N-Europe

IGN: Mario Games Haven't Evolved

Hero-of-Time

I've just seen this over on Gaf and had to post it here. The whole article (HERE ) goes on about platformers but here is the real gem.

The LittleBigPlanet series is obviously one of the few exceptions, but those titles are much more than just platformers. The company that is truly bucking the trend is Nintendo. What other company still charges full price for a classic platformer experience? In the last couple of years we've had New Super Mario Bros., DKC Returns and Kirby's Epic Yarn to name a few. These titles are obviously Nintendo's bread and butter, but it does put the company at odds with the rest of the industry.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mario, Donkey Kong and Kirby as much as the next guy, but it can't be denied that these games are selling gameplay that hasn't necessarily evolved since the NES and SNES eras, at five times the price of new and original games being released on PSN, Steam and XBLA. These titles don't have the added bonuses of HD graphics, online play, leaderboards, true 5.1 sound and the potential for DLC expansions.

Seriously? So because of the lack of HD graphics online play and leaderboards Mario/Kirby/DK haven't evolved? Idiots.

KirbyAdventure_2.png

scrn_kirbysEpicYarn02-630x360.jpg

nes_super_mario_bros.png

Twist-in-classic.png

Sure. :heh:

IGN... lol.

In fairness your quote does state NSMB and not Galaxy :heh: ...NSMB, imo, is a series of uninspiring Mario platformers. :hmm: Its a devolved Mario, so I'd agree Nintendo should spice that line up a bit. Kirby on the other hand, is almost a completely new game every single time! They just plonk that little guy into whatever miscellaneous idea they come up with, haha.

I might have to read the whole article later cos I want to see what examples they offer of games that are constantly driving their genre forward. It'll be the first time I've been on IGN in yonks, wish me luck.

IGN... lol.

In fairness your quote does state NSMB and not Galaxy :heh: ...NSMB, imo, is a series of uninspiring Mario platformers. :hmm: Its a devolved Mario, so I'd agree Nintendo should spice that line up a bit. Kirby on the other hand, is almost a completely new game every single time! They just plonk that little guy into whatever miscellaneous idea they come up with, haha.

I might have to read the whole article later cos I want to see what examples they offer of games that are constantly driving their genre forward. It'll be the first time I've been on IGN in yonks, wish me luck.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

I thought NSMB Wii got much better the more you played through it, especially the hidden levels, which were frustrating but fun at the same time. Add to the mix that it was multiplayer and this changed the whole way you played the game. NSMB DS not so much. :D

Maybe they've changed, but they could have evolved more! It's as if someone pressed B on these projects.

Galaxy, as I say time and time again, whilst maybe evolving graphically, I find to be weak in its linear nature compared to SM64.

Leaderboards and DLC are fucking destroying gaming.

Am I the only one that sees this?

I care not for leaderboards but DLC is welcome IF it's handled correctly. I care not for none of this pants where a developer puts the DLC on the disc and you essentially have to pay for them to unlock it. Extra maps, characters etc are a welcome addition to multiplayer games.

In terms of a Mario game it's just not needed. There is a time and place for DLC but a Mario platformer isn't one of them. Sure it may be nice to download a new Galaxy for Mario Galaxy1/2 but it's not neccesary at all.

Just look at all the unused ideas Nintendo had for Mario Galaxy. Other companies may have drip fed us these ideas via DLC and we would have ended up paying a fortune. Nintendo did the right thing and held them back to make a bigger, and in my opinion better, sequel.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mario, Donkey Kong and Kirby as much as the next guy, but it can't be denied that these games are selling gameplay that hasn't necessarily evolved since the NES and SNES eras, at five times the price of new and original games being released on PSN, Steam and XBLA.

The way I understand it he seems to be complaining about the price. He's reasoning that you can get downloadable games on PSN, XBLA and Steam for a lower price than a Nintendo platformer (which plays like classic Nintendo platformers) although more work went into them.

Please mind this is not my opinion but how I understand his.

The way I understand it he seems to be complaining about the price. He's reasoning that you can get downloadable games on PSN, XBLA and Steam for a lower price than a Nintendo platformer (which plays like classic Nintendo platformers) although more work went into them.

Please mind this is not my opinion but how I understand his.

That's how I read it to and all I can say is that if these games are that good, then they should be putting them to retail and see how they fair... except they'd all die a quick death.

The author completely misses the fact that the games mentioned are for systems that aren't associated with platformers and so they stand out a bit more in the online shops in same way a shooting game stands out on the Wii for being just that - a shooter on the Wii. And they aren't competing against established franchises.

The article makes no mention of a deterioration in the quality of Nintendo's staple franchises. They may not have "evolved" in sense they do a bunch of new things but then if they did, they wouldn't be Mario/Kirby/DK games. Fact is, Nintendo are the only ones doing such obvious oldschool platform games on a big scale.

They aren't capitalising on a "retro" fad although if they were, they are the ones to start it with NSMB on the DS. 3 games (4 after the new Kirby) in 5 years (and by different developers too) is hardly exploitative of a market they made and know like the back of their hands.

Nintendo's own games are too big for their download service and half their install base doesn't know it exists anyway. Nintendo's games need to go to retail and they need advertising - something that isn't cheap. It can easily double the investment cost of a game and as the publisher, that's all on Nintendo.

IGN... lol.
IGN HASN'T EVOLVED!

They are still as useless as ever. :p

says it all! IGN have been useless for years

Leaderboards and DLC are fucking destroying gaming.

Am I the only one that sees this?

your not the only one! some games Leaderboards can work, but other games just don't need them at all but yet they shoe horn in challenges and timed sections which feel solely so they can have an online leaderboard and then they can stamp it has online abilities on the packaging

So the author wants 2D/sidescrolling games to have 5.1 surround sound?

Joke article?

you'd think right? but it is IGN

surround sound for a 2d sidescroller HA what next first person views for football games (don't tell me its been done :nono:)

Maybe they've changed, but they could have evolved more! It's as if someone pressed B on these projects.

Galaxy, as I say time and time again, whilst maybe evolving graphically, I find to be weak in its linear nature compared to SM64.

Honestly, it's just a design choice. Many of the stars in Galaxy wouldn't have worked as they did if they had used Mario 64's open ended worlds.

Sunshine had no excuse, though. The levels were designed like in SM64, but used Galaxy's linear system. That was terrible move by the developers, and they should feel bad for it.

To keep on with the thread, you can't spell "Indignant fans" without IGN etc.

Online gameplay is great. Motion controls when used effectively and at the right time are great. DLC when used effectively is great. HD graphics when used in the right way are great.

However, you don't need all of these to have a great game. This article is first class horseshit. You don't need online play in something like Super Mario Galaxy. It doesn't need DLC. Why shoe-horn something into the game when it simply isn't needed.

This is the problem with this current generation of gamers. The online addicts that must have online gameplay with headsets and keyboards, with multiple DLC packs and state of the art photo realistic graphics. If a game doesn't have all of these features, it's seen as "behind the times." As long as people are enjoying the game, and Nintendo are enjoying making these games, what's the problem? Galaxy was a good evolution of the Mario Series, in my opinion. It was a headfuck to play at times.