Dyson

General Movie Thread

Recommended Posts

I'm not a Bond fan and haven't seen any of the newer movies with Craig, but that is a damn good trailer and makes me want to actually watch it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not a fan of the Craig Bond, but every time they release a new one, I get caught up in the hype. That looks like a damn good film! Hoping it gets released on a streaming service!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched Bill and Ted Face the Music. It was good, I enjoyed it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've finally watched Mulan (2020) and thought it was brilliant. I had originally planned to see this in the cinemas but that little shit, Covid, ruined that for me. Its got favourable reviews on Rotten Tomatoes but there's people out there not liking it but I think it's because there's no singing or no Mushu. Honestly, this didn't need it and strangely enough, although I loved Mushu, I didn't miss him at all. 

I loved the use of the score using the songs from the animated version as a little nod to the material too. The 'magical' elements were okay BUT I feel the movie could've done without it and still been just as brilliant.

I hope this comes out on bluray as there's no chance of me getting Lady and the Tramp for a full Disney live-action set (which annoys me to the core) but it would be brilliant to own this physically! 

9/10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Close to the start of lockdown I saw this photo on reddit:

https://imgur.com/a/chPKlox

lMWBnAU.jpg

 

My wife and I have been working our way through it, in order, watching every movie. I'm not sure who came up with this list but there are some films on there only because of their historical value. Viewing them now without having seen them prior is not enjoyable. E.g. The Great Dictator, or Citizen Kane. There's also some stuff on there that is just guff. E.g. Yesterday we watched Hachi: A Dog's Tale, and Before Sunrise is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

The best ones we've watched so far (one per row!), IMO, have been Groundhog Day, Inglourious Bastards, No Country For Old Men, and Interstellar.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mr_Odwin that's a really strange list!

I started reading it and immediately thought it might have been based on IMDb from how it starts out, but it really deviates quite a bit after the first few. I looked it up on Amazon and the like expecting a source on the top 100, but I found nothing. How odd. 

Like you say, it looks like a mixed bag - some great stuff on there, but, uh, films like Hachi as a Top 100 film? No offense to it, but I've never seen that film in all the Top 100 lists I've read! Also can't help but notice a lack of foreign films, and at a glance I'm not seeing any Ghibli films either? Might have just missed them skimming through though. 

Either way, good to hear you're finding films that you're enjoying! Only one I haven't watched from those you highlighted as your favourites so far is Inglourious Basterds, really need to get to that myself at some point, because I really like all the other films you highlighted! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Julius said:

@Mr_Odwin that's a really strange list!

I started reading it and immediately thought it might have been based on IMDb from how it starts out, but it really deviates quite a bit after the first few. I looked it up on Amazon and the like expecting a source on the top 100, but I found nothing. How odd. 

Like you say, it looks like a mixed bag - some great stuff on there, but, uh, films like Hachi as a Top 100 film? No offense to it, but I've never seen that film in all the Top 100 lists I've read! Also can't help but notice a lack of foreign films, and at a glance I'm not seeing any Ghibli films either? Might have just missed them skimming through though. 

Either way, good to hear you're finding films that you're enjoying! Only one I haven't watched from those you highlighted as your favourites so far is Inglourious Basterds, really need to get to that myself at some point, because I really like all the other films you highlighted! 

We watched Spirited Away yesterday, that's on there. :-) I think Howl's Moving Castle might be too. Cinema Paradiso is foreign I think (I think I remember we watched it with subs), but you're right - there's very few.

I've seen a lot of the films already so for some it's more of a check for me that they still hold up, and I'm glad that some of them do. Some don't though - Jaws was a bit of a let down, as was Mad Max.

Inglourious Basterds is so satisfying, get it cracked out!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/09/2020 at 10:47 AM, Beast said:

I've finally watched Mulan (2020) and thought it was brilliant. I had originally planned to see this in the cinemas but that little shit, Covid, ruined that for me. Its got favourable reviews on Rotten Tomatoes but there's people out there not liking it but I think it's because there's no singing or no Mushu. Honestly, this didn't need it and strangely enough, although I loved Mushu, I didn't miss him at all. 

I loved the use of the score using the songs from the animated version as a little nod to the material too. The 'magical' elements were okay BUT I feel the movie could've done without it and still been just as brilliant.

I hope this comes out on bluray as there's no chance of me getting Lady and the Tramp for a full Disney live-action set (which annoys me to the core) but it would be brilliant to own this physically! 

9/10

Glad to hear you liked it! I try not to read any opinions/reviews until after seeing a film so as to not skew my initial judgement but it was impossible not to come across the many different instances of outrage and disappointment aimed at this film lol, I will give it a shot soon.

At what point did it change to an online release? I know the original release date got delayed due to covid but when cinemas re-opened there were still posters for it and I assumed it just got delayed. I wonder what made them skip theatres instead of just waiting it out like Bond.

The main two Disney remakes I remember from last year are Lion King and Aladdin for good and bad reasons, Aladdin because I loved the cast and music and Lion King because I thought it was the most boring and soulless drivel I've seen from them yet :laughing: So will be interesting to see where this one lands.

Edited by Josh64

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Josh64 said:

Glad to hear you liked it! I try not to read any opinions/reviews until after seeing a film so as to not skew my initial judgement but it was impossible not to come across the many different instances of outrage and disappointment aimed at this film lol, I will give it a shot soon.

