Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Iwata Skipping E3 Due to Health Reasons.

Hero-of-Time

From Polygon.

The president of Nintendo won't be in attendance at E3 next week on the advice of his physician, a Nintendo representative confirmed to Polygon today.

Nintendo of America did not specify why Iwata, 54, was advised not to travel overseas in the immediate future, but said "it is business as usual for Mr. Iwata, and he continues his normal duties as president of Nintendo Co., Ltd. while he remains in Japan."

"As always, he will be actively involved in all of Nintendo's activities at the show," a Nintendo representative said.

I hope the guy is alright and it's not too serious.

As the "event" is digital anyway, I see little reason for him to be present, if he's ill even more so. Of course, this is Polygon - are there any reliable sources for this information?
Last year they had a digital event and yet Reggie and Iwata were there right? To talk to people behind closed doors and present certain things during the week.

Someone on GAF pointed something out.

Look at the MarioKart Direct. Something is up with his left eye and doctors advise not to air travel if you have some eye issues, so that could be it.

But we shouldn't speculate.

Edited by Serebii

Last year they had a digital event and yet Reggie and Iwata were there right? To talk to people behind closed doors and present certain things during the week.

Yes, I was talking from a consumer point of view, and assuming he could participate with pre-recorded segments/live from Japan.

I hadn't really considered it from a business point of view, so yeah I see now it's a bit more significant!

Either way, hopefully for him personally he'll recover quickly whatever the cause.

Seriously: Maybe this is why they are focusing on QoL too?

The masters are all getting older. They've had some innings though. Most artists drop the ball. Even The Beatles fell out and lost it...Nintendo operate like a machine!

Seriously: Maybe this is why they are focusing on QoL too?

The masters are all getting older. They've had some innings though. Most artists drop the ball. Even The Beatles fell out and lost it...Nintendo operate like a machine!

Erm, the Beatles never lost it. Even their last album was genius :)

Erm, the Beatles never lost it. Even their last album was genius :)

Of course The Beatles never lost it. You have to have something in the first place in order to lose it. :heh:

Referring to Iwata, I'm sure he'll be fine. Quality Of Life indeed.

Pretty sure he's always had that. :blank:

Just hope it's nothing serious. :(

His eye has been funny for ages now.

Everytime I see him on a Nintendo Direct it always bugs me and takes me a while to focus elsewhere. I always think of this scene from Wayne's World 2.

Sorry if the eye comment is harsh. It pretty much comes up in conversation between the girlfriend and me every time he hosts a Direct. There's something a bit strange there and it could definitely be linked to this situation. Hopefully it's nothing serious, I really like Iwata.

Man... if he shows up with an eyepatch in the next Direct he might just replace Reggie as the top requested Nintendo staffer to show up in Smash Bros.

Man... if he shows up with an eyepatch in the next Direct he might just replace Reggie as the top requested Nintendo staffer to show up in Smash Bros.

Maybe he could have a reign of tyranny like the Governor in The Walking Dead. Fuck, Iwata giving us his edgier side as he aims to bring Nintendo back to the top.

In all seriousness, I hope the guy is ok and wish him all the best.