N-Europe

Nintendo Switch Successor Announced

This is brand new info from a Chinese forum poster who didn't have an insider track record, therefore the following is strictly for fun and giggles. Switch 2 production has started in (somewhere in China, which don't want to translate] 1000 units per day (Edit: This is one worker, not the whole line.] Slightly larger than Switch 1. Smaller bezel Black and white Joy-Con. Slightly larger logo, with "2" on the side. 

xJkzghC.png

Nintendo moved over all of their console manufacturing to Malaysia about 5 years ago, after the big scandal with Foxconn came out.

As such, nobody working in a Chinese factory would've caught a glimpse of any units on the production line.

edgeworth.gif

Allow me to present a better theory...

https://money.udn.com/money/story/5710/8229942

https://www.resetera.com/threads/taiwan-economic-daily-news-switch-2-will-have-a-dual-screen-design-increased-battery-life-some-ai-features-and-400-price-tag.981882/

Market speculation is that the Switch 2 screen is likely to be enlarged again and have a dual-screen design. The battery life of the game console itself will also be increased. At the same time, the screen processing and performance will also be improved simultaneously. Some AI functions may even be added. The terminal price is estimated to be about US$400 ( Approximately NT$12,781), which is about 30% higher than the US$299 price of the original Switch, and slightly higher than the US$349 price of the OLED version of Switch.

Now this definitely sounds more like a "Nintendo-esc" console :D

Edited by Dcubed

Do...do they duke it out? How does this work? Do we start a March Madness-esque tournament tree for all purported leaks and rumours? 

Oh hold up @Dcubed, are they saying it's all market speculation with that first line? 

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Market speculation is that the Switch 2 screen is likely to be enlarged again and have a dual-screen design. The battery life of the game console itself will also be increased. At the same time, the screen processing and performance will also be improved simultaneously. Some AI functions may even be added. The terminal price is estimated to be about US$400 ( Approximately NT$12,781), which is about 30% higher than the US$299 price of the original Switch, and slightly higher than the US$349 price of the OLED version of Switch.

COME ON NINTENDO PUT US OUT OF OUR MISERY ALREADY AND TAKE MY GOSH DARN MONEY

16 minutes ago, Julius said:

Do...do they duke it out? How does this work? Do we start a March Madness-esque tournament tree for all purported leaks and rumours? 

Oh hold up @Dcubed, are they saying it's all market speculation with that first line? 

COME ON NINTENDO PUT US OUT OF OUR MISERY ALREADY AND TAKE MY GOSH DARN MONEY

Bare in mind that this is a machine translation, so I'd take the exact wording with a grain of salt.

But yeah, the rumours are heating up now and are starting to come from more reputable outlets... Once we see the Nikkei throw their hat into the ring, that's when you know for sure that there's true smoke coming from this fire! :hehe:

Edited by Dcubed

6 minutes ago, Cube said:

Somehow, the Wii U returned.

(Surely if it's dual screen, then one of the screens will be detachable and usable in TV mode?)

My running theory for the past couple of years or so has been a dual screen design using a foldable screen.  One large display that can be folded over to make a dual screen display when needed.  That way, it can be used as a traditional horizontal 16:9 handheld display, but it can also be used in a vertical orientation like a DS; or even used in Tabletop mode as a front and back dual display (perfect for local splitscreen multiplayer!).

With this device, Nintendo would move away from the mechanical rails for the Joycons in favour of electromagnets with QI charging (something previously rumoured, but I came up with the idea first of course ;)).

Of course, it remains to be seen what they would do in TV mode though... Perhaps a screen on the dock itself?

Surely they're not doing dual screen, it seems like too risky a move for me.

And yeah, I don't buy that they have started manufacturing in China when it's widely know that they have shifted production to Thailand, unless the Chinese factory is producing prototype models in smaller quantities to serve as a guide for the Thai factory. That seems unlikely though, there would be no reason why the Thai factory couldn't produce the prototypes themselves.

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Nintendo moved over all of their console manufacturing to Malaysia about 5 years ago

14 minutes ago, killthenet said:

And yeah, I don't buy that they have started manufacturing in China when it's widely know that they have shifted production to Thailand

Malaysia?

Thailand? 

Dual screens?

Electromagnets? 

psycho-mantis-card-keys.gif

Spoiler

Thanks guys, I'd completely missed that they'd moved production to Cambodia :p

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Surely they're not doing dual screen, it seems like too risky a move for me.

