seems the first one is on Switch so I've some homework to do.
Fantasian Neo Dimension. Curve in your attacks, send enemies off to the dimengion to wipe them all out later on? I can do that.
Switch Sports basketball. I'm sure this is great for anyone that wants a reason to dust it off again. Everyone else is just shaking their heads.
MIO: Memories in Orbit. Looks nice. Will keep an eye out for it.
Disney Illusion Island update. Cool to see it's getting some post-release support.
Hello Kitty Island Adventure. Probably not for me.
Looney Tunes: Wacky World of Sport. Didn't like the look of this but would love to find out it's turned out great.
Among Us. Not sus at all to see this still chuggin along.
Farmagia. Saw this at the Marvellous thing. Hope it's good.
DK Returns. No thank you.
DQ HD-2D III + I&II. Still just happy enough that III is happening since I held off on getting it in favour of this version. No doubt will gladly replay the first two as well. They have mastered when to play the DQ theme music in these things. 
Funko Fusion. This looks like a laugh but it'll likely be average at best. Like World of Final Fantasy Maxima with realtime gameplay and various franchises.
Luigi's Mansion 2 HD. Panic bought off 3DS eShop so won't be buying it again. Cool game for anyone new to it.
The New Denpa Men. These were all right on 3DS! I'll check it out.
Metal Slug Attack Reloaded. Couldn't put my finger on what I was seeing so I looked it up on the website. Tower defence—the very thing! I don't mind a bit of tower defence now and again although the allure does wear off after a while.
Darkest Dungeon II. Watched gameplay of this a few weeks ago thinking it was already out on Switch. Still need to get the first one.
NSO + Exp Pak. Metroid = no, ta. Perfect Dark I could be tempted back to.
Phantom Brave: The Lost Hero. Blatantly NIS. Recognise Phantom Brave from one of those Prinny collections. Will keep an eye on it.
M vs C Fighting Collection: Arcade Classics. A much of a muchness.
Super Mario Party Jamboree. Does that star island mean Kirby? No, there's Kamek? Another Mario Party? Away on with ye's, Nintendo!
Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom. The open-worldy mechanics in a more limited setting seems sort of like the kind of thing I've been asking for. Yet here I am screwing my nose up at this so I should learn to be careful what I wish for. Link is the silent protagonist so Zelda better be a blether.
Just Dance 2025 Edition. Juggernaut. Moving on.
Lego Horizon Adventures. The Lego games know what they're about so you'd think not a great deal could go wrong with this.
Stray. Was hoping for something towards the "impossible port" end of the spectrum. This will do.
Tales of the Shire. "If you've ever wanted to live like a hobbit—" nope. Not once, ever. Next.
Ace Attorney. After all these years, I'm still only one chapter into the first game so I won't be jumping ahead to this.
The Hundred Line -Last Defense Academy-. Dangan...ronpa, is that you? Then the voice over replied: "the creators of Danganronpa present...". This will probably be an intense game.
Romancing SaGa 2: Revenge of the Seven. These must be at least moderately popular. It's good to see.
Metroid Prime 4: Beyond. Delay it again. I won't miss it.

So, from Nintendo, I'm looking at M&L and Zelda because of a weird sense of "should". 

Fantasian and DQ will be the must-buys.

Farewell, Switch. You deserved better from your creator but they're just content for the money to roll in.

• Thanks 1

nintendodirect18062024roundupbanner.620x0.webp

Nintendo Direct 18/06/2024 Roundup

Fully formatted press-release, and video embed. :peace:

- - - - -

I was watching this at work today... (well it is a game shop) ;)

An excellent showing, I'll be checking a few of those trailers again for sure.

The original Perfect Dark, finally available with Online play on a Nintendo platform, that'll do. :D

Metroid Prime 4 looked fantastic as well.

Wow that surpassed my expectations!  A solid Direct with plenty of surprises. Lots of ports and HD remakes, but a lot more than I was expecting.

