NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

Django-Teaser-Final-jpg_233849.jpg

..... :)

Edited by Murr

I’ve already mentioned this before (somewhere..), but yes, I also like The Matrix sequels. And I saw them in theatre, and I liked them right away, wasn't disappointed by anything, I even like the ending (unlike say.. Mass Effect). All I wanted after the first was to see Zion and see the war between man and machine play out. The sequels delivered..

Might as well give an update on fils seen, it’s been a while.

A long time back I saw Hugo.

It was excellent.. Such a sweet hommage to film.

I also saw Saboteur, a Hitchcock film, some time ago.

I’ve only seen 2 Hitchcock films I think, haven’t even seen Birds fully, but this film, I dunno.. I suspect it isn’t one of his best films? There’s some weird stuff there. Still got that lovely “old movie” feeling though ;)

More recently, I finally had a marathon again, watched 4 films in theatre in a row.

Monsieur Lazhar

Great French drama about an Algerian immigrant in Canada who applies for a teacher job at a school. Both him and the class have some trauma to process. I always love it when I see kid actors giving great performances.

Intouchables

Another French film, this time a comedy, and it’s incredibly funny. About the unlikely pairing of a rich man of high standing with some low class guy who just wants his social welfare check, but reluctantly accept a job to take care of the rich guy, since he’s paralised from the neck. Apparently based on a true story.

(On a sidenote, it’s funny, but I took a french course, and I tried to actually listen to the 2 films. Monsieur Lazhar is definitely easier to understand, as it mostly deals with a teacher and kids on an elementary school.. It was easier french.)

A dangerous method

It’s an interesting film about the lives of Freud and Jung, and the origins of psychoanalysis.. But nothing spectacular. Some wonderful scenery though. And although i didn’t mind her performance in general, I didn’t like Keira’s accent.

Shame

It’s funny to watch this one and A dangerous method back to back.. Fassbender could have been his own patient. Anyway, a great drama. Fassbender is great. I’d say I want to see more of him, but that’s a pretty strange thing to say when commenting on this film. Anyway, poor guy.. The loneliness is dripping from the screen.

The lovely bones

Meh. Was interested in this film when it was released, but never came round to checking it. Finally saw it on television (rarely watch television these days, and I tend to avoid films on commercial stations), but it didn’t excite me. It looked more like a showcase of random imagery. The story itself felt drawn out.

Wuthering heights, A cabin in the woods, and The avengers are among the films I plan to see in the coming weeks, plus the is a horror/fantasy/sci-fi film festival in Amsterdam this month.

I don't know why I'm watching this.

poster.jpg

But hey, I'm halfway through and it's mildly entertaining. Think I'll switch to Infernal Affairs III soon though.

titanic-3d-poster_400x591.jpg

Have always loved the movie and always will. Beautiful.

:heart:/10

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - Elementary my dear Watson/10

Bring on a third.

I was one of them people who had never seen The Godfather before, but upon a recent purchase of the entire trilogy for £20 on blu-ray i have now graced my eyes on it's glory. Why havn't i seen it earlier, the movie is great. Marlon Brando was certainly the best choice for the Don, and seeing Pacino in a very youthful form was surprising. I thought his voice was always husky, so it was a little tricky to work out it was him. Still, an absolute classic movie.

10/10

Planning on watching the 2nd over the weekend, see how Pacino takes the role of Michael further.

Haywire - We have our Wonder Woman/10

I aint kidding, if WB do either a JL movie or WW movie then hire this woman. Give a few acting lessons and boom. Gina Carano = god damn.

I dunno, The Godfather did nothing for me. I prefer cinema to reveal itself through cinematic technique rather than overuse of dialogue and The Godfather was just that. It was so long & drawn out. I fell asleep during.

I fell asleep during the The Godfather 2, but to be fair, i hadn't seen the first one, so it may have been my own fault.

