NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

I never understood why Courteney Cox looked worse in every Scream sequel. I was relieved to see her look normal in the latest movie.

I actually watched Scream 4 the other day, and I was content.

Most certainly on level-terms with the first. Watched it this afternoon, very enjoyable. Some great stuff to be had, most certainly worth watching.

Word, a fine ending for the series [the main bunch bit, I'm sure they'll churn out a few ones with random Stifler members again]

I loved the fourth. Yes, it was lacking genuine scares.

I don't want genuine scares, I agree that's not what Scream is about. (Plus I don't find horror movies scary anyway just hilarious) I do want funny deaths though. :p There is no doubt it was fun but it felt like it was trying to be too self referential. :)

I do enjoy the scream series as a whole.

I am in the mood to watch Teenagers die apparently.

Final Destination:

220px-Final_Destination_movie.jpg

It ramped up the deaths towards the end, so redeemed itself. I'll be watching all the rest. :D

I like how every Final Destination movie seems to end with them suddenly deciding that this time they managed to cheat death for good, and then months pass before Death remembers that "oh yeah, I was supposed to kill these guys."

Also, how the main character in the first movie spends the first half trying to figure out what's going on, while the characters in the sequels just go, "hey, this is just like that article I read online!" so there'll be more time for killing people off creatively.

I like how every Final Destination movie seems to end with them suddenly deciding that this time they managed to cheat death for good, and then months pass before Death remembers that "oh yeah, I was supposed to kill these guys."

Also, how the main character in the first movie spends the first half trying to figure out what's going on, while the characters in the sequels just go, "hey, this is just like that article I read online!" so there'll be more time for killing people off creatively.

:D

I've watched one or two of the films recently as they make brilliant background viewing. Totally brainless. But, I lol at those who take the films seriously as a series.

beingelmodvd-f1.jpg

Watched with distractions. Fun documentary though.

Then watched the Scrubs episode with the Sesame Street characters.

Oh God, Scream 4 was awesome. Thanks to you guys, I had to watch it again. I still love it just as much as when I first saw it. The finale scene with Sidney is just BAD-ASS. As Slaggis said, one of the best horror series!

^ Really need to get round to seeing the Darjeeling Limited (and a few of Anderson's older films). Loved Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (the ending is heartwrenching with that Sigor Ros song).

Really looking forward to seeing Anderson's new film, Moonrise Kingdom, which is out on Friday. Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to be a limited release though, which'll make it a pain in the backside to find somewhere showing it. Still, I'll find somewhere showing it as it does look good. Plus, it's got Bill Murray in it :D

Went to see Men In Black 3 last night

Very good I thought, definate redemption for the tripe that was MIB2.

Was worried too that they might frak around too much with the time travel and create a bunch or paradoxes but aside from one scene they kinda covered themselves decently enough.

The scene near the end when J gets shot several times by Boris then tackles Boris off the top of the launch tower then goes back in time 30 seconds so he'll know how to dodge Boris' shots..... yet this has a "rewind" effect instead of the time travel effect it should have had and didn't create 2 Agents J's like it should have :mad:

Josh Brolin did a great job as "young" K, when I saw the trailers I always thought it was him doing the acting but Tommy Lee doing a voice over but it wasn't. He did an awesome impression of Tommy Lee as K.

And Michael Stuhlbarg as Grif was bloody awesome.

EDIT:

Oh and also spotted that my cinema (Storm) is being turned into an Odeon, who bought up all the Storm Cinemas in Ireland. I spotted it back when I saw The Avengers that the credit card machines on the till said "Odeon" on their display but thought nothing of it.

But last night spotted the posters in lobby area all said Odeon on them now so asked the staff when I bought my ticket and food and he told me bout Odeon buying them. Slowly transitioning over, the outside still has a bigass "Storm Cinema" sign which he said should be changed in teh next few weeks. The Storm website too will be closed and they'll be moved to the Odeon site and when it's all sorted they'll have Loyalty Cards... which I could really do with as I'm in there like once a week :heh:

Edited by Mokong

I saw Moonrise Kingdom, Wes Anderson's latest. It's really enjoyable. Very quirky, in his unpretentious way. Recommend - one of those ones that'll put a smile on your smile/make you happy, even if it's just deep in your heart of stone.

Watched half of Mirror, Mirror at the behest of my boyfriend, and fell asleep. I hate shite things. The costuming was interesting, but I bet it looked better on paper.

Went to see Men In Black 3 last night

Very good I thought, definate redemption for the tripe that was MIB2.