The Mario & Luigi series is usually good fun. Is this the first game since AlphaDream went bankrupt?

Despite being one of the weaker entries, I really enjoyed the Edgeworth Investigations game that for released over here, so having both to play is great.

Shame it’s not actually a new Danganronpa game, but I’m excited to see how The Hundred Line LDA turns out.

New Zelda is always a reason to be cheerful, and it’s about time Zelda took the spotlight.  I prefer the more direct approach so I’ll wait to be convinced by the duplication mechanic, as I worry it might give too many options, but it’s Zelda so I’ll remain happily optimistic it’ll work.

Metroid 4. That I was not expecting! I wonder if this was rolled out to show people it really does exist.  At this stage I’ll be disappointed if it doesn’t become a Switch 2 game, to give the new console a big hitter early days.  Making it a dual Switch & Switch 2 game to maximise sales is my hope.

The new Mario Party boards and 20-player mechanic look interesting.  It still makes me salty though that this will be the 3rd Party game considering the lack of depth especially in the previous one, when they could’ve made the others larger or offered DLC.

MIO looked intriguing and those NSO titles are great additions too (Perfect Dark with save states means I might finally crack those multiplayer challenges). Surely Conker’s got to be coming soon?

Finally, a point to the narrator who when the Funko Pop game was announced started saying “do you recognise who it is?” and ironically I immediately thought “no……”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Julius said:

PRIME 4? WTF ARE YOU DOING HERE?!

BEYOND? BEYOND WHAT?! 

2025!

Beyond 2024

9 hours ago, WackerJr said:

The Mario & Luigi series is usually good fun. Is this the first game since AlphaDream went bankrupt?

Yes it is, and it’s currently still a mystery about who is making it (top running theory currently is that the original staff from Alphadream joined Nintendo EPD proper and are making it as a fully in-house title).

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RedShell said:

Mario & Luigi also looks great, fantastic animation! :cool:

Stray port? Didn't see that one coming. :hehe: Cool that it's going to release on Switch, but whoa, I would not recommend playing it there unless it's absolutely your only option. Visuals and vibe are taking a serious hit. :shakehead

It's funny how different sets of eyes will see things differently. Mine are of the Switch-only variety and, from the opening shot, M&L looked phoned in, whereas Stray would appear to have some ambition about it. You play a wider range of games, know Stray already, and saw the opposite. M&L are nicely animated but isn't that par for the course? The overall graphical look was iffy to me. :hmm: 

56 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

M&L are nicely animated but isn't that par for the course?

In the 2D AlphaDream games, yeah. But I don't remember seeing such expressive and fluid animation like that in any 3D character based Mario game before.
Well, SMB Wonder was also very good in that regard, and another occasion where I really noticed a big improvement compared to previous games.

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

The overall graphical look was iffy to me. :hmm: 

Actually yeah, animation aside it's not particularly that impressive, especially in terms of the environments. They definitely appear to have focused mainly on the characters. Even so, I probably wouldn't describe it as phoned in. :hehe:

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

whereas Stray would appear to have some ambition about it. You play a wider range of games, know Stray already, and saw the opposite.

Oh it's certainly ambitious, but I think they may have been better off waiting for the Switch successor for this game.

I really enjoyed Stray, but to be honest, it doesn't exactly feature the most compelling gameplay. It's slow-paced, linear and very constrictive. What elevates the game and makes it special is the high quality visual design and presentation, I'd say it's an integral part of the experience, and an aspect that's clearly not going to go unscathed in the move to Switch. :shakehead
That said, for those who only play on Switch and have never seen the game running elsewhere, the graphical downgrade probably won't be quite as much of an issue as I'm perhaps making it out to be. ::shrug:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RedShell said:

What elevates the game and makes it special is the high quality visual design and presentation, I'd say it's an integral part of the experience, and an aspect that's clearly not going to go unscathed in the move to Switch.

It'll have a more fitting name on the Switch in that regards though. 

Sign in to follow this