NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

Grrrrrrr.... annoyed. I was happily watching Superman Returns and my brother comes and switches it off to play Guitar Hero. So I only managed to catch the very beginning and the very end. Not impressed. Have been really wanting to watch it as well. Was wanting to see whether it was as good as everyone says. It was alright from what I saw but as I missed most of it I didn't get the full context and feel for the film so I'll now have to get hold of the DVD. Or better yet, get my brother to get it seeing as he was the one that made me miss it.

Wow, you're using the worst possible scenes! Those are terrible. I mean, the Merovingian restaurant scene, I'd conceed you, but the scene at his house? Dear lord, that's not "good" action, it's bad corny action! All the action scenes in Reloaded are completely bloated and blown out of proportion! It leaves a terrible taste in my mouth! Mainly the Highway scene, what a fucking sorry ass excuse for making money!

Are you serious? Those scenes were awesome, I wish every fucking action movie would have scenes as awesome as that.

The explosions, the constant Smiths and Agents appearing from nowhere and almost killing Neo and the others, the amazing Bullet Time, the thousands of casualities made because of a Keymaker.

The thousands of Smiths fighting against one, who would use any possible scheme to destroy them, only to later see that he could not do anything, so he decided to run.

Seriously, if you expected Matrix 2 to have a mindfuck story as Matrix did, you were expecting the impossible. They made Matrix 2 as the "middle-term", Matrix 1 and 3 are the real story of Matrix, Matrix 2 was what put those 2 together, they had to fill time for so little concept, so they decided to fill the Movie and the Budged with awesome action scenes, which was exactly what i expected in it.

The Matrix was never about the action, Maase! The only reason the first one got so praised was because of the goddamn script, not the action! The action was standard wire-fu with some new SFX. Seriously, The Matrix would be much better if it had no action scenes!

It was also because of bringing the Japanese Fighting Style to American Hollywood, reason why it sold so much, not because of the Mind Fuck story.B

And about your last sentence, i agree that it would be better without action, but after seeing Matrix 1, i thought of million possibilities for battles using The Matrix, and The Matrix 2 gave me lots of possibilities, and even added few things i didn't expect. (Thousands of Smiths)

Herm... ok. But just so you know, the second one is the worst. Nothing happens during the whole damn movie except for the architect scene! At least the third managed to actually had something to the story, even if it was shit. Plus, the Hangar scene>any action scene from Reloaded.

As i said above, this movie was the middle term between the 1 and 3, which were the actual story of The Matrix, so they filled us with lot of action scenes, which i don't mind as they are awesome \m/.

So, overall, looking at one movie singlehandly, without seeing it as a Sequel or a Original, i have to see Matrix Reloaded has the best, just because of the concept of The Matrix added with a lot of awesome battles.

Sorry, but i really loved Matrix Reloaded :D

in my dreams, they stoped after the matrix. the bad thing never happened.

unfortunatly, i was wrong. they made the horrible movies. the action was, in my eyes, decent. exciting enough, still with a reasonable amount of actualy choreographed fighting, reeves did do a decent amount physcialy for the film. hell, even the archiect scene was ok, if not a little ott. the xion scenes were all utterly awful, super cheesey sci fi fare. smith being downloaded into that bane (well give him a name like that and what do you expect) dude was the most stupid thing ever. made no sense. the acting was, without exception, the most wooden acting offered by such a cast. even old hugo seemed stiff, ok he was a computer program, but compare it to his performance in the first matrix (were he exploded, only to return cos people thought he was cool) and it was nothing.

the thrid matrix was utterly dire. the cringe factor, through the roof. the xion battle was so utterly cheesey, and frankly pretty boring, consisting of specialy written in characters i had no real feelings for battling in crap mechs against metal octopi. honestly, it couldnt have had less character if every role was played by tim henman. i struggle to think what my personal low point was. either neo and smiths utter shamles of a fight (almost exactly the same as mew vs mewtwo in the pokemon movie, for thouse who remeber it) or the horrible ending, were a little indian girl makes the sun set.

honestly, the story didnt have to match the first, it just had to feel like it needed to be told. it didnt.

