NEurope
Ronnie

Indie Games

4 hours ago, drahkon said:

Nice to see more and more indies coming to the Switch, even though it's mostly older ones.

Mostly older ones? There's tons of new games released every week, not to mention a Direct that just showed off loads more. It's just the old ones make for better headlines because of how critically acclaimed they are. Devs are desperate to port their games to Switch. 

Sigh. Is it really necessary to spend time on languages? Bugs and FPS, sure, spend time on that. But adding 10 languages seems a bit unnecessary.

17 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Sigh. Is it really necessary to spend time on languages? Bugs and FPS, sure, spend time on that. But adding 10 languages seems a bit unnecessary.

The languages would be worked on by outside localisation studios anyway, so I doubt it would have much impact on the progress of the Switch version.

Support for more languages is something to be commended in all cases; especially in the realm of indie games, where games don't usually get released in languages other than English.

Edited by Dcubed

1 hour ago, Dog-amoto said:

Still unable to give even a vague release date for Hollow Knight  

http://teamcherry.com.au/lifeblood-update/

I’m sure they said the same thing a while back. Cool about the added content though. 

On the one hand, it is a shame that they can’t yet commit to a release window. But, on the other hand, I agree with @Dcubed: it’s awesome that they’re going to be supporting 10 languages, which is a pretty big undertaking, but one that seems worth taking if they’re still going to be ironing stuff out in the coming months anyway.

My hope would be that it’s out no later than the end of June, because the Switch version has been in the oven for quite some time now. Any later than E3 and I can imagine that some might just turn to the PC version of the game. 

17 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

The languages would be worked on by outside localisation studios anyway, so I doubt it would have much impact on the progress of the Switch version.

Support for more languages is something to be commended in all cases; especially in the realm of indie games, where games don't usually get released in languages other than English.

Yeah,  I agree, someone else I probably handling it but from the update

Languages: As of Lifeblood, HK’s is now in 10 Languages! And for Switch release these have to be in great shape. Getting the localisations cleaned up, with all their unique alphabets and spacings, has been a big undertaking, though one that goes largely unseen by players. We’re close on this, and we’re using the Lifeblood beta to iron out any last issues.

It sounds like it still involves them a lot.

Languages can be added post-release, and are usually done by outside sources (one of my games on GOG was updated with a Korean version that was originally a fan translation, for example). The development on Lifeblood's side only involves guaranteeing the support for different alphabets (not unlike installing new letters/characters in an old-fashioned printer), so I don't think it'll take too much of their time.

Disappointing but commendable they're putting the work in to make it release in a great state. Plenty more indie games to play on Switch in the mean time. 

Might give Blossom Tales or Floor Kids a go next...

I keep thinking of picking up Blossom Tales but I hear it’s a bit padded out with copied and pasted puzzles and questionable level design. 

It looks good from the trailers though but I may wait till VC launches and the inevitable LttP port to scratch this particular itch. 

For those interested, Firewatch is coming to the Switch this Spring. No exact date yet but can't be too far off.

http://www.firewatchgame.com/switch/

Fantastic news as it's a great experience with a superb soundtrack. It's more of a narrative experience so those wanting something gameplay heavy may not be interested but I can't recommend it enough if you're open to more narrative driven games.

• Thanks 1

Great news, great game, even if the ending was a little bit of a let down. Definitely worth it though, beautiful visuals and great voice acting.

Not a game I really expected to come to Switch but good to see the system continue to get high profile indie games. 

I saw that on the eShop earlier, I never got round to buying it on Wii U so might well give it a go on the Switch. 

The announcement of Firewatch has got me hoping that a Life Is Strange port is on the way.

Iconoclasts is coming to Switch later this year.

content-4-35444-iconoclasts.jpg

With extra content too.

:peace:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There’s no Switch logo on that release date is there. Looks good, was looking at this a while back. But the procedurally generated worlds are a big turn off for me. 

From the description to the video:

Moonlighter is an Action RPG with rogue-lite elements following the everyday routines of Will, an adventurous shopkeeper that dreams of becoming a hero. Game launches to PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 on May 29th, 2018 for $19.99 USD in digital and equivalent in other currencies! Nintendo Switch version is coming in the future as well!

So it'll probably be delayed on Switch. Shame.

Tried a few games at EGX Rezzed today.

Moonlighter - looked gorgeous but I had a real problem with combat. The sword animation was so long you really had to time your attacks, which is fine. What isn't fine is attacking lunges you straight into enemies, which bugged me. Movement wasn't particularly smooth either. Maybe I'm just used to Nintendo top down games controlling so well.

