NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

I do much prefer comedies or comic book type films to anything else really, but I can literally adore any film potentially. I feel its a pretty good and varied list quite representative of my taste. :)

I won't lie, I liked your inclusion of No Country For Old Men. I think you'll prefer There Will Be Blood though.

(I treat them as a pair, for whatever reason. Both kinda western themed/lies)

I don't think I've seen enough films this year to really qualify. Or those I have I haven't really paid attention to or I just borrowed crap from work to relax to.

The Fall looks like it may be the contender for 09 (even if I haven't watched it yet and it was released in 08 in America) though.

THANK YOU for reminding me about this.

I unashamedly loved The Cell, so want to see this badly. (It looks better, too)

I won't lie, I liked your inclusion of No Country For Old Men. I think you'll prefer There Will Be Blood though.

(I treat them as a pair, for whatever reason. Both kinda western themed/lies)

THANK YOU for reminding me about this.

I unashamedly loved The Cell, so want to see this badly. (It looks better, too)

I'm off to watch it now so I'll let you know how it goes. Unless you make it down here in five minutes then you can watch with :p

I unashamedly love Lee Pace so I plan to soon follow this up with Soldier's Girl which is apparently also quite good.

I'm off to watch it now so I'll let you know how it goes. Unless you make it down here in five minutes then you can watch with :p

*Can run at 230mph, but chooses not to*

the spirit

dont bother going to see it. its not a good film. its not dark or edgy, its not funny or exciting. its just fucking stupid.

SAMUEL L JACKSON IN A NAZI UNIFORM!

3/10

Closer

This is another mid-movie review.

It's like a really bad play. Boring.

5/10

Closer

This is another mid-movie review.

It's like a really bad play. Boring.

5/10

It was a play before it was a film.

I thought it was relatively alright - I loved how Natalie Portman literally played them all for fools.

It was a play before it was a film.

I thought it was relatively alright - I loved how Natalie Portman literally played them all for fools.

I'd imagine it'd be better on stage.

Clive Owen just broke up with Julia 'Pretty Woman but actually a whore' Roberts (Sorry I can't stand her). That was entertaining.

Clive Owen just broke up with Julia 'Pretty Woman but actually a whore' Roberts (Sorry I can't stand her). That was entertaining.

It's a rollercoaster ride from then on.

Well, not really at all as exciting.

From what I'm seeing, Clive Owen is the best thing about this film.

Let me in on this list making thing!

Solo's Top Ten of the Year 2008

10. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

9. Cloverfield

8. There Will Be Blood

7. No Country For Old Men

6. In Bruges

5. Hellboy II: The Golden Army

4. Happy-Go-Lucky

3. Juno

2. Wall-E

1. The Dark Knight

Honourable mentions: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Speed Racer, Funny Games U.S, Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay.

I saw a total of 56 films, some gems, some stinkers.. and a whole lotta mediocrity.

Are you still in the middle of watching?

Lol, I just ruined the ending for you...

Are you still in the middle of watching?

Lol, I just ruined the ending for you...

I was pretty suspect of NP's motives tbh. :heh:

Edit: It got better. 7/10

Cloverfield

Watched it last night because I ahdn't watched a film in ages and I just wanted some kind of epic but not quite in the conventional sense and this just happened to fit the bill.

I love the way that it's all shot through someone filming it all on a hand-held camcorder, and everything was paced just right, sure it's still predictable in it's plot somewhat but it never ceases to entertain.

It has the atmosphere etc and while you are never truly on the edge of your seat (even though you kinda are) you just want to keep watching to see what happens, the end is kind of half-surprising, but not really, but still really good, it's just one of those films you need to watch to appreciate, it's not mindblowing but it is brilliant for what it is, yes it's only about an hour and a half long but it's pitched and paced perfectly.

8/10

The Fall

Visually wonderful and the story takes a while but it gets there and it clicks and is lovely. The little girl could be a Ghibli character and I fanboy Lee Pace so....but yes they're connection is quite special.

And (being vague so as not to give too much away) but considering his profession his emotional situation is interesting. Thinking about it now its obvious but before I'd never really thought it could happen.

But just to go on record. If I die unexpectly this is how I wish to be buried;

kf0808.png

4lq88h.png

Anything less and I'll come haunt your arses!

