NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

Holy moly, Benjamin Button's out??? Thought that was new year. I need to get my ass down to the cinema. Seems to be doing rather well on the ol' imdb ratingscale which can't be bad.

Can't think what I've seen recently...

Actually that said I've seen both of these in the past couple weeks

L.A Confidential

I had actually forgotten about this, because it never seems to get mentioned when people do the best film lists. The story, the acting - basically everything about it is fantastic. I remember watching it when I was a bit younger and not getting it completely but still I was sat glued to the screen.

Brokeback Mountain

No doubt, one of the best movies ever made. I still can't fathom why the Oscars didn't award both the Best Actor award to Ledger (It was the best performance of the year) and The Best Film (It beats Crash, hands down).

During the very final scene, I don't think I have ever been more engrossed in a film than at that very moment. Fucking emotional.

Yeh Id agree with both of those. Probably knock a mark off each but still. I found LA Confidential abit hard to follow, partly because i was tired when watching and im a dumbass. Brokeback is doubtlessly amazing though, Ledger is incredible in it.

On a side note, nah Crash is good aswell.

Iron Man

3/10 It put me to sleep...twice. The film had no soul, extremely poor.

I actually agree with this. Well, I wouldn't give it a 3, probably a 6 - 7ish, but I thought it was massively overrated.

On a side note, nah Crash is good aswell.

Oh no, I'm not saying Crash isn't a very, very good film. I'm just saying compare it to brokeback, and brokeback wins hands down. Ledgers performace + the fact it has Gyllenhaal in (Ok, the second thing is just down to my fondness for Jake but sssshhh) and there's no questioning which is the better movie.

Button isn't out in the UK till feb the 6th :)

But we all must admit we love Thandi Newton.

I have a soft spot for both her and Sandra Bullock - so having them both in the same film was jizz worthy. (I'm unsure as to why I love Bullock...I just do.)

Also, have you seen her in Norbit? ...No? Well don't. It ruined her as an actress for me.

--

Interview with the Vampire

Much better than I expected. Dunst was pretty brilliant as a vampire.

La Vie En Rose

Stunning.

Just... staggering.

Literally the best performance I've ever witnessed in my life.

I sat through all the credits in silence, only then did I get up to wash the tears from my face.

10/10

La Vie En Rose

Stunning.

Just... staggering.

Literally the best performance I've ever witnessed in my life.

I sat through all the credits in silence, only then did I get up to wash the tears from my face.

10/10

I warned you it would be good! Now pass that dutch, I need to see it.

I love the fact I actually properly cried. Like, I've not done so for about 5 years.

Not even at that sad a bit - I was crying more at the movie as a whole.

Twilight

WOW! A bit better than I thought it would be. First things first, the casting was rather great I felt. Easy on the eyes (even liked the fathers tache'/tash') the gloomy filter or whatever they call it gave the film a cool and unique mood, the score was actually quality. Story left a tiny bit to be desired, but I think that almost worked well. It was good that they weren't just throwing in big name bad guys or whatever. The character development was suprisingly good.

It was just all very good. The pseudo kiss scene was actually staggeringly sexy for a chick' scene. Main character chick was hot. It was good. :) Liked it a lot. Good to cap off my cinemaing year.

8/10

Doomsday - 8/10

Plenty of action, good storyline, post apocalyptic cannibals, swordplay, great car chases, what's not to like?

So no one else has see Mulholland Drive? I expected a flurry of "Oh yeah, that's some freaky shit!" or something.

Oh well.

I've had it on DVD for a while.

"Oh yeah, that's some freaky shit."

Howl's Moving Castle

Was supposed to see this in the cinema when it came out but my friends were being dicks when it came to sorting out a time so I've only just seen it now. And seriously, I don't know what I've just watched. Looked and sounded beautiful (As all of Studio Ghibli's films do) but I couldn't follow some of the story. Just left me a little confused. Why was sophie constantly changing between old and young and why did she revert back to young at the end but keep the grey hair? Loads of little things like that. Perhaps if I read the book I'll be able to understand more but it did feel like it was slightly harder to follow or understand than most of their other films. ]

Still, as I said, it was beautiful and the score accompanying it was great and it was an interesting watch. Still prefer Princess Mononoke though.

7 out of 10

The book is good but only about the first third is the same.

But basically Sophie kept appearing young (and if you notice theres various stages of youngness) whenever she believed in herself and was confident. Hence at the end she was young as she believed in herself enough and rescued Howl. And I presume the hair is silver because it shows a) she's no longer that dull Sophie with plain old brown hair we meet at the start of the film and b) its a memory of what she went through with Howl. It took me a few viewings to get that.

I do adore the film though. It fills me with happiness.

Yeh it was a good film but seemed to incorporate many aspects from the other Studio Ghibli films. For example, Howl's Moving Castle reminded me of Laputa. That's in no way a bad thing but a little bit of me felt like I had already seen some of it. Will watch it again when I get hold of it on DVD with a few others.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Go watch this movie, you will not regret it!

10/10

Resident Evil degeneration

Loved it, and I'm happy that they made a movie following the game

8/10

Bolt

Another great animation from Disney and the hamster is brilliant! :)

7/10

The dark knight

Maybe it's because I've watched it for the second time but I appreciate certain parts more, like the ending now and don't appreciate others. It strayed away from batman quite alot, with two-face and the joker being the man events.

Nether the less it's still a fantastic film.

9/10

What's this Benji Button stuff about?

Yes Man

Stars Jim Carrey as the man who says "No" to all until he learns the power of "Yes". Now that is when the movie gets interesting and funny at the same time, not that it isn't interesting at the beginning or anything. Quite a brilliant movie full of laughs throughout.

9.5/10

Sounds very Liar Liar-esque. Yay/nay?

Twilight

WOW! A bit better than I thought it would be. First things first, the casting was rather great I felt. Easy on the eyes (even liked the fathers tache'/tash') the gloomy filter or whatever they call it gave the film a cool and unique mood, the score was actually quality. Story left a tiny bit to be desired, but I think that almost worked well. It was good that they weren't just throwing in big name bad guys or whatever. The character development was suprisingly good.

It was just all very good. The pseudo kiss scene was actually staggeringly sexy for a chick' scene. Main character chick was hot. It was good. :) Liked it a lot. Good to cap off my cinemaing year.

8/10

There was none. Unless you count Edward becoming "friendly", after he "fell in love with her at first sight". Though I still think he was just about to be sick and to cover for it.

There was none. Unless you count Edward becoming "friendly", after he "fell in love with her at first sight". Though I still think he was just about to be sick and to cover for it.

I do count that. And I found that bit suprisingly good. My comment stands.

I do count that. And I found that bit suprisingly good. My comment stands.

So one of the many characters was (arguably) developed. Therefore it has good character development? :indeed:

I shant lie though, I thought the girl was good. She felt real/I loved her face.

So one of the many characters was (arguably) developed. Therefore it has good character development? :indeed:

I shant lie though, I thought the girl was good. She felt real/I loved her face.

No seriously I honestly thought the character development was good. I don't see why thats an invalid point to be honest. It didn't have oodles, obviously as it was just...yeah. But considering.

To be fair to everyone involved, the story was the worst thing about Twilight.

Oh definitely. Story was effectively bollocks.