Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Kind of owned a customer at work. It's great knowing I'm leaving, because I can be as rude/cocky as I want. Although I'm not either really.

Guy comes up and asks if he can pay with a £50. I say yes, but I have to chuck it straight into the vault thing so it can check it's real. It accepts it and once it's in there, there's no getting it back. I think he took a bit of offence at me checking, but I have to, someone got fired for accepting a fake £50 before. So it works and I get his change, but we only have coins. I can see why someone could get a bit annoyed, but he's a miserable twat at the best of times and there was still no need to swear at me. The conversation went roughly like this:

"I don't want any coins"

"We don't have anything else I'm afraid"

"Fucks sake. If I'd have known I'd have paid by card. Why didn't you fucking tell me?"

"Because I can't see through the metal lid of the till" *Points to till lid*

I consider that a victory for logic. Granted I could have remembered from last time I looked in the till, but I probably use the till twice an hour at most at night so it's easy to forget.

I offered to put the coins into bags for him to make it easier and he said something like "Hurry up before I get angry". I then kept imagining him hulking out. Which probably didn't help since I had to hold back the laughter. I spent the rest of the night smug that I finally argued back for a change. The prick.

Kind of owned a customer at work. It's great knowing I'm leaving, because I can be as rude/cocky as I want. Although I'm not either really.

Guy comes up and asks if he can pay with a £50. I say yes, but I have to chuck it straight into the vault thing so it can check it's real. It accepts it and once it's in there, there's no getting it back. I think he took a bit of offence at me checking, but I have to, someone got fired for accepting a fake £50 before. So it works and I get his change, but we only have coins. I can see why someone could get a bit annoyed, but he's a miserable twat at the best of times and there was still no need to swear at me. The conversation went roughly like this:

"I don't want any coins"

"Fucks sake. If I'd have known I'd have paid by card. Why didn't you fucking tell me?"

I consider that a victory for logic. Granted I could have remembered from last time I looked in the till, but I probably use the till twice an hour at most at night so it's easy to forget.

I offered to put the coins into bags for him to make it easier and he said something like "Hurry up before I get angry". I then kept imagining him hulking out. Which probably didn't help since I had to hold back the laughter. I spent the rest of the night smug that I finally argued back for a change. The prick.

How much was the item? Please let it be £1!

How much was the item? Please let it be £1!

It was about £11 so he had £39 change. I had 2 £5 notes and £10 in £2 coins. The rest was in pound coins. I'm still impressed I managed to count it properly with him being arsey all the while. I get pretty stressed when customers get arsey, which is probably why I "snapped" (by my standards). Another customer bailed him out a bit though by offering to give him a note for some of the coins.

It'd be funnier if it was £20. And Goafer was just giving him coins to be annoying.

EDIT: Or if it was £46 and the guy was just demented, wanting a £4 note.

If he comes back again, I probably will give him coins just to see if he does hulk out when he's angry. I kept wondering what he'd do if he got angry. I'm behind some pretty thick glass and the door lock is pretty strong. I imagine his angry routine would be: yell, swear, maybe throw his limbs round like a brain damaged toddler, then leave. I'd probably laugh. Or wind him up some more.

Edited by Goafer
Automerged Doublepost

Hmm but why was he carrying a £50 note in the first place? they are so unecessary... and afaik cash machines don't dispense them so he would have had to go into the bank to specify that he wanted his cash in £50 notes, it's just baffling. :blank:

I mean you know that if you're gonna buy something with a £50 note anywhere that it's never gonna be a hassle-free transaction so why he didn't save himself the trouble and withdraw cash in the form of twenties and tens is beyond me, or... just pay by card...

Honestly, life's too fucking short. :p

A 50 pound note? Hmm, he's a bit of a fool for not carrying around something smaller. I can't even remember the last time I saw one of those notes. Rich fucker. :(

Although, I think you were doing the guy a favour. If he really only had that one note, he should be grateful for having all those shiny coins. Imagine going to a shop and buying a Twix or a Bounty with a 50 quid note. Pffft.

I guess you guys are right, but I was technically at fault. I should have checked the change situation first, but I just forgot. If it was any other customer I probably wouldn't have minded them getting a bit arsey, but this guy has been a prick before so I already had little time for his twattish ways.

Last time I had a problem with the tills and had to reboot them, which takes 45 minutes apparently. I had to basically shut the shop for that time. Didn't stop people trying to buy stuff/move the cones I'd put out to show the shop was shut. So I started selling things if the person had exact change. He came up and asked to buy cigarettes and I told him he needed to have exact change. He went off on one saying how he had made the trip especially to buy cigaretted and he only had a £20 or something. It was the last thing I needed with all the stress of it the tills going down and having to put the money next to duplicate items so I could scan it through later (if that makes sense). He is a total twat. Ugly fucker too.

Edit: If I remember right, he may have actually had other notes.

Never mind. 4 more shifts and I'm done with that place. Hopefully he wont come back in that time.

I think you can be dispensed £50, and if thats all he had its all he had, you can't insult him for that. His attitude definitely and what he said definitely but not the fact he had a £50 note, people :p

I dont think cash machines dispense £50 notes (I've drawn out the £200 limit several times and never got one), but banks themselves do if you need to withdraw a tonne of money. Or places offering cashback might want to get rid of them.

I have no problem with people paying with £50s, they are legal tender after all. The whole situation was my fault anyway, I probably would have been more "defensive" if he wasn't someone I already knew to be a knob.

