N-Europe

Red Dwarf

Cube

oj359x.jpg

The new series has finished filming. I've heard good things from a few reports from the live audience. No plot details, just that the cast still works well together and stuff like that.

I also like the look of the set in the photo. It's updated with new technology, but still looks extremely retro at the same time. It looks like they've learnt from the "set" of Back to Earth, which was too CGI, clean and bright.

I'm really looking forward to this.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good lord, I was just thinking this afternoon how shitty and sad series 7 and 8 made me... I... I... I just couldn't stand it if it was another disappointment....

Series 8 wasn't shit (it wasn't as good as 2-6 but still good). Series 7 however WAS a pile of crap.

Back to Earth wasn't that great, but it seems that they're doing everything right with this series so far. I'm a bit nervous that they might ruin the series' legacy with this one, but I'm cautiously optimistic so far :)

I think the show works best with Lister, Rimmer, Cat and Kryten. The removal of Rimmer in season 7 and the addition of Kochanski didn't work. She's fine for one-off appearances. I also didn't like all the extra cast in season 8.

I think the show works best with Lister, Rimmer, Cat and Kryten. The removal of Rimmer in season 7 and the addition of Kochanski didn't work. She's fine for one-off appearances. I also didn't like all the extra cast in season 8.

And Holly!

I didn't think 7 or 8 were shit either.

7 was more focused on story than comedy and it did well with that. However it was the first series not to be in front of an audience and as such was filmed weirdly.

This classic moment was from series 7 for instance.

8 had it's moments too. The cassandra episode was fantastic.

Back to earth was meh though...

I don't know. Rimmer and Lister's relationship with captain hollister(sp?) in some of the episodes like Pete part 1 was fantastic. I will agree with Kochanski was completely unneeded and probably so was Holly.

KRYTEN

'Boing!', the virility enhancement drug!?

LISTER

That's the stuff, and we've Mickey Finn'd their drinks.

RIMMER

Within seconds, you're harder than a quadratic equation

brilliance:D

Edited by mcj metroid
Automerged Doublepost

And Holly!

The problem with Holly was he/she kind of became redundant when Kryten joined the show though as he was the one who provided the scientific know how and the plot exposition that came with.

As much as I loved Kryten I did find prefer Holly in a lot of ways.

I loved Back to Earth but it was somewhat stale in terms of outright right laughs and I'm glad I think they've gone back to the live studio audience as I feel that is what created the characters and without that it lost something about their performances.

1,2,3 are my outright favourite the writing is so much tighter and being stuck on the ship a lot more meant that they could't rely on too much jumping location. 7 for what it was going for was better in that way but it's not what a lot of people were looking for. 8 for me was a travesty they went back to Red Dwarf and trying to be funny in the old ways but it flat out wasn't funny enough.

I randomly watched Statis Leak the other still one of my all time fav episodes the other day.

We should have a Red Dwarf Club or summit, watch episodes in order and discuss them in turn.

Then I don't know what to say. Watch something better, I guess?

I'm sure Bard has some good advice on expanding your horizons to weed out the trash. :p

I think what you actually meant to say was "I don't like Red Dwarf, I must be broken."

Red Dwarf is one of the funniest, imaginative pieces of television to come out of our country. Sure, it went downhill as the years went on, but there are some absolutely classic characters, episodes and moments.

I thought Back to Earth was decent, just not the return the show deserved. Here's hoping this new series will do the show and characters justice. A friend of mine saw a new episode being taped and was pretty impressed, so that's at least positive.

Looks like they're back on Starbug!

Brilliant!! :D

Thse were the best series IMO.

I don't feel they were at all....sure there were some stand out fantastic episodes that are up there with the best but I prefered the feel of the 1st few seasons as they allowed for much slower burn conversations such this one;

My favourite Red Dwarf scene has to be this:

I always prefer the first 2 seasons on Red Dwarf, the jokes seemed better when they had less to work with.

Yes I feel it drew more out of the writers in terms of the characters rather than relying on a new planet/location/alien each week. I do not think the characters we have grown to love would exist if it hadn't been for those formative years existing in the way they did.