N-Europe

Official Gamecube to Wii U Controller Adapter announced!

Dcubed

Explain. Why is it gone?

1. I don't think I'll get good value-for-money (even with some of the deals floating around) for me personally. Meaning I don't think it's worth it for me to pay 250€ for a console and - more importantly - a controller (i.e. Gamepad) that I think is redundant

2. Smash Bros will cost another 55€.

3. We don't know the pricing of the adapter, but I estimate it will cost around as much as a game, which means I'd be paying 350€ in total just to play one game (I'd need that adapter, because it's a multiplayer game and many of my friends use GC controllers)

Even it will cost less I'm not willing to pay that much...

250€ for a bundle (as mentioned in my last post)...even then I'd probably pass.

:( I want it, though...dat logo on the controller...

Edit: It's just personal opinion, the topic has been discussed at length and I don't want to start a barfight in here. So people: Calm your tits :p

3. We don't know the pricing of the adapter, but I estimate it will cost around as much as a game, which means I'd be paying 350€ in total just to play one game (I'd need that adapter, because it's a multiplayer game and many of my friends use GC controllers)

Somehow I doubt the adapter is going to cost the same price as a game. It'll be £15 at most.

• 1 month later...

PDP Replica Gamecube Controller:

DQyflpZ.jpg

FEATURES:

Officially Licensed by Nintendo

Replica GameCube Controller – Preferred Fight pad for the Super Smash Bros fan

Completely compatible with upcoming Super Smash Bros for Wii U

Compatible with all Wii/Wii U games that support Classic Controller and Classic Controller Pro, as well as most Nintendo Virtual Console games

Select your favorite Nintendo character - Mario, Princess Peach, or Yoshi

Up for pre-order at ShopTo

So those controllers plug straight into the Wii Remote rather than being fully functioning GameCube controllers. I'm a little disappointed about that. I'm guessing these are the ones we saw photos of a bit ago so I'm also a bit disappointed that they're made by PDP instead of Nintendo. I've had no problem with PDP in the past but their shape is just that little bit off which takes them into dodgy third party controller territory.

I don't understand why Nintendo would license this product out when they've announced an adapter for GameCube controllers. I assume that now there'll be these Wii GameCube Controllers and then proper GameCube controllers for the adapter.

Why can't they just make a wireless GameCube pad with less bulk than the Wavebird and make it natively support the Wii U? Seems daft that you've got to plug this into a Wii controller.

It's probably to retain compatibility with Wii games. But I agree with you, make it emulate the Pro Controller (complete with rumble!) instead of the Classic Controller and it'd be excellent.

So those controllers plug straight into the Wii Remote rather than being fully functioning GameCube controllers. I'm a little disappointed about that.
Oh. That's pretty crappy then.

I just assumed these would connect to the GCN adapter. :blank:

Not a fan of the glossy finish (or designs) they've used anyway.

I'm going to either repair the analog stick on my original GCN controllers, or just get the new official one.

Doesn't this tell you something about the way Nintendo have gone with their philosophy? They've made the Wiimote, the nunchuk, the GamePad and all of the accessories in between. And, all that the fans want is...to be able to use a simple GameCube controller for Smash Bros.

Makes you wonder what they'll do with the next console. I'd go back personally and use that GC controller as some sort of template. Like Sony have done with the DualShock and MS have done with the...thing. Use that as a starting point and improve that. You could put the gyroscopes in that, keeping some of the motion controls. Improve the shoulder buttons, give it a better d-pad, update the whole thing for the next generation. Boom. Winrar.

Yeah, they should definitely use the GameCube pad as a template. Add on '+', '-'. 'Home' and whatever else they need, but keep it very, very like the GC controller and make it like the PS3 pad where you can use it wired or wireless - whichever you prefer.