Flipping Death - absolutely gorgeous game with great humour. Had me chuckling quite a few times. Fun to play, sold me on it, though movement is a bit tough to get to grips with

Dead Cells - fantastic. Fast paced action, controls really well and nice visuals. Terrible name though.

Kingdom Two Crowns - Only played a few minutes of this but didn't grab me at all, seemed very limited

Planet Alpha - beautiful but a little boring, completely flipped my opinion on it from the trailer. Fun mechanic of changing the time of day to alter the landscape, but it isn't used anywhere near enough, at least in the level I played.

Couple of non Switch-bound games...

Below - after years and years (and years) of waiting for this game, I thought it lived up to my personal hype. Great atmosphere. Xbox only I believe.

The Swords of Ditto - hopefully will be on Switch at a later date now that it supports Game Maker games. Anyway, one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen. Played well. Not sure I'm too keen on the roguelike elements, but hopefully it works in the full game. Another game where the sword swipe didn't feel very satisfying at all, long animation doesn't make for particularly satisfying combat. Great special weapons though, the yoyo is fun to use.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Thanks 3

On 14/02/2018 at 11:14 AM, Julius Caesar said:

Mulaka launches on Nintendo Switch on March 1st, with a file size of 3.8GB, costing £15.99.

It also has a pretty good-looking icon.

I know this is several pages back (not checked this thread in a while) but every time I see the name of this game it takes me a moment to realise it's not malaka. Kind of wish it was. 

I finished Fe last week. I didn't really enjoy it as much as I hoped I would. While it was atmospheric and interesting, the gameplay just wasn't really that good. The environments were too uniform and didn't make you want to explore to find secrets and crystals, and the crystals themselves are largely obsolete. The controls were a bit off but it was only a problem when trying to jump from a tree to another tree. The game took me 4.5 hours to complete. All in all I'm glad that I didn't pay full price for it but got it for half the price they're asking.

Other than that I'm playing Enter the Gungeon. I suck at it but finally had a good run and got to chamber 4 the other day. I'm starting to enjoy it more as well but I still wish there was an "easy" mode where there were perhaps half or 3/4th the bullets as normal. That would help a lot. 

3 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Other than that I'm playing Enter the Gungeon. I suck at it but finally had a good run and got to chamber 4 the other day. I'm starting to enjoy it more as well but I still wish there was an "easy" mode where there were perhaps half or 3/4th the bullets as normal. That would help a lot. 

I got this a while ago because it was dirt cheap on the Russian store. Think I paid about £2.50 for it, an absolute bargain. It's easily one of my favourite indie titles on the Switch. I've also only managed to get to the 4th chamber, but there are a wealth of secrets to find and shortcuts to unlock which makes a play through easier. I've upgraded the lift so I can start from the 3rd floor and have a choice of 3 new weapons from the start. Never been interested in rouge-like games before, but this is one I've kept coming back to.

4 hours ago, MindFreak said:

I finished Fe last week. I didn't really enjoy it as much as I hoped I would. While it was atmospheric and interesting, the gameplay just wasn't really that good. The environments were too uniform and didn't make you want to explore to find secrets and crystals, and the crystals themselves are largely obsolete. The controls were a bit off but it was only a problem when trying to jump from a tree to another tree. The game took me 4.5 hours to complete. All in all I'm glad that I didn't pay full price for it but got it for half the price they're asking.

24 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

I got this a while ago because it was dirt cheap on the Russian store. Think I paid about £2.50 for it, an absolute bargain. It's easily one of my favourite indie titles on the Switch. I've also only managed to get to the 4th chamber, but there are a wealth of secrets to find and shortcuts to unlock which makes a play through easier. I've upgraded the lift so I can start from the 3rd floor and have a choice of 3 new weapons from the start. Never been interested in rouge-like games before, but this is one I've kept coming back to.

I've been so lucky with my purchases, and reviews, on Switch.  There are some blinders in the eShop, but Enter the Gungeon also tops that list of Indies for me, too.  Put in over 25 hours, and still want more.  It's the type of game to just give you enough incentive, with unlocks, etc., but not too frequent to wear them all out too quickly.  The controls are spot on, are I've never died and blamed the game, it's always down to a lack of skill on my behalf.  Best twin-stick shooter I've played since Geometry Wars on the DS.

Edited by londragon
Bad spelling
  • Like 1