Risky? A feature from one of the most successful handheld Nintendo consoles of all time? I see it differently.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

Risky? A feature from one of the most successful handheld Nintendo consoles of all time? I see it differently.

This.

Plus the fact that we now have portable PCs like Steam Deck that have stolen the Switch's core USP.  I'd say that a new Nintendo console that attempts nothing new or novel is in of itself a huge risk.

I don't doubt that they would do cool things with it or that I would welcome a return of dual screen gaming, just that it seems like there is less chance of a DS Switch 2 being a runaway success than an 'incremental' upgrade that keeps the same form factor of the original Switch

Yes the likes of the Steam Deck and ROG Ally have diminished some of the Switch USP but they are not mass market products in the way the Switch is. The average member of the general public has no idea what a Steam Deck is, Nintendo still have a market penetration that dwarfs the handheld PC space. A Switch 2 that plays it safe would absolutely sell, maybe not Switch levels of success but it would by no means be a failure 

Edited by killthenet

On 9/15/2024 at 11:26 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

What would be the breaking point price for you to say "No" when it comes to the Switch successor.

Interesting question.
For me it would be a matter of several things combined with the price:

• launch titles that actually interest me - sadly I doubt that will happen as I've had barely if any interest in any of Nintendo's recent output
  • if they go with Joy-Cons again: hall effect (i.e. no drift) sticks and make them more ergonomic - the current Joy-Cons are probably the worst and most uncomfortable controllers I've ever held in my hands
  • OLED right from the get-go
  • a decent enough upgrade regarding specs

If all of this happens, I could see myself spending 400€ on the device + whatever one game will cost. Maybe I could go up to 500€ in total.

Edited by drahkon

Switch 2 being dual screen makes sense: it's one of the few features from older Nintendo consoles that the Switch can't easily replicate.

With a dual screen, we can actually see 3DS remasters/ports. And a Nintendo DS NSO.

On 9/15/2024 at 10:26 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

Let's say the Switch 2 is just a more powerful version of the original. How much are people willing to pay for it? 

With the PS5 Pro being announced, there's been a lot of talk about the price of consoles and people potentially being priced out of the hobby if they continue to rise.

What would be the breaking point price for you to say "No" when it comes to the Switch successor.

I'd go up to £450, day 1 for me.

I held off for too long on the Switch after being badly burnt by the Wii U. That won't happen this time. Last 2 and half years owning a Switch has restored my faith in Nintendo.

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

They defo won't call it Switch 2. Such a boring iterative name just isn't their style.

Yes, that's the one thing that's raising a red flag. It's too safe.

They would be stupid not to. They have so much momentum right now with the Switch brand.

Has the Nintendo brand and their IPs ever been this strong?

They have to nail the marketing to the successor to their most successful console.

Stick a 2 on the end, it's simple. For once, play it safe.

No repeat of the disaster that was the Wii U. No unnecessary gimmicks.

On 9/15/2024 at 10:26 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

Let's say the Switch 2 is just a more powerful version of the original. How much are people willing to pay for it? 

With the PS5 Pro being announced, there's been a lot of talk about the price of consoles and people potentially being priced out of the hobby if they continue to rise.

I think around £400 is around the most I would pay for a Switch 2. The only reason I can think of that would make me not want to buy it, would be if it didn't have backwards compatibility... but even then I think I still would buy it eventually

Edited by Helmsly

If the console doesn't have 'Switch' in the title, what are they going to do with the name of 'Nintendo Switch Online' and all of the accompanying apps?

Even when it launched, I never understood why they didn't just call it 'Nintendo Online' that would work for any console or device now and moving forward.

It could be fun having to have a 'Nintendo Switch Online' subscription to play stuff like the NES and SNES games online (assuming they're backwards compatible) but also have to pay for a completely separate 'Nintendo [CONSOLE NAME] Online' subscription with specific titles for the new platform.

Obviously that isn't going to happen but it's still a thing that doesn't have an 'obvious' answer to me unless the system is Nintendo Switch 2, Nintendo Switch Ultra or some other variant with Switch in the title!

As for all of this dual screen talk, the only implementation I see is allowing the system to communicate wirelessly with the dock to allow for Wii U-style experiences as well as offering the opportunity to bring DS and 3DS games with greater ease and results.

I think the console will basically be able to play any game from any Nintendo system ever made should they choose to remake or remaster it. Heck, even Virtual Boy and Super Scope games could be done with some sort of headset or attachment 😅