NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

Fantastic Four - 5/10

First time watching it, thought I'd give it a go at last as it was on TV! Enjoyable enough, it was an alright watch, but really not all that great is it!

Doesn't have an epic feel to it in the slightest, the final fight takes place on the corner of some block somewhere and that's it! rubbish!

And how come The Invisible Girl says she can't hold back Dooms electricity he's blasting at her, yet at the end she can contain a Super Nova!!

To be fair, she did get a nosebleed and collapse (IIRC).

But I generally think Alba was poor casting choice as Sue Storm...she's good for eye candy and to pull punters in, but she's not at all what the character is like in the comics.

I Am Legend

Will Smith stars in this post-apocalyptic movie as the last survivor in New York. First time watching this, actually thought it was quite a good movie. Good acting from himself and how well the zombie things react etc. I did actually feel sorry for him at points in the movie, namely these parts

[spoiler=]when he has to kill his dog, which is his only companion in New York once it becomes infected with the virus - Each time his radio broadcast goes out, and he waits in the area for anyone to show up, and no-one shows up - And right at the end of the movie when he does finally find a cure for the virus and the infected are wanting to kill him in his own basement, and he looks at his family photo in the draw and kills himself to save the cure which is in the hands of the other survivor.

Good movie overall, 9/10

The Shawshank Redemption

A brilliant film.

9/10

Tru dat.

Would you believe that it's Stephen King? My mom and friend wouldn't. They think all his stuff has to be creepy and scary.

The Best Of 2008

I spent a lot of time on this, please take some time out to look through it and offer your own Top 10's of 2008.

So, in alphabetical order:

Changeling (Dir. Clint Eastwood)

Angelina Jolie makes up for her decision to star in Wanted by acting herself into another Oscar nomination with her fantastic portrayal of Cristine Collins, a single mother whose son went missing in 1927, only to be returned to her five months later, only the boy that was recovered wasn’t her son.

A shocking and at times unbelievable true story that makes for one heck of a tough film. Jolie will likely pick up the Best Actress Oscar for this, but I can’t see it winning over the voters in many other categories.

8/10

The Dark Knight (Dir. Christopher Nolan)

An absolute triumph of action filmmaking. Moving as far away from the fantasy world of comic books as he could, Nolan has given us a thrilling ride through Gotham and the scum that walks it’s streets that has more in common with Chinatown than it does with Spider-Man 3.

This film, and Heath Ledger’s performance have been discussed more than enough over the past six months, so I’ll keep this one short and more than anything The Dark Knight is a film that speaks for itself.

8/10

The English Surgeon (Dir. Geoffrey Smith)

Fascinating documentary about an English brain surgeon who travels to the Ukraine once or twice a year in order to carry out free brain surgery. There are many brilliant moments, the most shocking being a moment when he and the translator are discussing in English that a patient is going to die, as she sits in the room unable to understand. They send her home without telling her, advising her to come back later with a family member.

It is a great insight into the world of life threatening surgery and the will of a man who will undertake such things for free as well as being an expose of the Ukrainian health service.

8/10

Man On Wire (Dir. James Marsh)

Documentary telling the story of Philippe Petit’s historic – and illegal – tightrope walk between the twin towers in 1974. Petit himself features heavily in the film, narrating sections and telling insane stories of his fascination with tightrope walking and the twin towers. The feat itself is astounding, only a Frenchman could have done such a thing and only Philippe Petit could have done it illegally. Absolutely awe inspiring documentary.

9/10

Milk (Dir. Gus Van Sant)

Gus Van Sant’s biopic of the life of Harvey Milk, the first openly gay man to be elected to a major office of United States government. It tells the story of his move from New York to San Francisco in 1970, through his campaigning and eventual election to office, ending with his assassination in 1978. Sean Penn is stunning as Harvey Milk, with Emile Hirsch and Josh Brolin excellent in their supporting roles.

Van Sant’s direction at times gets in the way of proceedings, but overall this is a delightful, terrifying and important film, made all the more powerful that all of this really happened and that there was a man as driven and as passionate as Harvey Milk, he should be remembered along with Ghandi and Martin Luther King as one of the great activists of the 20th century.

