N-Europe

Would You Buy Mobile Nintendo Games?

Goron_3

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they can, actually. £30 - compared to other entertainment - represents great value; cinema £10 per two hours, same for DVD, £10 for CD lasting 60 minutes. £30 for a game which lasts 10 hours or more is great value. Smartphone gaming is disposable, throwaway content at best, disgusting wallet leaching at worst. I think people will see that in due course.

Nintendo just need to reinforce what you get for your £30; all main manufacturers do - use language like pay-per-play games, micro-gaming, disposable content and create a real division between smartphone gaming and video gaming.

Who's still buying CDs for £10 these days? Cinema isn't just time either, it's a bit of an experience and has an arguable bit of social thrown in(I'm going to the cinema tonight AND tomorrow to see the same film at the same time but it's with different people). DVDs/films people often watch with other people(or I do, at least). Games? Well, with Nintendo being my console of choice I obviously don't get to play much with others. £30 is still something I struggle to get on board with(not including cost of the console), and whilst I don't buy/play mobile games, having them at £1-£10 a pop represents far greater value to risk for me. I resultantly buy a lot more of steam/pc downloads due to the lower price point. Ironically I don't even then play half of them(though same can be said of my wii u games too).

This thread makes me giddy with joy at the inevitability of Nintendo making a mini game for mobiles, giving the die hards a heart attack.

Wait, what am I saying? The moment Nintendo do it, it'll suddenly become an unquestionably good idea!

But seriously, who honestly wouldn't mind some Wario Ware on their phone?

I went up to the Game Space a few months back when Loading were relocating there and it was a night of devs showing off multiplayer games - one of which was this excellent little two player iPad title called Mucho Party(I believe now released, not sure of price - dev site here http://www.globz.net/). It reminded me very much of WarioWare, and made me rethink mobile/tablet games a little more than my previously skeptical view of them.

Would I buy Mobile Nintendo games? Depends on the game, depends on the price. I'm certainly more likely to buy it than most other mobile games, due to the fact it's Nintendo and I know what they and Mario are about. It's nice to have something to do whilst I'm on the throne.

Edited by Rummy

If I had a good enough phone, I'd give at least one Nintendo mobile game a go. Who wouldn't?

Stuff like the Pokewalker or StreetPass Plaza would be ideal. StreetPass could live up to its full potential instead of Nintendo needing to make hotspots for fake hits everywhere.

This thread makes me giddy with joy at the inevitability of Nintendo making a mini game for mobiles, giving the die hards a heart attack.

Wait, what am I saying? The moment Nintendo do it, it'll suddenly become an unquestionably good idea!

But seriously, who honestly wouldn't mind some Wario Ware on their phone?

Exactly! Wario Ware is the perfect example.

People just instantly think of the wrong games, or the controls potentially being awful, but there are so many games that have the potential to work.

Exactly! Wario Ware is the perfect example.

People just instantly think of the wrong games, or the controls potentially being awful, but there are so many games that have the potential to work.

Yeah, noticed that. And also focusing on examples of in game purchases as a method of slating mobile gaming, despite the fact that games don't have to have them.

StreetPass could live up to its full potential instead of Nintendo needing to make hotspots for fake hits everywhere.

It's a perfect fit. A StreetPass app.

What about an eShop app?

Or a Mii Maker app?

This is software Nintendo could've put out for free. Use it as a marketing tool.

It's a perfect fit. A StreetPass app.

What about an eShop app?

Or a Mii Maker app?

This is software Nintendo could've put out for free. Use it as a marketing tool.

I haven't got a single streetpass with my 3DS because I never take it out.

I haven't got a single streetpass with my 3DS because I never take it out.

Well, I took it with me for two months (and I've frequented 3 towns during that time) and got two StreetPasses. :indeed:

Just imagine Nintendo put out the App when the 3DS was released. Download, use it...

TpJPWkB.jpg

If I had a good enough phone, I'd give at least one Nintendo mobile game a go. Who wouldn't?