In preparation for

avengers_mr-steed-emma-peel.jpg

I’ve watched both Thor and Captain America, now I’ve seen all the films. Thor was pretty bad as far as story concerned, but I liked the setting / mythology, and the actor did a great job on Thor. And there were the babes of course.. Kat Dennings.. Oh and hello lady Sif! Captain America was much better regarding the story, eventhough it still contained plenty comicy shortcuts and ridiculousness, but what the hell. Both were pretty entertaining if you’re in the mood for simple action films, but Captain America more so. I did like the interweaving of all the mythologies and cameos and such, eventhough I’m not familiar with the characters anyway (Hawkeye). Like how that cube thing at the end of Thor played a major role in Captain America. Anyway, I’m all prepped for The Avengers.

This weekend I shall watch;

536327_10151553842925581_509970580_23843609_810006671_n.jpg

In order to prepare for The Avengers as much as possible.

You thought the story in Thor was bad? I thought it was great/fine.

Still need to watch Captain America, but then I'm all ready.

I've seen all of them pretty recently apart from Hulk, so i might watch that one before Avengers.

Thor was pretty bad as far as story concerned, but I liked the setting / mythology

There was a story?

I'd like to do that but I've not bought any of the films on Bluray (well actually I got Ironman 1 and Hulk on DVD as bday/xmas gifts) as I'm hoping for some kind of awesome boxset when Avengers gets its Bluray release

... Maybe I'll go rent them all the weekend?

Just watched Biutiful, which I've been waiting to see for quite a while.

Definitely got a mixed response from the people in the room watching it with me. But, I loved it.

Incredibly grim film. Tragic, at times horrible, but it is also disturbing considering that these sorts of problems exist in our world.

I love how Bardem's character was portrayed. He has a lot of weight on his shoulders and you can just see things falling apart in his world around him. As an audience, you do empathise with him. Pretty sure there's a lot of symbolism in the film, so that may require a second viewing.

The scene with the warehouse was shocking. Really wasn't expecting that, terribly cruel. The scene which followed soon after with the bodies washing up on the shore made it even more bitter. But, I did feel some sort of release at the end. You do get the feeling that Bardem gets some sort of peace at last knowing that there will be somebody there to look after his kids.

The film is essentially about survival and the moral implications of our actions. You could tell Bardem's character was under a lot of pressure in the film to do the right thing. Buying the heaters, for example, but yet trying to save money for his family.

I would not recommend watching this if you want to watch a film that will put you in a good mood.

Watched Oldboy today for the first time. Started off fantastic, i found it got disappointing quite quickly though, as the story was just all over the place for the sake of imagery. And the imagery was so great at points, that they could have got through on the strength of it, and made the general plot a bit more coherent. I had no idea what was going on at some points, and not in a good way, like in Audition.

To be fair, i did very have high expectations... and i WAS also drunk.

It’s been a while, but from what I recall, the actual story was pretty simple.. Maybe you shouldn’t watch it drunk ;).

Watched Oldboy today for the first time. Started off fantastic, i found it got disappointing quite quickly though, as the story was just all over the place for the sake of imagery. And the imagery was so great at points, that they could have got through on the strength of it, and made the general plot a bit more coherent. I had no idea what was going on at some points, and not in a good way, like in Audition.

To be fair, i did very have high expectations... and i WAS also drunk.

I'd say rewatch it. There is more to it than just imagery and don't feel that its inclusion comes at the expense of plot.

:D

It annoys me that I don't have Hulk, but each time I go to maybe buy it, I just think... yeah but it's too different/not good.

As a standalone film it's actually pretty ok, but it just doesn't fit with the other films. It's too dark almost and the styles don't match. Plus I don't really like the look of Hulk in it with his kinda shinyness and wierdly stretched chest muscles. Also lead actor change moving forward is just too much really. And the change in appearance of Hulk too.

I just know I'm going to enjoy the version of the Hulk in The Avengers, so much more. In pictures I've seen I really like the look they've gone for, it's pretty much perfect.

Think I'm just gonna look at The Avengers as where Hulk appears again in these films, and hope the story of The Avengers and how they find/recruit him fits with this possibility.

Edited by Retro_Link

Just seen a trailer for a film called Looper. Looks like it could turn out pretty awesome!