N-Europe

Recommend me some films, bitches!

dukkadukka

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Black Stallion. Barely anyone's seen it. EVRYONE SHOULD SEE IT. It's about this kid who ends up becoming friends with this wild horse (trust me it's much better then it sounds). It's extaraordinarly well wrought. There's a single line of dialogue in the whole 2 hour film. Amazingly shot, great acting. Brilliant story. Fantastic.

That, or Hercules in New York, starring Arnold "Strong" (geuss who) in his movie debut. It's hilariously funny, but for all the wrong reasons. Definitly recommended.

Menance 2 Society : Ghetto hood film, tis the bollocks

Dont be a menance to south central while drinking your juice in the hood : Skit off Menance 2 society, boys in the hood, and other ghetto films

Green Street ; Footy hooligan film with frodo in it, out on boxing day.

Good will hunting "how bout them apples"

"I don't like the sound of them apples Will, what we gonna do?"

"It's hunting season"

Quotage from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, also see Clerks, Mallrats, Dogma etc. but avoid Jersey Girl.

Oh and.... Gremlins and Gremlins 2: The New Batch. (Owario, what if I have a baseball bat repellant chainsaw? :heh: )

Bond? What about Bond? Can't go wrong with Bond!

You may also want to check out:

The Usual Suspects

12 Angry Men

Yup, yup!

Unforgiven - I hate westerns but this film is seriously good.

Waking Life - how many times do i have to say this! Great basic philosophy movie with lots to talk about throughout and afterwards. Animated in a way that, unlike Sin City, doesn't get old after the first viewing.

Catch Me If You Can - Good film! Everyone's seen it surely.

Adaptation a 'clever' film that hsa a rubbish ending ON PURPOSE!

The Constant Gardener depressing in it's realism, but a great telling of a story.

American Beauty, but you'll have seen this.

Any Steve Buscemi Film, pretty much. I've been impressed with all teh ones I've seen.

Not really got any more movies but I feel like there are more on teh tip of my mind - I'll get back to you. hopefully with some more obscure titles so everyone is dead impressed.

The Constant Gardener depressing in it's realism, but a great telling of a story.

he's right, this is a brilliant film. i did find that the talk of drug companies and and politics got a bit too complex at times, but other than that a hugely enjoyable film.

i'm sure we've spoken to each other before about waking life, but i was just wondering if you'd seen any other similar movies worth recommending? slacker was great, but pales in comparison to waking life. any other philosophical movies around?

it's kinda creepy you said adaptation, because i'm downloading the (legal) torrent right now, it sounds like my cup of tea.

Truman Show

Remember: It has Jim Carrey, but it's not a comedy, and you really need to watch it twice to fully understand it all. It's brilliant - very powerful and highly satirical.

Also: Gattaca. Also brilliant. Which I think I will watch right...... now.

Well I've only seen two films since...like October and I'd recommend both. They are Serenity and Mysterious Skin. Although Mysterious Skin is about 18 year olds who were raped by their coach when they were young - its a serious issue but a beautiful movie. Slightly disturbing but has a great performance by Joseph Gordan "That Kid From Third Rock" Levvit.

Excellent film! I like my westerns mostly, and Tomb Stone is an excellent example of a Spagetti Western.

Its no Once Upon a Time In The West though.

Erm anyway some recomendations not sure how many of these have been mentioned but as you like Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind, Im pretty confident you will enjoy Being John Malkovich and Requeim For a Dream. Also Pi as well actualy.

Anyway ill just wack 5 recomendations in being my current top 5 films if you will.

Goodfellas : The ultimate Mafia film imo, with a top notch story and some very good performances how Scorsese didnt get an Oscar for this ill never know (dances with wolves ffs)

Apocalypse Now (but not Redux) : Not your average War film infact it features very little actualy fighting, sort of. Marlon Brando puts in a brilliant performance as ever

Clerks : Such a funny film brilliant all the way through.

Pulp Fiction : A good story, great cast Tarrantino at his finest.

Fargo : The Cohen brothers finest, although the humour can get very dark in places. Imo better then The Big Lebowski although thats well up there.