Stuff like the Pokewalker or StreetPass Plaza would be ideal. StreetPass could live up to its full potential instead of Nintendo needing to make hotspots for fake hits everywhere.

A StreetPass App sounds like a great idea! Not everyone takes their 3DS with them everywhere, but the vast majority will have their phone with them. Such a good idea.

eShop should definitely have an App. It would be cool if there were more regular promotions, it would encourage people to check there daily. A WiiU App in general where you can see who is online right there and then and what people have been playing that day. I think there's a MiiVerse App already? What does that do?

You know, I'm starting to wonder if, as gamers, we're actually holding the mobile phone gaming industry back thanks to the widely regarded, and not exactly true in all circumstances, belief that buttons are the must of any game. Of course, buttons are necessary in games that require precise controls, or the need to facilitate 'twitch' gaming, heck, most people raised on PC games think buttons just don't cut it, and that we need keyboards and mice for the biggest genre today, first person shooters.

I also disagree with the idea that phone games would be a lot better on a dedicated handheld gaming device that has physical buttons. Ingress doesn't need buttons, Androgochi/Digimon Unlimited doesn't need buttons and neither does PSO2es. But let's take a look at that last one, as it's the game that's probably the easiest to use as an example in the context we're all speaking about. PSO2es is the Android (And now iOS) version of Phantasy Star Online 2, free to play and has microtransactions. Now, according to most people here, this must mean a huge detriment to the quality of the game (and, to some extremists, devaluing the core game), but this is not true. PSO2es is not PSO2. It's online, allows you to use your same character but is a unique game made with the strengths of the mobile platform to create something fun and addictive that interacts with the base game. It never tried to be PSO2, at all.

Now, there's Ingress. A game which realistically, could have also been done by the Vita, but would not have logistically been as accessibly due to the fact smart phones have a much more friendly form factor for pockets. The game relies on GPS and social coordination to hack and capture points in the real world, and to link those together in a triangle over densely populated areas so that the population can be added to the score of whichever faction you play as. Not a console game. Not a dedicated gaming handheld game. Offers something that the dedicated handhelds can't offer.

And there are people across the internet who think that Nintendo can't afford to create a small team to focus on creating light games for mobile that capitalise on their strengths and technology not available on their own platforms, as a means to keep Nintendo in the mnds of those who see no desire to spend money on a dedicated platform? Not even ports of stupidly old Pokemon versions like FR/LG, that don't need buttons at all, to sell for a fiver or so that'll sell like gang busters to people who aren't interested in buying handhelds any more? To bring back Brain Training, Picross, even Wii Fit back into the mainstream by making portions of them available for a pittance, or even free and plastered with their own advertising? Like come on, it's not like it would take much development, these games all ready exist! And it'll give that much needed insurance for Nintendo that, even if the worst comes to the worst and the world does go completely mobile like we all fear, that they'll have an established base of operations there. Adopt early, or watch the opposition (and copycats) take your ground away from you.

But no, mobile is just CANCEROUS. No ifs, no buts, IT WILL RUIN NINTENDO. Get the fuck out.

and that IS true. I'm not trying to say that all mobile games are garbage or that you CAN'T make a good game on smartphones, but I stick by my point that every single game ever released for a smartphone would be a better experience on a different platform (not does the lack of discoverability for the good games do them any justice either). These phones are absolutely Jack-of-All-Trades and no game is made better by virtue of being released on one. Even games that are specifically designed for them would be done better justice elsewhere and so are not congurant to quality game design. Good games on smartphones are made in spite of the platform that they are released on
While I get where you're coming from, I do also think there are a few examples where that might not necessarily be the case. :hmm:

I mean although something like Fruit Ninja would definitely feel better if played with a stylus, simultaneous swipes would no longer be possible which is an integral part of the gameplay.

Better examples would be Smash Hit and School Idol Festival. Those games use multi-touch in way that I don't think could transition to a traditional control scheme. :blank: Not sure if you've played either of those, but in Smash Hit:

CYOMo8W.jpg?1

you can shoot up to 4 balls simultaneously wherever you touch the screen. This becomes a key part of the gameplay too, as very often targets will be split, and the on-rails nature of the game requires you to shoot multiple targets all at the same time.

And in School Idol Festival:

cP7Shnd.jpg?1

there are 9 circles on screen that you need to tap in time with the music. Standard rhythm game stuff at first, but higher difficulty levels see you needing to hit 2 at once plus some that need to be held down for a certain duration. The game then mixes all of these input styles together, so you'll sometimes need to be holding down 1 while tapping multiple other circles! :o The pace the game runs at would make it impossible with any traditional controller.

But having said that... some nutter made this: :heh:

NPthWSF.jpg

and while I bet playing the game with that would be nice, it is somewhat OTT. :D

I'd be interested to see if you think there's any way those particular games could work better on a different platform though, other than building custom controllers of course. :hehe:

: peace:

But no, mobile is just CANCEROUS.

As it stands now, it's very disorganized, and risky to invest in. Not to say they don't have potential as a platform, but it's still quite small. Either time-waster games that don't require much precision, or turn-based games.

Also, if most phones could come with styluses, that would be peachy, give more versatility to the whole platform.

Also, I don't buy the idea that all Nintendo needs to get started is a 5-man team. That sounds like a severe underestimation of any problem, as they aren't just coding and developing a small game, they're investing in a market that's very unfamiliar for them. If online gaming is already somewhat alien for them, imagine smartphone usage.

Essentially, "Let's use a small team 'cuz it doesn't require much resources" pretty much leads to half-assed efforts. Doing something well, and making it good, is not exactly something that can be whipped up on a whim, like many here are implying.

I'm guessing that was the mentality that lead to games like Megaman X iOS. Or the subpar iOS port of the Ace Attorney series.

While I get where you're coming from, I do also think there are a few examples where that might not necessarily be the case. :hmm:

I mean although something like Fruit Ninja would definitely feel better if played with a stylus, simultaneous swipes would no longer be possible which is an integral part of the gameplay.

Maybe now he'll listen if it's you. :p

You're right, you simply couldn't do well in it without multitouch. That's why you can definitely say it works better on a mobile, or better yet a tablet (with a larger screen). I also don't think a stylus would make it better, since the fruits are large and meant for finger swiping. You also end up using multiple fingers during frenzy that would totally exclude the chance to use styluses.

As for other examples, yeah there's loads. This is why I disagree that every game would work better on a device with buttons.

As it stands now, it's very disorganized, and risky to invest in. Not to say they don't have potential as a platform, but it's still quite small. Either time-waster games that don't require much precision, or turn-based games.

Also, if most phones could come with styluses, that would be peachy, give more versatility to the whole platform.

I have a stylus. I don't bother with it because it's pretty pointless, as most games are meant to work better with the finger than with a stylus. The stylus is different to a DS stylus due to the different kind of screens mobile devices have.

Essentially, "Let's use a small team 'cuz it doesn't require much resources" pretty much leads to half-assed efforts. Doing something well, and making it good, is not exactly something that can be whipped up on a whim, like many here are implying.

I'm guessing that was the mentality that lead to games like Megaman X iOS. Or the subpar iOS port of the Ace Attorney series.

You know it doesn't have to be all Nintendo's own team, right? In fact, I'm not even sure why it would be, because they probably don't have much experience making apps. There's no reason why they couldn't outsource it while putting someone in the company in charge of QC. App development is a heck of a lot less costly than console game development, making something like a Wario Ware or Streetpass app would surely be a relatively low cost process.

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

Better examples would be Smash Hit and School Idol Festival. Those games use multi-touch in way that I don't think could transition to a traditional control scheme. :blank: Not sure if you've played either of those, but in Smash Hit:

CYOMo8W.jpg?1

you can shoot up to 4 balls simultaneously wherever you touch the screen. This becomes a key part of the gameplay too, as very often targets will be split, and the on-rails nature of the game requires you to shoot multiple targets all at the same time.