9/10

Rachel Getting Married (Dir. Jonathan Demme)

A film about the marriage of Rachel (Rosemarie DeWitt) and Sidney (TV On The Radio’s Tunde Adebimpe), the planning of which is going smoothly until Rachel’s ex-drug addict sister Kym (Anne Hathaway) shows up after leaving rehab. It’s like a high budget Dogme film and Demme’s camera makes you feel like you’re a guest at the party.

Like a less fucked up Festen with more beautiful women, more Neil Young and more wedding cake.

9/10

Son Of Rambow (Dir. Garth Jennings)

Completely not what I expected from the director of the awful Hitchhikers film. I laughed, I cried and I liked it etc etc. The best British film I’d seen in a while, until Man On Wire came along, and like Kermode says, one of the best grown up films about childhood that there has ever been.

The French exchange student Didier is hilarious and the two leads are flawless on their acting debuts, plus Adam Buxton as a beardy science teacher and Jessica Hynes (nee Stevenson) as William’s mother make for some even more enjoyable viewing.

8/10

There Will Be Blood (Dir. Paul Thomas Anderson)

Brooding, beautiful, terrifying film about greedy oil prospector, Daniel Plainview. I’ve already heaped plenty of praise on it, so you already know when I tell you that it’s fantastic. Every performance bleeds off the screen, Paul Dano is exceptional in the dual role of Paul & Eli Sunday, as is Dillon Freasier in the role of Daniel’s son and business partner, H.W. Plainview.

The score by Jonny Greenwood shows shades of Olivier Messian and even post-punk band Liars. His deep and varied compositions can send a chill down your spine and seem to effortlessly ramp up the tension during some of the more action filled moments.

There Will Be Blood is a towering achievement in cinema and it will be remembered in years to come as one of the finest works of the early 21st century, it’s jaw dropping final sequence already a classic cinema moment in many critic’s eyes.

9/10

WALL*E (Dir. Andrew Stanton)

Heart breaking robot romance, absolutely fantastic comic drama from the house of mouse and the best animation studio in the film industry. It lived up to the hype, and it was note perfect, filmed like Capricorn One and with the tone and majesty of a golden era Hollywood drama, or maybe just Hello Dolly, WALL*E is an instant classic. It’s only surprising that it was directed by Stanton; surely only Brad Bird can do animation this good!

9/10

The Wrestler (Dir. Darren Aronofsky)

Darren Aronofsky’s latest is something of a legend already, featuring the ‘comeback’ performance of Mickey Rourke, finally back on form after his belated decision to quit acting and take up boxing in 1991. Rourke seems tailor made for the role of Randy ‘The Ram’ Robinson, the central character and the wrestler of the title. He was a pro in the 80’s, with a slew of merchandising including his own action figure and NES game. But now 20 years later, he’s washed up and alone, living in a trailer park and working in a supermarket, wrestling only in amateur tournaments.

Rourke deserves all the nominations and accolades they throw at him, he simply is Randy Robinson in this film. Marisa Tomei deserves some attention for her turn as a stripper, although Evan Rachel Wood disappoints with a slightly overacted performance as The Ram’s daughter.

It is a shame though that Aronofsky will be bypassed by the awards committees, as his muted, documentary style camerawork gives the actors room to breath and allows for some stunning wrestling sequences.

9/10

Films I have yet to see that could dislodge one of the top 10:Waltz With Bashir; I’ve Loved You So Long; Of Time & The City; Hunger; Gomorrah; Frost/Nixon; High School Musical 3.

Honourable Mentions: Lars & The Real Girl; Vicky Cristina Barcelona; Hannah Takes The Stairs; Eastern Promises; My Kid Could Paint That; Roman Polanski: Wanted & Desired; The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button; Mister Lonely; Mamma Mia.

The Best Of 2008

I spent a lot of time on this, please take some time out to look through it and offer your own Top 10's of 2008.

Excellent post.