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

Managed to get hold of a screener copy, and it's very good. I won't agree with Noodleman and say its the best of the year, but it will certainly get a few Oscar nominations, though I'm sure Brad Pitt will be denied a Best Actor nod. On the surface Fincher's direction seems to be quite unfussy but unremarkable at the same time, but when you consider the technicalities of the computer graphics you realise how skilled a director would have to be to undertake this.

And the CGI is fantastic, the elderly child is seamless.

8/10

The Matrix was never about the action, Maase! The only reason the first one got so praised was because of the goddamn script, not the action! The action was standard wire-fu with some new SFX. Seriously, The Matrix would be much better if it had no action scenes!

Kidding right? You realise how fucking amazing Matrix's action sequences looked when it came out? Not to say they necessarily were the highlights of the movie, and without the script it wouldn't have been nearly such a success, but for their time it was the action that was praised, which was revolutionary for it's time.

either neo and smiths utter shamles of a fight (almost exactly the same as mew vs mewtwo in the pokemon movie, for thouse who remeber it)

Aaahaha now THAT's a good point. I had wondered what it reminded me of. Shocking.

Are you serious? Those scenes were awesome, I wish every fucking action movie would have scenes as awesome as that.

The explosions, the constant Smiths and Agents appearing from nowhere and almost killing Neo and the others, the amazing Bullet Time, the thousands of casualities made because of a Keymaker.

The thousands of Smiths fighting against one, who would use any possible scheme to destroy them, only to later see that he could not do anything, so he decided to run.

I think this is the funniest thing I've ever read. The scenes were awesome because of "the explosions", "the constant Smiths", "the amazing bullet time" and the list goes on. Maase, I don't inted to be mean, and I'm not trying to make you feel bad or anything, but, if the mods will allow me, I believe I have to ask... Are you, by any chance, mentally challenged?

Seriously, if you expected Matrix 2 to have a mindfuck story as Matrix did, you were expecting the impossible. They made Matrix 2 as the "middle-term", Matrix 1 and 3 are the real story of Matrix, Matrix 2 was what put those 2 together, they had to fill time for so little concept, so they decided to fill the Movie and the Budged with awesome action scenes, which was exactly what i expected in it.

Matrix did not have a mindfuck story... it's as straightforward as straightforward gets! It's not about being "complicated", because it isn't... it's about raising paralells with reality, through fiction! Have you even thought about what they were trying to say? Where's that whisper of creepiness of the human enslavement by technology? Where's the persistance of the unability to prove reality? All I see is the commodification of sterile violence, and below zero suspense! Most of the action scenes are mechanical and clunky with no sense of urgency, danger or passion! There's absolutely nothing being promoted or demonstrated here! It's just an advertisement for a cultural wave!

And do you realize what you're saying? Action just for the sake of action is as low as something can get! The only reason the first one was never at the same level as Star Wars, Blade Runner or Aliens was because the action scenes had too much cheese! And by God, the ones in Reloaded smell even worse! The movie is equal parts style and stupidity, and this, isn't something you can do anything about! You really like it? Well, good for you! But I really like Revolver too and I've got no problem admitting it's a turd! Get over yourself and stop trying to justify your shitty taste like it's everyone else who's wrong!

It was also because of bringing the Japanese Fighting Style to American Hollywood, reason why it sold so much, not because of the Mind Fuck story.B

And about your last sentence, i agree that it would be better without action, but after seeing Matrix 1, i thought of million possibilities for battles using The Matrix, and The Matrix 2 gave me lots of possibilities, and even added few things i didn't expect. (Thousands of Smiths)

As i said above, this movie was the middle term between the 1 and 3, which were the actual story of The Matrix, so they filled us with lot of action scenes, which i don't mind as they are awesome \m/.

Japanese Fighting style to Hollywood? Maase, what in the hell are you on about? Oo

Moving on... Reloaded is a big bloated pile of nothing, filled with emptiness, but at least we agree on that. Wether or not you like it, is irrelevant.

So, overall, looking at one movie singlehandly, without seeing it as a Sequel or a Original, i have to see Matrix Reloaded has the best, just because of the concept of The Matrix added with a lot of awesome battles.