And in School Idol Festival:

cP7Shnd.jpg?1

there are 9 circles on screen that you need to tap in time with the music. Standard rhythm game stuff at first, but higher difficulty levels see you needing to hit 2 at once plus some that need to be held down for a certain duration. The game then mixes all of these input styles together, so you'll sometimes need to be holding down 1 while tapping multiple other circles! :o The pace the game runs at would make it impossible with any traditional controller.

But having said that... some nutter made this: :heh:

NPthWSF.jpg

and while I bet playing the game with that would be nice, it is somewhat OTT. :D

I'd be interested to see if you think there's any way those particular games could work better on a different platform though, other than building custom controllers of course. :hehe:

Yeah, I know School Idol Festival (in fact, you were the one that introduced me to it ;) )

Even ignoring the fact that the Vita has a capacitive touch screen and assuming that you were making the game for Wii U or 3DS, you could design around that by having an invisible touch target actually being situated in-between the two icons that you are supposed to touch; cause with a resistive screen, when two parts of the screen are touched simultaneously, the screen registers it as a touch directly in the middle of the two points that have been pressed down (this trick is actually used by a fair few DS/3DS games to simulate multitouch - like the Taiko Drum Master games and Pokemon Black & White's feeling check - I'm sure you've probably seen it used in a good few Wario Ware DIY microgames too ;))

As for Smash Hit... You got me there. You couldn't release it on the 3DS or Wii U without redesigning the game (I'd design around it by adding a small delay before the marbles are shot out for when you tap multiple times in a short amount of time - but I admit that this does change the intended gameplay design); you could release it as-is for the Vita mind you - but I also admit that it wouldn't really benefit from the shift either... so...

Well done! : peace: (thanks for the suggestion BTW, game is good fun - and free of shitty F2P/IAP crap too - just a one time purchase of the premium version. Cheers! :D )

Edited by Dcubed

eShop should definitely have an App. It would be cool if there were more regular promotions, it would encourage people to check there daily. A WiiU App in general where you can see who is online right there and then and what people have been playing that day. I think there's a MiiVerse App already? What does that do?

Definitely agree on the eShop app. Imagine checking the daily deal on your phone, paying to download it there and then, and your wii u knowing and then downloading the game ready for you to play when you get in from work/life/school/out of bed.

I think the miiverse app just lets you view/browse miiverse on your phone.

I have a stylus. I don't bother with it because it's pretty pointless, as most games are meant to work better with the finger than with a stylus. The stylus is different to a DS stylus due to the different kind of screens mobile devices have.

Well yeah, but if phones came with styluses, there would be more games geared towards it, like Kirby Paintbrush, or EBA-style rhythm games. That was what I was getting at.

Well yeah, but if phones came with styluses, there would be more games geared towards it, like Kirby Paintbrush, or EBA-style rhythm games. That was what I was getting at.

The kind of screens that phones have means the stylus you use is sort of rubber ended, which basically feels crappy to use. Not sure how they could have the DS style screen while also letting you use the phone with fingers well.

Not sure how they could have the DS style screen while also letting you use the phone with fingers well.

It has already been done:

img_h.png

It's essentially a Wacom pen that works in combination with the phone.

Conversation seems to be 'put games on iOS, Android' but no one is suggesting Nintendo create their own smartphone/tablet platform; Amazon have had great success with their Android based Kindle tablet and I see no reason why Nintendo couldn't use Android in the same way and create their own ecosystem within the AOSP; keep things really simple, games and a range of apps, communication (SMS/IM, voice calls). I don't think anyone wants 1,000,000 apps on a Nintendo App Store. If Motorola can build a great phone for £100 so can Nintendo!

Personally, I'd rather Nintendo do that then spit out ports over iOS, (Google) Android or whatever. It also seems the more 'Nintendo' thing to do.

Conversation seems to be 'put games on iOS, Android' but no one is suggesting Nintendo create their own smartphone/tablet platform; Amazon have had great success with their Android based Kindle tablet and I see no reason why Nintendo couldn't use Android in the same way and create their own ecosystem within the AOSP; keep things really simple, games and a range of apps, communication (SMS/IM, voice calls). I don't think anyone wants 1,000,000 apps on a Nintendo App Store. If Motorola can build a great phone for £100 so can Nintendo!

Personally, I'd rather Nintendo do that then spit out ports over iOS, (Google) Android or whatever. It also seems the more 'Nintendo' thing to do.

This sounds like a great idea on paper. So, it'll never happen. :D

Given that Nintendo got a lot of stick from fans about the voice-chat fiasco in Mario Kart, given how far behind the competition they are with basic features and the fact that we're still unsure about online options in Hyrule Warriors and Splatoon, I really don't think it's a great idea having a new piece of hardware where a large focus is on communication and the ability to contact others. It's one huge area where Nintendo are noticeably poor and I don't think they're adept enough to succeed in this area.

Nintendo could make it work. But, it can equally fail in such a dramatic way.

The Kindle Fire tablets were successful because they have major advertising on the front page of one of the world's biggest online stores. If it wasn't for that, they would have utterly failed due to being limited and average devices.

Well, well...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-16-the-pokemon-trading-card-game-is-coming-to-ipad

The Pokémon Trading Card Game is coming to iPad later this year.

The digital version of the oldschool physical card game has been available online for some time, but the upcoming iPad version made its debut at the Pokémon World Championship this weekend where Pokémon enthusiast Josh Wittenkeller snapped a picture of it on Twitter.

This marks The Pokémon Company's first full game on an iOS device. Previously, the brand had only featured non-gaming apps on the platform.

A Pokémon Company representative has since confirmed to Kotaku that the iPad trading card game is slated for a 2014 release.

TCG iOS sounds infinity better suited than some wobbly controlling touch screen Mario port.

Standalone app games that feed on the popularity of big hitters like Pokemon are ideal money makers for Nintendo.

Does this count as Nintendo though? Are The Pokemon Company a separate business entirely these days?

3DS owners: PKMNTCG3DSWHENNNNN?

TCG iOS sounds infinity better suited than some wobbly controlling touch screen Mario port.

Standalone app games that feed on the popularity of big hitters like Pokemon are ideal money makers for Nintendo.

Does this count as Nintendo though? Are The Pokemon Company a separate business entirely these days?

3DS owners: PKMNTCG3DSWHENNNNN?

Joe posted something about the ownership on Gaf. I'll copy and paste it, but without the arrogant introduction.

So, contrary to belief, Pokémon is not owned solely by Nintendo. The ownership is split 34/33/33 between Game Freak, Creatures Inc. and Nintendo respectively. In addition to this, The Pokémon Company was set up in 2000 to deal with the non-game parts of the franchise (and they now deal with spin-off title greenlighting, too). This company is owned by all three as well.

Game Freak & Creatures Inc. are all separate companies, with really close ties to Nintendo. They are the epitome of what is known as second party.

Now, Game Freak develops the main games and dictate the direction of the franchise.

Creatures Inc. does various spin-off titles, but also completely create and manage the Trading Card Game.

Nintendo provides development aid and publishes all titles.

The Pokémon Company decides merchandise licensing, spin-off title greenlighting and marketing of the franchise outside of the games. That's where this comes in.

Outside of Japan, the Trading Card Game is handled by The Pokémon Company International, not Nintendo of America, and the Pokémon TCG Online game was created in 2011 in order to further reach of the TCG. It was developed by some small companies in the west and only exists in the west. Japan doesn't have it.

As has been said, the game has been under the "beta" moniker for 3 years now, and continues to be. In addition to that, it also relies on purchasing of the TCG in order to gain content in the game. This is likely a big part of why it would never exist on a Nintendo platform as that's sort of against Nintendo's policies.

Also, this is not the first Pokémon related app that has cropped up on smartphones. Pokédex for iOS came out in 2012, and there's a Pokémon TV app. In Japan, there's also Pokémon Smile School & PokéTouch, educational apps that are licensed out to educational establishments.