I am itching to see Man on Wire. I don't know how you saw it (cinema, dvd etc) so you may not be able to comment, but would you say it is something that would benefit from me buying on Blu Ray as opposed to DVD?

I am still yet to see There Will Be Blood. Must do that.

Also I didn't know anything really about The Wrestler, but that sounds excellent. I will go see it if/when it is on here.

The Wrestler is out at the cinema on January 16th and Man On Wire should be screening on BBC Four sometime over the next month as it was funded by their Storyville strand, so just keep posted to the TV listings.

The Wrestler is out at the cinema on January 16th and Man On Wire should be screening on BBC Four sometime over the next month as it was funded by their Storyville strand, so just keep posted to the TV listings.

.........AWESOME. Thanks.

I am itching to see Man on Wire. I don't know how you saw it (cinema, dvd etc) so you may not be able to comment, but would you say it is something that would benefit from me buying on Blu Ray as opposed to DVD?

I personally saw it at an arthouse cinema, and I don't think it would work properly unless on the best quality formats you could get it on.

So Blu-Ray, HD whatever.

killthenets post about it actually reminded of it. I actually feel a strange sense of euphoria mixed with the feeling that I should be crying. That's how good Man On Wire is.

And yeah, great list killthenet. Lots on their I agree completely with, and a few that I mean to see.

Che Part 1 and 2.

I watched this last night in the cinema. :) I thought they were very good movies.

Part 1

Part one started off slowly and it took its time to find it's place but once it had I found the second half of part 1 was excellent. What I did like is the cut between the "action" of Che in Cuba and then him in later after he has come out going through what he believed in. I like how it was drawn out as it felt like actual guerilla warfare where there is a lot of waiting doing nothing. It meant when the fighting did happen it was more effective and not just massive explosions for massive explosions sake.

I felt the settings where brilliant, really good contrasts from Cuba in the first film to Bolivia in the second film.

I have to say the choice of music in the first part felt random and tacked on It's definately some of the cheekiest movie I've ever heard. It was used in all the wrong places but it didn't come often so hardly effected the movie.

It took me a bit of time to get into the movie but once I did I was hooked. Only problem is it doesn't show when he finally takes over Havana. :) I'm not sure why I did not know much about Che before I saw this maye it's not interesting.

6 Bears out of 7

Part 2

my friend went to get a drink and missed me get over excited when Paraguay came up on screen and me shouting out:

"YOU CAN TAKE SOUTH AMERICA BUT YOU WILL NEVER TAKE PARAGUAY"

I was hoping to see him take Havana but it went straight into his attempt at saving Latin America/Bolivia. So this part was his downfall. I'm still unsure which Part I preferred as they are different in there style. This one may have been slower than the first but it was more captivating from the beginning (also a little confusing, will get to that!)

Bolivia felt darker and dirtier than Cuba perhaps to show Che's downfall I don't know but Cuba felt much brighter in comparison. Again I liked the fact that it was drawn out as you felt more in tune with what was going on. Unfortunately although it did draw me in I was not concerned that people where dying as I found it hard to diffientrate between characters. At times I was confused as to who was Che as many of the leaders of the different sections had epic beards but that's probably just me.

Also I noticed that the cheeky music had disappeared as if they'd sacked the guy who'd put the music in the first one. I felt it didn't need music as that made the action slightly cheesy!

I loved the way in which Che died you could feel it coming and it was shot in fist person which had a bigger impact as at that moment I felt as if I was Che on his last legs. Also the fact that it sort of begins how it ends was good as well. :D

6 Bears out of 7.

Overall:

It is a solid film, there is not much to fault with it but it does feel bland and a little lifeless. It has no real style of its own and that is where its major flaw lies for me. I was watching it and at the end you notice that it definately lacking something!

I will stick with my rating of 6 Bears out of 7 (8.5/10, I'm away my rating sysytem doesn't coincide mathematically)

The Terminal

Tom Hanks film, was on again last night, and was my second time seeing it.

Really like this film. Tom Hanks puts in a great performance. It's a different sort of film which is probably why I like it [as it's a nice change]. Good simple story, emotional, great characters, nice ending.