At what point did it change to an online release? I know the original release date got delayed due to covid but when cinemas re-opened there were still posters for it and I assumed it just got delayed. I wonder what made them skip theatres instead of just waiting it out like Bond.

The main two Disney remakes I remember from last year are Lion King and Aladdin for good and bad reasons, Aladdin because I loved the cast and music and Lion King because I thought it was the most boring and soulless drivel I've seen from them yet :laughing: So will be interesting to see where this one lands.

I'm not sure. I think it was last month. It was on my list of movies to absolutely watch straight away. I'm glad it was released out of cinemas because although I really miss the cinema, I'm not really comfortable in going back just yet. I watched it again and just loved how stunning it looked. People need to embrace the changes it made. I thought they were good changes myself. 

I've liked pretty much every Disney live-action remake so far apart from The Lion King. It looked stunning but it lost its heart and spark and Beyonce didn't sound like a teenage lioness at all! She sounded like she should've voiced Sarabi more than Nala and I couldn't get past her warbling over Donald Glover! 

Aladdin is so far the best out of them all with Mulan being a close second and The Lion King being absolutely last.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Beast said:

Aladdin is so far the best out of them all with Mulan being a close second and The Lion King being absolutely last.

If Aladdin is the best of the live action Disney remakes I just removed all of the others from my list of films to see.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let the hype flow. First trailer for Dune!

Still slated for December 18th. Looks fantastic. That cast :bouncy:feel like the leaked theatres-only trailer gave a better feel for Zimmer's score, so hopefully we hear some more of it in the buildup to release!

Time for another read I think. It's been a little while :D

Edited by Julius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dune is still one of things that I’ve just missed out on completely. Never read the book or seen the 80s movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The book is ok....not great. Very weird. Got some good worldbuilding in it, but the plot kind of descended into bleh towards the end.

 

Looking forward to the film though.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Dune is still one of things that I’ve just missed out on completely. Never read the book or seen the 80s movie.

Same with me. Only know it by name. 

Trailer didn't do anything to me. Looks like a generic sci-fi fantasy. Looking forward to being proven wrong. But for now, it's not on my radar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah funnily enough it's the same for me.. Not familar with Dune (I never played the games), and the trailer isn't doing it for me either. HOWEVER, I'm a big Denis Villeneuve fan, so I'm looking forward to this regardless.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, will' said:

If Aladdin is the best of the live action Disney remakes I just removed all of the others from my list of films to see.

Honestly, it's great. I enjoyed it a lot. I was a bit worried with Will Smith being the Genie and trying to be Robin Williams but he really made the character his own. Also, Jasmine's solo song, Speechless, is brilliant too. If you were to watch Disney live-actions, I would say Aladdin and Mulan. Beauty and the Beast is great too and I think it got far too much criticism on Emma Watson's part as I thought she did Belle justice. The Lion King was just extremely soulless and missed a lot of the heart that the animation had. Beyonce didn't help matters at all and they ruined Be Prepared, which is in my top 3 favourite Disney villain songs and was something I was looking forward to seeing in the film. I was looking forward to the Little Mermaid until I heard Melissa McCarthy is playing Ursula. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Queen Latifah was born for that role and she proved that in the recorded stage show.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So there's a sequel to Borat: The Movie and its set to release exclusively on Amazon Prime on October 23rd. Sacha Baron Cohen posted the trailer on his Twitter:

At least that's a safer thumbnail than the one for the trailer Amazon have put up on YouTube. Looks to be more of the same, which means it should at least be a laugh which with everything going on in the world we could all use.

Edited by Ganepark32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still no release date, but can't wait for Minari to finally be out. Really hoping it's released before the end of the year, but at least we got another trailer the other day. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First teaser of the Monster Hunter movie:

Ehrm, not what I was expecting. I was expecting Great Swords, maybe a Bowgun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It reminds me of that desert scene in one of the earlier Transformers films.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2020 at 1:44 PM, Julius said:

Still no release date, but can't wait for Minari to finally be out. Really hoping it's released before the end of the year, but at least we got another trailer the other day. 

Thanks for bringing that to my attention - keep us updated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2020 at 12:44 PM, Julius said:

Still no release date, but can't wait for Minari to finally be out. Really hoping it's released before the end of the year, but at least we got another trailer the other day. 

 

I wasn't aware of this, looks like something i'd enjoy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw Kajillionaire last night at our local indie cinema. Brief synopsis - black comedy about a mal-adjusted 26-old girl who has been bought up by piece-of-shit parents to be a thief/con-artist, and is suddenly forced into a relationship with a bubbly outsider. Really enjoyable little indie movie, with no fat on it whatsoever. Some great performances, genuinely unique, well worth your time.

Only a dozen people in a 150 seater screen though. I really do fear for cinemas, hopefully some of the good ones make it through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Full length trailer for the Monster Hunter movie:

This looks bad...! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Full length trailer for the Monster Hunter movie:

This looks bad...! 

Of course it does, it's the same guy who did the full Resident Evil series AND Milla Jovovich...and yet I want to see it. 

The Resident Evil films were bad but they were fun to watch. I'm hoping this is the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites