NEurope
Shorty

This amazing month in gaming

I've said it a few times already but I just want to memorialise how insane this month is.

Actually I need to slightly stretch the definition of month because I'm going from Mar 3 - Apr 11

A new Nintendo console and Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Nobody knew for sure if Zelda would be as good as it looked, but for me it's knocked it out of the park 110%.

Horizon: Zero Dawn

When this was announced, I thought it had a lot of promise but would ultimately let us down. Right up until launch many were skeptical that it would be empty and repetitive. And then it turned out to be deep and clever and gorgeous and get loads of high scores.

Mass Effect: Andromeda (March 23)

Mass Effect is definitely in my top five game series of all time. Again I'm skeptical of whether it'll be good, but hopefully it follows the trend of the rest of the games on this list!

Nier Automata

I played the demo for this, and while it was enjoyable, I figured it would ultimately be bland and repetitive. A fun action game no doubt, but short and simple. And here it is, scoring higher on average than Horizon. Did anyone expect this??

Persona 5 (April 4)

If pushed I might say that Zelda, Mass Effect and Persona make up my top three. And by many accounts, this is the best Persona game to date. You'd figure they'd start to drop the ball eventually, release a crappy entry, and yet it seems we're set to dethrone even the amazing Persona 4.

Yooka Laylee (April 11)

The Rare team that brought us BK is back and hoping to recapture that original magic. Crowdfunded this so it's one of the few on the list I'll be getting with my bank account still struggling after that Switch purchase!

Honorable mentions that fall outside the month window

Nioh

Resident Evil 7

Night in the Woods

Yakuza 0

There are so many games that there's no way I can pick them all up any time soon. I have to pick and choose the ones I really want and the rest will have to wait! This little period is so tightly packed that I genuinely think it will confuse sales figures for a little while. I'm really looking forward to Horizon, Nier and Nioh but all three will definitely wait. Mass Effect is a maybe with only Persona 5 currently pre-ordered. But I can't wait to play them all!

How will the rest of the year even compare??

Yeah this month or so is madness. Switch is also getting Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ which is an expansion on pretty much the best indie game ever made. Crazy time for gaming.

I'm considering cancelling my Mass Effect pre order because Zelda looks like it'll take me months to finish. What are the chances Mass Effect will have a price drop a couple of months after launch?

Well you might as well cancel it. There'll definitely be stock a couple of months after launch even if there is no price drop, so what benefit are you having in keeping it? Pre-order bonus?

I'm absolutely loving Zelda, I'm really looking forward to Mass Effect and Yooka-Laylee.

Oh, and there's also Thimbleweed Park, a 2D point and click adventure from Ron Gilbert.

I'll need to make sure I complete Zelda by the time Mass Effect comes out because I'll be starting that straight away.

It has been an incredible start of the year for games though. I'm still only 3 chapters into Yakuza 0 so I need get back to that. I'll be buying Horizon when theres finally a lull and Persona 5 is an absolute must for me.

Zelda should keep me busy for a long time.

Dragon Quest Heroes II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Puyo Puyo Tetris all come out on the same day. My poor wallet.

I'm most excited for Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Yeah, more money would come in handy!

A new Nintendo console and Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Got it!

Horizon: Zero Dawn - If I had a PS4, this would most likely be day 1. Will get some day.

Mass Effect: Andromeda (March 23) - Pre-ordered!

Nier Automata - Perhaps not day 1, but would probably get it if I had a PS4.. Though I may actually end up buying it for Steam, depending on physical release.

Persona 5 (April 4) - Same as Horizon.

Yooka Laylee (April 11) - Day 1. Whenever that is for Switch.

Honorable mentions that fall outside the month window

Nioh - Interested, but would not be a priority if I had a PS4.

Resident Evil 7 - Interested, but not a priority. But I'm most likely getting a physical PC copy when it's on sale.. Though this seems like a game you should first experience in VR, so it'll have to wait until I have an Oculus.

Night in the Woods - No idea what this is.

Yakuza 0 - Someone on this forum actually got me interested in this series in the Yakuza thread. Had no prior interest in this at all, but now I'd be definitely up for consideration if I had a PS4.

Its too amazing! i've just moved house i don't have the time or money to handle the levels of awesome

I hate this, there's too much good stuff and I have moving planned at some point, Already pre-bought Yooka Laylee and Akiba's Beat collectors edition, with Zelda Breath of the Wild, Veoz and Bomberman for the Switch and Persona 5 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe pre-ordered I've had to wait on Nier Automata and don't really care for Horizon or Mass Effect. Also want Touhou Gensou Wanderer and it equates to too much to play, not enough hours in the day, I'm praying for a Summer drought at this point.

I came to the realisation ages ago that I just don't have the time to play all the games that look good. At least I stopped buying them anyway and building up a backlog.

I think I am going to get HZD, and then later in the year when the fuss has died down I might get a Switch + Zelda.

I haven't been able to keep up with the games for the PS4. In the past a lot of these games would have been released in the Winter. This always allowed me to get through most of them and keep on top of things because I always used my time off work at the end of the year. I hate using holidays at the start of the year ( usually my first holidays from work are in June for E3 ) so i've just gotta suck it up and do the best I can.

I still need to play through Yakuza 0, Horizon, Nier, Gravity Rush, Digimon and Tales of Beseria. There's then Mass Effect, Yooka-Laylee, Dragon Quest Heroes and possibly Persona 5 ( still back and forth as to whether I should buy this ).

The rest of the year should be decent, as well. We have the likes of Destiny 2, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Mario Odyssey hitting, with no doubt many more being announced at E3.

While it has been a pain trying to keep up, on the other hand I think it's great that games are starting to become more spread out throughout the year. It seems a few publishers are leaving the end of the year for a lot of the big hitter yearly titles to duke it out between themselves and then releasing their own games at the start of the year.

Just Zelda(which I've got), probs HZD and Yooka-Laylee for me from the list. I'm already struggling for time with Zelda, and have sights on Stardew Valley - but with HZD and Yooka-Laylee on top of Zelda AND the occasional Overwatching still I'm far to spoiled for content vs time alone. Definitely agree it's a crazy month though - if I had a Switch Zelda and Yooka-Laylee alone are pretty nice starters for the system.

Just Zelda(which I've got), probs HZD and Yooka-Laylee for me from the list. I'm already struggling for time with Zelda, and have sights on Stardew Valley - but with HZD and Yooka-Laylee on top of Zelda AND the occasional Overwatching still I'm far to spoiled for content vs time alone. Definitely agree it's a crazy month though - if I had a Switch Zelda and Yooka-Laylee alone are pretty nice starters for the system.

Bah! I forgot that was due for a retail release very soon.

*adds to the list*

It really has been a crazy couple of weeks with the amount of high quality releases. It used to be a couple of high quality titles through to the summer but this year really has hit it out of the park and we're only in March. I've lost count of the number of games that have been released recently and that are coming out soon that I'm wanting to play. It's safe to say there won't be a gaming drought in my household over the summer as I'll probably be still playing through the first 3 months worth of games into the autumn.

Like others, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on Mass Effect Andromeda next week but it really does have some big shoes to fill. I loved the original trilogy (ME3 ending included) and some of the DLC released for those titles are some of the best add-on content to game I feel that's been released. I'm somewhat worried where they'll go with Andromeda. I'm hoping for their sake that they're not going to run a narrative that follows a similar pattern to the original trilogy (I remember a year or so back hearing rumour of an ancient race called the Harvesters or something that were going to take front and centre in the story). It's still something I'll play even if the review come out slating it because it's Mass Effect. Would still love the original trilogy to be re-released on the PS4/Xbox One though.

(I remember a year or so back hearing rumour of an ancient race called the Harvesters or something that were going to take front and centre in the story)

I heard that they destroy and enslave every planet they come across...but give you unlimited trips to the salad bar, so it's not so bad.

Mass Effect is going to lose out. After I'm done with Horizon, I'm going to give Zelda a go hopefully. And then Persona 5.

Thankfully I've completed Zelda now so I'll see how far I get in my Mass Effect trilogy replay before Andromeda comes out and then move onto that. I should at least finish ME 2 as I'm about 12 hours through that already. Then of course Persona 5 which will keep me going for quite a while. Horizon and Yakuza 0 will come after that.

I do also plan to get Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Puyo Puyo Tetris on the Switch but those are two that will be easy to play in breaks or when watching Youtube so I'll play them as I get them.

So Yooka-Laylee and Mass Effect may have put a dampener on this otherwise stellar list. Neither game is bad by any means, they just both generated such high expectations and then struggled to meet them. In both instances, it seems deadlines and budgets probably got in the way of an otherwise flawless delivery.