Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Metroid Prime 4 Beyond (Switch 2025)

Cube

• 4 months later...

Between this getting restarted from scratch and Retro's general lack of anything in 5-6 years it seems like a big waste of resources. Credit to Nintendo for not shipping subpar games though, especially in a franchise that's kind of on thin ice.

• Like 1

But then again:

"And lastly, Mr. Tanabe I can't not ask you about a certain other project you're working on - Metroid Prime 4. We haven't seen anything of it at all this E3. Do you have an update for fans waiting patiently for it?

Tanabe: I shouldn't say, it's a little tricky... To be completely honest, at this E3 I just want people to pay attention to Luigi. If I mention something about Metroid Prime 4, people will focus on that. But when the time comes, I am so ready to talk about it!"

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-18-luigis-mansion-3-developers-talk-cut-ideas-labo-and-birdo

So it seems that they could have shown something this year had they chosen to.

What does an art director do that impacts gameplay? Isn't it more stuff like how the world looks that can be changed within a few weeks and doesn¨t affect the gameplay?

3 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

But then again:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-18-luigis-mansion-3-developers-talk-cut-ideas-labo-and-birdo

So it seems that they could have shown something this year had they chosen to.

What does an art director do that impacts gameplay? Isn't it more stuff like how the world looks that can be changed within a few weeks and doesn¨t affect the gameplay?

If i'm not mistaken, the art director is responsible for a game's visual aesthetic, which is pretty major. It's him/her who decides the exact brand of creepy/serious/realistic/wacky a game is going for. Consequently, how well an animation or model gels with the gameplay, if only aesthetically.

For example, in Fire Emblem Awakening, it was the art director, not the artist, who decided that Armour Knights should have enormous shoulders and cavaliers should have toilet helmets. These decisions easily take me out of the game, since they're so ludicrous. Metroid depends a lot in aesthetic to be memorable.

If they haven't settled on an art director yet, then MP4 is very far away. Might be they worked on the gameplay engine and level structure first, then want to build a world around that... But it's still a big chunk of the game.

If they have worked on modelling the environments first then that would constitute some progress, especially if Nintendo wants to make sure the gameplay foundation is there before anything else. If that's the case they are probably on Retro's computers as massive grey shaped objects with no detail.

A game like this probably isn't going to be out until 2022 at least anyway. Nintendo wanted to focus on things coming up this year and next year, Metroid Prime 4 was scrapped entirely and restarted again so I think that's why they didn't show anything.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Julius said:

So I'm not saying that this is a sign that we'll see the game this year...

...but I'm also not saying that it's not a sign that we'll see the game this year :p

I love how everyone on Twitter is going crazy from this!

27 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I despair at the thought that people are going crazy over something so trivial.

I want more Metroid Prime, man, but there's plenty of other games to tide me over.

People have been waiting for news about this game for nearly 5 years, it's ok to be excited that it's finally happening.

8 hours ago, Kav said:

I love how everyone on Twitter is going crazy from this!

People also went nuts when Retro Studios posted about BBQ and started theorizing that it was Metroid Prime (rib) related. People be crazy. :D 

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

...but there's plenty of other games to tide me over.

Indeed. Although it is easy for me to take this stance as I'm not huge on the Prime series. 

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

Looks utterly stunning, and (thankfully!) like a proper Metroid Prime game and not horrible open world garbage.

Kensuke Tanabe finally gets to live his 19 year long dream of bringing Sylux into a proper Metroid game as well.  Good for him!

While I do think it's a waste to put it out on the current Switch, I'm sure it'll get the BOTW treatment and end up being the Switch 2's big marque launch day title as a cross-gen release.

• Thanks 1

Calling it now.  This game’s story is gonna be centred around the creation of the Mochtroids.

Sylux in the trailer is seen standing alongside a pair of Mochtroids (note the reduced number of nucleae and thinner skin compared to normal Metroids).  They appear to be under his direct control and aren’t acting wildly like a normal Metroid either.

Mochtroids debuted in the Maridia section of Super Metroid, which fits the series timeline here; since the Prime games take place between Metroid 1 & 2… and you know what’s the only other game to feature the Mochtroids? The Metroid Prime Hunters First Hunt demo, that’s right, the DEMO.  Not even the full game lol.

Metroid-likes under the direct control of an antagonist would make for a pretty cool plot line here, and it would also fit in nicely with the series’ overarching theme of foolish people messing around with biology and supernatural phenomena in an attempt to control said phenomena to disastrous consequences… including the Chozo creating the Metroids to control the X-Parasites, the Space Pirates and Federation trying to control Phazon, the Federation trying to control the Metroids themselves after wiping out the Space Pirates (who themselves tried to control Metroids) and indeed…

Spoiler

Raven Beak creating and failing to control Samus

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This aint it fellas.

The gameplay and graphics are from a bygone era and it doesn't seem to have a clear identity, which isn't a surprise given all the development complications.

Prime remains in my top three games of all time, but I made my peace with the series after the disappointment of Corruption - very glad I didn't have any emotional investment in how the series would pan out!

• Like 1