DAFT. I was disappointed when I saw the 5, I think Closer is an amazing film with two incredible performances from Owen and Portman; I love the play, and the film is a great adaptation. I'm glad you reviewed your score :) Though why would you come on here and post your score in the middle of watching it anyway?! :D

PS And 7 is too low ;)

DAFT. I was disappointed when I saw the 5, I think Closer is an amazing film with two incredible performances from Owen and Portman; I love the play, and the film is a great adaptation. I'm glad you reviewed your score :) Though why would you come on here and post your score in the middle of watching it anyway?! :D

PS And 7 is too low ;)

I'd give it an 8 at best, personally.

It's good, and in many ways, I like the fact it isn't smoothed out to be more "film-like".

PS And 7 is too low ;)

Yeah, Owen and Portman were pretty awesome. I just felt it started off too slow. It did get better as it went on. I think I'd have preferred to see the play.

My netbook sits on the sofa next to me most the time. I've started multitasking recently which is bad an I should really stop.

I don't it translated that well into a film to be honest. Mainly because I could tell it was written to be a play within 5 minutes.

I've been searching for an Mp3 version of Llorando (Crying) by Rebekah Del Rio since I saw Mulholland Drive.

I bought the song she did for Southland Tales (2 films I watched back to back she was in - coincidence? Both trippy?!) a cover of Star Spangled Banner, but I finally found the edit of Llorando from the film for DL on her official site.

I might have to the full original at some point.

Why?

Because it literally caused my heart to break into little bits. The song, the context of it in the film..the direction of that scene.

God.

HOWEVER...I don't want people to look it up, as Youtube vids of it include movie footage that could be considered spoilers.

EDIT:

I feel like a fool! If I'd just typed in "Mulholland Drive" in iTunes store, it was right there! To commemorate the occasion, I bought the entre soundtrack, along with 16 Reasons by Connie Stevens, which for some reason isn't on it.

Went to see Yes Man tonight, which, whilst very similar in idea to Liar, Liar (another staring role for Carey, which makes it even odder), is very, very good. The plot's predictable, but that's not why you'd see it, right? The laughs are many, and can often be cleverly constructed. I recommend it!

8/10

Iron Man

Fantastic! Not as much action as I had anticipated, but that didn't bother me as the story, characters and humour were wonderful. One of the best comic book movies.

In Bruges

Got what I was expecting, and it was a pretty decent film with some funny dialogue and a good ending. Ralph Finnes was hillarious in his role, Brendan Gleeson was great as usual and I liked Colin Farrell (who I generally consider the C word) aswell.

Cloverfield

My second viewing. When I watched this at the cinema, I felt akward watching it with an audience, but it was more comfortable on my own. Not a bad film, defintley over-hyped, and it felt much shorter this time and I also found Hud to be very very annoying. Still a nice little 'experience'.

Cloverfield

Watched it on Blu-Ray with my parents 50" HDTV and cinemas speakers thing.

WOW. Took a while to get going but I was really engrossed and just wanted it to go on and on.

Disappointed with the ending, wanted to know more....but yeah, was a great experience, just needed a little less of the beginning and a little more of the ending.

8/10

I love Closer, it's just so well thought out with brilliant characters and intense emotion. The bit when Clive Owen is shouting at Julia Roberts is fantastic, he is defintely the film's shining light. Haven't watched in a while but I reckon I'd still give it a solid 8.

On-topic, and if not, pics of Natalie Portman are always called for;

143348__natalie_l.jpg

I love Closer, it's just so well thought out with brilliant characters and intense emotion. The bit when Clive Owen is shouting at Julia Roberts is fantastic, he is defintely the film's shining light. Haven't watched in a while but I reckon I'd still give it a solid 8.

:bowdown:

That scene is amazing; "Because I'm a fucking animal!!"

Also love the scene where he visits portman in the stripjoint, he's beating his soul for the first time in the film, opening up to her, breaking down to her. But gets nowhere; they can't connect, and she asks him what he wants, he gives up and says "I want you to turn around and touch your toes" Fucking brilliant subtext!!

Also love near the end when Jude Law comes into his surgery and saying that portman is his, and he loves her, you don't love her, I do etc. And Owen says "don't talk to me about love. Do you know what a heart looks like? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood." What a fucking line that is!!!