7.5/10

D2: Mighty Ducks

Used to watch this a lot when I was younger. Strange watching it now as it brings back memories from when I used to play ice hockey. Miss those days. Anyways, the movie. It's alright. But some of the hockey is just awful, especially in the shootout but then I guess they've done it as such so that those who don't really know much about the sport can enjoy it but as someone who played it, some of the goals that the Iceland goalie let in were shocking and probably wouldn't let those kind of goals in in real life. Likewise, why would you pick a player for your team who couldn't stop? Regardless of his skill with the puck, being able to stop is a fundamental skill which is a requisite for playing the game. And don't get me started on the lassoing and bash brothers bit. :shakehead

6 out of 10

The Terminal

Love this film. Something about it just makes it stick with me. Tom Hanks is pretty good in it, and is pretty believable as the Krakozhian stuck in limbo. Catherine Zeta Jones could have been much better than some eye candy but then I don't honestly think I've seen her act particularly well in any of her movies. Some of it was a little ridiculous, such as Viktor being able to collect the trolleys and get the quarters for a substantial period of time before they stopped him doing it. I would have liked to have seen a bit more into Viktor's life, perhaps some flashbacks to the Jazz stuff with his dad or even a more prolonged look at the meeting with the saxophonist at the end. But apart from that, it's a good movie. I enjoy watching it (seen it like 4 times now) even with the cringeworthy bits provided by Zeta Jones' character.

8 out of 10

Films I have yet to see that could dislodge one of the top 10:Waltz With Bashir; I’ve Loved You So Long; Of Time & The City; Hunger; Gomorrah; Frost/Nixon; High School Musical 3.

I love.

: peace:

The Sword in the Stone

A disney classic = Pr0 film. And still as funny as i remember. Especially the wolf scene. *Youtubes*

The terminal

I don't know where i was with this film, some aspects were actually incredible, the beginning, where he became trapped and began to deal with it was great, the relationship ending with the woman (was it bullock? hmm) and the goat bit and the ending which i did like.

The rest seemed filler.

hmm

The terminal

I don't know where i was with this film, some aspects were actually incredible, the beginning, where he became trapped and began to deal with it was great, the relationship ending with the woman (was it bullock? hmm) and the goat bit and the ending which i did like.

The rest seemed filler.

hmm

...wtf? Filler?? This isn't an anime series :p

It was Catherine Zeta Jones not Sandra Bullock! I saw it last night as well, always enjoy this film. Different from any other I've seen :)

...wtf? Filler?? This isn't an anime series :p

It was Catherine Zeta Jones not Sandra Bullock! I saw it last night as well, always enjoy this film. Different from any other I've seen :)

filler as in, biding time over for the story to move on.

Che Part 1 and 2.

I watched this last night in the cinema. :) I thought they were very good movies.

Part 1

Part one started off slowly and it took its time to find it's place but once it had I found the second half of part 1 was excellent. What I did like is the cut between the "action" of Che in Cuba and then him in later after he has come out going through what he believed in. I like how it was drawn out as it felt like actual guerilla warfare where there is a lot of waiting doing nothing. It meant when the fighting did happen it was more effective and not just massive explosions for massive explosions sake.

I felt the settings where brilliant, really good contrasts from Cuba in the first film to Bolivia in the second film.

I have to say the choice of music in the first part felt random and tacked on It's definately some of the cheekiest movie I've ever heard. It was used in all the wrong places but it didn't come often so hardly effected the movie.

It took me a bit of time to get into the movie but once I did I was hooked. Only problem is it doesn't show when he finally takes over Havana. :) I'm not sure why I did not know much about Che before I saw this maye it's not interesting.

6 Bears out of 7

Part 2

my friend went to get a drink and missed me get over excited when Paraguay came up on screen and me shouting out:

"YOU CAN TAKE SOUTH AMERICA BUT YOU WILL NEVER TAKE PARAGUAY"

I was hoping to see him take Havana but it went straight into his attempt at saving Latin America/Bolivia. So this part was his downfall. I'm still unsure which Part I preferred as they are different in there style. This one may have been slower than the first but it was more captivating from the beginning (also a little confusing, will get to that!)