NOTHING HAPPENED IN THE ENTIRE MOVIE! It's like a 3 ninjas movie with a very high budget! There's nothing there to even be grasped at! The whole damn world pretty much agreed that the Matrix Sequels were a waste of celluloid, and along comes Maase, revolutionizing history and discovering that Matrix Reloaded is actually the best out of the trilogy because of "the explosions".

I wish there were a clapping smiley, because I'd be using it right now, no doubt about it!

Sorry, but i really loved Matrix Reloaded :D

Yeah, well, I really love this girl everyone hates. It doesn't change the fact she's an asshole. What can I do? I still love her and that's never gonna change, but I pretty much know I'm the one who's wrong, so learn from me and stop trying to validate every choice you make as glorious just to fullfill your longings for portagonism! You're just another brick in the wall... like me. And if you're ever gonna prove me wrong, you need to get over yourself, first!

in my dreams, they stoped after the matrix. the bad thing never happened.

unfortunatly, i was wrong. they made the horrible movies. the action was, in my eyes, decent. exciting enough, still with a reasonable amount of actualy choreographed fighting, reeves did do a decent amount physcialy for the film. hell, even the archiect scene was ok, if not a little ott. the xion scenes were all utterly awful, super cheesey sci fi fare. smith being downloaded into that bane (well give him a name like that and what do you expect) dude was the most stupid thing ever. made no sense. the acting was, without exception, the most wooden acting offered by such a cast. even old hugo seemed stiff, ok he was a computer program, but compare it to his performance in the first matrix (were he exploded, only to return cos people thought he was cool) and it was nothing.

the thrid matrix was utterly dire. the cringe factor, through the roof. the xion battle was so utterly cheesey, and frankly pretty boring, consisting of specialy written in characters i had no real feelings for battling in crap mechs against metal octopi. honestly, it couldnt have had less character if every role was played by tim henman. i struggle to think what my personal low point was. either neo and smiths utter shamles of a fight (almost exactly the same as mew vs mewtwo in the pokemon movie, for thouse who remeber it) or the horrible ending, were a little indian girl makes the sun set.

honestly, the story didnt have to match the first, it just had to feel like it needed to be told. it didnt.

I still think 3>2, but that, sir, is a fantastic post.

Kidding right? You realise how fucking amazing Matrix's action sequences looked when it came out? Not to say they necessarily were the highlights of the movie, and without the script it wouldn't have been nearly such a success, but for their time it was the action that was praised, which was revolutionary for it's time.

Put simply... no. That's incorrect. We actually focused pretty hard on this precise thing last year on my film history class. The only ones who even cared about the action were the crowds, which are irrelevant to wether or not a film is a breakthrough. The effects were praised, the script was praised, not the action.

sorry but that's bullshit. The action in the first Matrix film is fucking awesome. It brought in all kinds of new technology and techniques nobody had seen before- it was easily the best action film since Die Hard. Remember seeing that bullet dodge bit the first time? that was mind blowing.

as for the script...Good ideas but often staggeringly shit delivery. It's pretty hammy stuff alot of the time and only the really strong actors do anything good with it.

Southland Tales

The controversially...odd offering from the writer/director of Donnie Darko.

Literally one of the most enjoyable films I've seen this year, simply because it contains too many elements that reflect aspects of my friends and I's humour. I literally lol'd at too many bits.

SO fucking confusing, I know what happened in the end, but ask me to repeat how everything got there/is connected, I couldn't tell you.

It seemed to be influenced by a things like Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns/Strikes Again!, especially Krysta Now's talk show. In fact I loved Sarah Michelle Gellar throughout.

I also thought Rock was good, considering I didn't know he could act and stuff. Loved his final scene with the lovely asian villainess, Serpentine.

OMG I remember now! I found the fact that the government were facing "terrorist threats" from a woman called Deepthroat2 absolutely hilarious.

Love/10

I keep meaning to watch this, but I don't think I'd get much from it on a single viewing, and I don't have the time to watch films more than once. Too much catching up to do.