Actually all this talk of change and whatnot reminds me of the time that I'd somehow managed to end up with not even the £5 I needed to catch the bus into work early next morning, then I suddently remembered, I hava a box of 1p and 2p pieces that I'd kinda just saved for lolz over the past decade thinking well, it might come in useful one day and what do you know? it did...

I counted out exactly £5 in 'two pence pieces' at around 1am :/ and then bagged it all up when I was done, and because I knew that no-one would believe me if I were to ever tell the tale, I took pics, so if you've ever wanted to know what £5 in 2p pieces looks like when stacked then wonder no longer... XD

f24lrl.jpg

25krars.jpg

I handed it to the bus driver the following morning, slammed it down on the till and said in a calm manner...

Me: 'there is exactly five pounds there in two pence pieces.

Bus: 'You're 'avin a larf 'aintcha?'

Me: 'No, it's legal currency so you can accept it right?'

Bus: 'Well yeah... you're sure there's exactly five pounds there?'

Me: '... Positive!'

And then I collected my ticket and sat down feeling kinda pleased with myself tbf... but I'm sure as hell not gonna let myself get into such a situation as that ever again I always make sure I have enough notes now and yes I still put those 1 and 2 pence pieces away... you know... just in case. :heh:

I had someone pay £50 in 20ps the night before. I took his word for it since there was no way in hell I was counting them and he was a fairly regular/well known customer. Nice chap too. At least he bagged them in £10 bags for me, so they just went straight into the vault.

Actually, about the 2ps being legal tender, I think you can only pay up to a certain amount (50p or so?) in coins before, legally, it's not legal tender :heh:

This one time though, I did something very similar only with a mish mash of 1, 2, 5 and 10p coins for a £4 ticket. I got the coins out of my pocket to give to him and he groaned and just told me to take a seat without taking the money. I think he was too lazy to check :heh:

Actually, about the 2ps being legal tender, I think you can only pay up to a certain amount (50p or so?) in coins before, legally, it's not legal tender :heh:

This one time though, I did something very similar only with a mish mash of 1, 2, 5 and 10p coins for a £4 ticket. I got the coins out of my pocket to give to him and he groaned and just told me to take a seat without taking the money. I think he was too lazy to check :heh:

Haha! That's brilliant! I bet that seat felt goooood.

had an ok, driving lesson, couple of mistakes, but all in all, it was ok. my 3 point turn was fucking erotic.

there was a bit at the end of the lesson, instructer was marking things about my driving in my record book, i was driving along, for all intents and purpouses, solo. i was bloody good. felt like a real man.

got in and im getting flack off a mate cos i dont wanna go out tonight, cos i have to iron for work, and ive already spent to much money this week. on top of that, sunderland is a shit night out. bah.

"I don't want any coins"

Haha, such a legend.

Had another day at work today, but left about 4pm because I just couldn't do it anymore. Felt incredibly light headed and had no energy whatsoever. Actually kicking myself for coming home and not sticking it out, because I need the cash desperately for the Leeds Ticket I'm buying. Might have to end up missing out on going out for results night this thursday, and have to work whilst everyone else is out celebrating...at the place I work. Eurgh.

Had another driving lesson today. So I was driving around town and he pulled me in to talk about somthing, he reached into the back seat of the car and pulled out a 22 inch monitor. It was then that I noticed a huge camera in the back seat pointing towards the windscreen. I never knew the guy was recording me the whole time i was in the car >__<

I've only seen £50 notes twice, once in a bank whilst paying money in, a South African fellow at the next window down withdrew something like £5000, and once at the pub, when a friend of a friend of mine came over to us and had a purse full of £50 notes. Why? She'd just sold her car. Why? She'd been banned from driving for 2 years for driving without insurance or tax... Smooth.

As for the "legal tender" thing, it's a very narrow meaning relating to payment of debt, and a defence if later accused of non-payment. Strictly speaking, Irish and Scottish bank notes aren't legal tender in England and Wales, and the same goes for debit/credit cards anywhere in the UK. In everyday transactions, it's irrelevant.

I've had a grands worth of £50 notes infront of me before. It was all mine.

Also had £250 in £50 notes in my wallet before. Some guy, in the building business, came in and paid with them. I took them. Obviously I changed my money for it.

I also recently had one in my wallet before I put it in the bank.

Speaking of money, I've only ever seen a £5 coin once. And that was when they first came out.

Today was shit.

Good choice of music my friend! I like how at the beginning, you've got the cats sort of strutting along to the music!

woop! woop!

Thanks for replying :D I'm just surprised people didn't torch me down for advertising :P

I'm glad you liked it. I guess that my video is more of a personnel video so I don't expect many people to 'get' it. It was a video I was only going to show my friends, family etc. but I wanted to see what would happen if I uploaded it ;)

Thanks again and I hope you will rate it etc. :P

xD

The £50 guy came back today. He was happy this time. Even joked about the whole thing "Don't suppose you have £30 in pound coins do you?" and then laughed. There was happy banter, I offered to change the coins for notes if he still had them, he said he already had changed them up in the day, then he left. All's well that ends well.

The £50 guy came back today. He was happy this time. Even joked about the whole thing "Don't suppose you have £30 in pound coins do you?" and then laughed. There was happy banter, I offered to change the coins for notes if he still had them, he said he already had changed them up in the day, then he left. All's well that ends well.

so he realised he was being a cock and likely felt bad. :yay:

My sister has had 10x£100 irish notes. Her entire wage for one month...

I've seen a couple of english £50 notes... Afaik you can pretty much only get them from the bank - no ATM will give you them.