Was worried too that they might frak around too much with the time travel and create a bunch or paradoxes but aside from one scene they kinda covered themselves decently enough.

Josh Brolin did a great job as "young" K, when I saw the trailers I always thought it was him doing the acting but Tommy Lee doing a voice over but it wasn't. He did an awesome impression of Tommy Lee as K.

And Michael Stuhlbarg as Grif was bloody awesome.

I watched this last night and whilst I think very good is a bit strong, it's decent enough and like you say, a massive improvement over MIB2. It wasn't quite as funny as I was hoping but kept a smile on my face.

I thought the exact same thing with Brolin after the trailers until someone told me it was him doing the voice too. Tommy Lee Jones was looking particulalry old in his scenes I thought. He looked to be struggling to keep his eyes open and it was like his face was ready to fall off.

Whilst Grif was... err, interesting, I couldn't help but feel he was slightly thrown in just because they needed the typical "vunerable but holder of the secrets" alien like in the other films. Apart from helping them in the set up for the big finale, he didn't really do anything to contribute towards the film.

And whilst the ending had me a little choked up, I think they did over-egg it a bit. I know MIB and subtlty don't go hand in hand but I think they could have used a bit more there.

I really enjoyed it (MIB3). Possibly because i wasn't expecting much, but i thought it was pretty good. It could have been funnier as you said, (the less said about Emma Thompson speaking alien the better) but the plot was engaging and Will Smith was as awesome as ever.

I thought the ending was brill as well,

totally wasn't expecting it. I was a bit welling up as well, and when i went to my girlfriend afterwards 'did you like the ending/did it make you cry' she said 'not really, i didn't really understand it since i havn't seen the first two'. What?! She neglected to tell us as we were deciding what to see that evening that she'd never seen 1 or 2, and didn't have a clue what was going on for a lot of the film! What a fool!

:D

Omg omg omg I want to watch this! Despite the long trailer, it doesn't make me feel like I've already watched the whole thing - a lot of trailers nowadays make me feel like that. I like how the scale of things seems to have gone up from the last movie, I was getting tired of Matt Damon's face. If this turns out to be bad, I can imagine that it's the Hawkeye movie :p

I've finally seen The Hunger Games! I loved it! The books are obviously better and more involved but it's still a great adaptation. Had a friend of mine tell me it's an exact rip-off of Battle Royale but I disagree, except for the obvious, they're both different to me. If anything, it's more like The Running Man. Still, that's for another thread. :p

I also watched Tekken: Blood Vengeance because a mate of mine told me it was good and that I'd love it considering I am a Tekken fan. I didn't. Except for the fight scenes, it bored me a little. A couple of entertaining scenes but all very average.

Had a friend of mine tell me it's an exact rip-off of Battle Royale but I disagree, except for the obvious, they're both different to me. If anything, it's more like The Running Man. Still, that's for another thread. :p

I haven't even read the books yet, and even I can see that's a silly argument. The same basic premise does not a rip-off make.

Watched District 9 last night.

Totally different to what I expected. Not even sure what I expected! :heh:

Left me stunned, for a better word. I am Pajchair. Tackled quite a few difficult themes. The first 20 minutes, I was glued to the screen, quite surreal really.

I miss my Toy Story DVD's. :p

I was gonna bring them back with me from Uni! but decided it against could go for a trilogy day.

I've already seen Toy Story 3 ten times this year. :grin: but still I could have watched it another 2 times this Easter break.

Ah...best recent movie so far. The only reason why I actually went to the cinemas. Otherwise, I just stream my movies because most of them a rubbish nowadays, not worth paying a ticket for.

Snow White and the horny gnomes.

snow_white_and_the_huntsman_movie_poster_1.jpg

It's as average as they come but I enjoyed it. Kristen Stewart pulled out some BIG Keira Knightly acting moves.

Charlize Theron Bathed in what I hoped was milk.

Sir Christopher hemmingtonsworth played a good drunk Thor.

...and the gnomes (I'm aware they are dwarves) were randy as a dog on heat.

Just watched Paul. It was terrible. I had to turn off 3/4 of the way through, when i realised it wasn't going to get any better. Really weak characters, jokes, and everything in it is cliched. It's anti-american in parts, but at the same time horribly yanky, with all the american stereotypes covered. It's just cringy to watch.

Can't believe this is from the same guy who wrote Spaced and Shaun of the Dead. I just found out that Edgar Wright, who usually writes with Pegg, wasn't involved in Paul, which makes me wonder if he's the real talent.

As Otto said in A Fish Called Wanda.... "DISAPPOINTED!!!"