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

Managed to get hold of a screener copy, and it's very good. I won't agree with Noodleman and say its the best of the year, but it will certainly get a few Oscar nominations, though I'm sure Brad Pitt will be denied a Best Actor nod. On the surface Fincher's direction seems to be quite unfussy but unremarkable at the same time, but when you consider the technicalities of the computer graphics you realise how skilled a director would have to be to undertake this.

And the CGI is fantastic, the elderly child is seamless.

8/10

My anticipation for this film is immense. I have avoiding grabbing the screener to this point, but boy is it difficult.

Would be so much better seeing it at the cinema first, for the experience and all, but the wait is soooo long.

I think this is the funniest thing I've ever read. The scenes were awesome because of "the explosions", "the constant Smiths", "the amazing bullet time" and the list goes on. Maase, I don't inted to be mean, and I'm not trying to make you feel bad or anything, but, if the mods will allow me, I believe I have to ask... Are you, by any chance, mentally challenged?

I'm mentally retarded because i like action scenes full of expkosions?

Am I forced to like the same things you do?

I actually like intelligent scenes as most as you do, but after watching The Matrix, seeing a world full of possibilities, and then having some made true with awesome action scenes in Matrix Reloaded, i didn't care SHIT about the story anymore, and loved every single moment.

Maybe if you watched this movie with the name "Searching for the Jey Maker", without knowing it was a Matrix movie, your opinion would be better about The Matrix Reloaded.

Matrix did not have a mindfuck story... it's as straightforward as straightforward gets! It's not about being "complicated", because it isn't... it's about raising paralells with reality, through fiction! Have you even thought about what they were trying to say? Where's that whisper of creepiness of the human enslavement by technology? Where's the persistance of the unability to prove reality? All I see is the commodification of sterile violence, and below zero suspense! Most of the action scenes are mechanical and clunky with no sense of urgency, danger or passion! There's absolutely nothing being promoted or demonstrated here! It's just an advertisement for a cultural wave!

And do you realize what you're saying? Action just for the sake of action is as low as something can get! The only reason the first one was never at the same level as Star Wars, Blade Runner or Aliens was because the action scenes had too much cheese! And by God, the ones in Reloaded smell even worse! The movie is equal parts style and stupidity, and this, isn't something you can do anything about! You really like it? Well, good for you! But I really like Revolver too and I've got no problem admitting it's a turd! Get over yourself and stop trying to justify your shitty taste like it's everyone else who's wrong!

By mindfuck, i meant that the story was something I never thought before, giving me ideas like "What if this isn't real life? How wold I find out?

Not that the story is hard to understand.

Anf I understood the concepts you talked about.

Also, I find ironic the fact that you say that I think my opinion is right and everyone's else os wrong but then you say that Matrix Reloaded is the worst movie (because you think that) and that I have shitty taste for liking it.

Ironic, isn't it?

Japanese Fighting style to Hollywood? Maase, what in the hell are you on about? Oo

Moving on... Reloaded is a big bloated pile of nothing, filled with emptiness, but at least we agree on that. Wether or not you like it, is irrelevant.

Yes, it is in terms of story, but i think that it has great action scenes, which makes the movie good.

NOTHING HAPPENED IN THE ENTIRE MOVIE! It's like a 3 ninjas movie with a very high budget! There's nothing there to even be grasped at! The whole damn world pretty much agreed that the Matrix Sequels were a waste of celluloid, and along comes Maase, revolutionizing history and discovering that Matrix Reloaded is actually the best out of the trilogy because of "the explosions".

AHAHAH, OH WOOOOOOW!

That's pretty arrogant, don't you think?

When I search around the net, I find as many guys like you and many guys like me (in terms of favourite Matrix)

I wish there were a clapping smiley, because I'd be using it right now, no doubt about it!

No one cares

Yeah, well, I really love this girl everyone hates. It doesn't change the fact she's an asshole. What can I do? I still love her and that's never gonna change, but I pretty much know I'm the one who's wrong, so learn from me and stop trying to validate every choice you make as glorious just to fullfill your longings for portagonism! You're just another brick in the wall... like me. And if you're ever gonna prove me wrong, you need to get over yourself, first!

WHO THE HELL DECIDED THAT I'M WRONG AND YOU'RE RIGHT?