Bolivia felt darker and dirtier than Cuba perhaps to show Che's downfall I don't know but Cuba felt much brighter in comparison. Again I liked the fact that it was drawn out as you felt more in tune with what was going on. Unfortunately although it did draw me in I was not concerned that people where dying as I found it hard to diffientrate between characters. At times I was confused as to who was Che as many of the leaders of the different sections had epic beards but that's probably just me.

Also I noticed that the cheeky music had disappeared as if they'd sacked the guy who'd put the music in the first one. I felt it didn't need music as that made the action slightly cheesy!

I loved the way in which Che died you could feel it coming and it was shot in fist person which had a bigger impact as at that moment I felt as if I was Che on his last legs. Also the fact that it sort of begins how it ends was good as well. :D

6 Bears out of 7.

Overall:

It is a solid film, there is not much to fault with it but it does feel bland and a little lifeless. It has no real style of its own and that is where its major flaw lies for me. I was watching it and at the end you notice that it definately lacking something!

I will stick with my rating of 6 Bears out of 7 (8.5/10, I'm away my rating sysytem doesn't coincide mathematically)

Are these actually really good, then? They're showing at a little Cinema near me, but the problem is that they're showing Parts 1 and 2 a week apart. Hmmmmm.

How long are they?

Think I found out that no where near me is showing Sex Drive also. Crap. Crappity crap fuck sticks. I need to see it. London shopping/cinema maybe. Hmmm. Not impressed.

How long are they?

Think I found out that no where near me is showing Sex Drive also. Crap. Crappity crap fuck sticks. I need to see it. London shopping/cinema maybe. Hmmm. Not impressed.

Hatfield? hmm

I haven't watched it yet, but I'm planning on it. I'm going to use some early lyrics, and bonus points to whoever guesses what movie first.

"I get no kicks from Champaign.

Mere alcohol doesn't thrill me at all.

So tell me, why should I get a belt...out of yooou?

CooOoocainnn-"

"Hold it hold it. I meant a song, a real song.

Like: Swing high, sweeet chariot."

*pauses*

"Don't know that one...

Well how about the Camptown lady?"

"The Camptown Lady?"

"Oh you know"

That outta be enough, the movie is a classic someone should get it. I'd rate it 9/10 though.

Hatfield? hmm

Actually looking at that I'm not 100% sure that they won't be showing it. Role Models is showing up but Sex Drive isn't and they (should) be out the same day. Theres only one Odeon with Sex Drive showing up. I'll wait till next week.

Hatfield is a somewhat viable option though if they do show it. 1hour30round trip though....hmmm. Still worth it probably.

Are these actually really good, then? They're showing at a little Cinema near me, but the problem is that they're showing Parts 1 and 2 a week apart. Hmmmmm.

I keep forgetting who The Star is and get really excited when I remember it's you.

anyway, for me I found them to be good!

It was an odd experience, as my body felt bored while watching them but my brain was very interested at what was happening on screen. (if you get what I mean) :)

Now are they worth watching a part and paying seperately for? I'd say yes. :D

Each film has it's own merits and you can see one without the other but they work together so I feel watching them together made the movies overall a greater experience but also it is heavy going to sit through 4 and a bit hours. (well for me anyway), so separiting them a week a part is a wise choice. As Part 1 will still feel fresh in your mind and if in fact you did not enjoy Part 1 you then don't have to sit through another 2hrs of it! : peace:

I'd say it is not going to be the best movie you see this year but not one you should miss. I'd say go for it!

And I apologise already if you do not enjoy the movie!

How long are they?

First movie 2hours 6 minute and the second 2hrs 16 minute or so I am told IMDB had it wrong. (not sure whether it does now!)

Also is Sex Drive the one that has some one dressed up as a piece of giant mexican food (maybe a Taco?) If so I want to see it. :p

I keep forgetting who The Star is and get really excited when I remember it's you.

I have to admit that I didn't read the rest of this post, as that just had me cracking up, haha.

PS: We saw you in That 70s show early. You looked The Sex.