IS THERE ANY PROOF OF MATRIX RELOADER BEING THE WORSE?

Seriously, you're damn annoying

Put simply... no. That's incorrect

Thank you for your answer, god, Now its my turn;

Who in fact is Jack the Ripper?

I still love you, Oxygen_Waste ;3

The thing that annoyed me most in Matrix Reloaded was the pointless sweaty Neo sex. It was not needed. I've only seen the film once...

Did that even happen? :S

urrrrgh. Keanu's arse was not needed.

QFT!!!

That has unfortunately been imprinted in my mind. :shakehead No wonder I'm so disturbed!

O_W I had no comment on your rantings until you insulted The 3 Ninjas by comparing them to the abomination of Reloaded. There is simply no comparison.

TUM TUM RULES.

Twilight

Thought it was great, pretty sure there is to be a sequel with hopefully more action!!!

7.8/10

Thomas the tank engine: shining town

I cannot recall the real name, but either way I loved it ^_^ I always have as I loved thomas the tank engine as a kid! Plus the blonde guy is hot, so thats always a plus

9/10

Superman returns

I've never watched this until it came on bbc1 last night; expecting it to be crap. It was actually really good and I liked watching most of it! Would watch this again. Shame I missed some of the start!

7/10

The exorcism of Emily Rose

Brilliant, I really liked it

8/10

Pan's Labyrinth

Bloody gripping, LOVE IT!

9.5/10

Iron Man

Really disappointed with this film..I don't think it was worth watching, which is something for anything superhero like! Shame really, seemed abit off and the story was poor.

4/10

Superman returns

I've never watched this until it came on bbc1 last night; expecting it to be crap. It was actually really good and I liked watching most of it! Would watch this again. Shame I missed some of the start!

7/10

Tears have been shed this week. Tears have been shed.

Well, Superman Returns is a superior film to Iron Man, comics or no comics. I see no tears.

Well, Superman Returns is a superior film to Iron Man, comics or no comics. I see no tears.

angrypanda.jpg

Unless you're being sarcastic.

Superman returns

7/10

It's repeated tonight around 1am.

I saw Superman Returns for the first time yesterday and would rate it: 6.5/10

I got Iron Man on dvd over Christmas and would rate it 8/10.

I admit...they did an amazing job by managing to make a mediocre film out of such a terrible character.

I see it as the other way around. Iron Man being the better one between it and Superman Returns. Iron Man had the laughs and had a great moments, Superman Returns tended to cut short the great action.

Anyway

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Good second incarnation from Ron Pearlman. This is the Blu-Ray version of the movie so i can safely say it looks fantastic, sounds fantastic and all that. The extras are plentiful and the BD-Live features are quite good as well.

Story-wise, it is a great movie. Obviously the only references from the original movie come at the beginning and some patchy moments throughout. A bit predictable from the opening sequence about what will happen, but still a great movie though.

9/10

I like both equally. ReZ thinks Transformers is an amazing film, so I can't not deny himany rights as an opinion-making film-goer.

Iron Man is like a perfect solid package. Nothing to think about after, except that you really enjoyed it! And if a film does that, it doesn't need to be intelectual or whatever.

Superman Returns is bit more of an investment. And considering I dislike Superman as a premise, I kinda like what they did. It felt a bit odd at the end, as you analyse it as a whole, but still. I liked it.

The aeroplane scene in the cinema was breathtaking.

-----

2001 : A Space Odyssey

10/10

Absolutely amazing.

This was made in 1968? Fuck me harder, that's one acheivement.

All The Boys Love Mandy Lane

I love that it wasn't cliched. It was short and kinda sweet, at only 85 mins. Was better than typical fare, but not as perversely enjoyable and gratuituous.

Though we kinda guessed the ending, it feels lovely.

6/10

Star Wars Episode IV : A New Hope

I'd only ever seen this once before, about 5 years ago. I know, I'm terrible. But it was fun enough reminiscing. As I was really tired and at that point where you're sobering down from having that numb-hand drunk feeling, I can't remember what happened from when they escaped the closing in walls up to the death star destruction.

I love Leia though. Unbelievably good at fighting.

7/10