Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Recommend me some Gamecube games

Ealdst

There's been a lot of talk about the Gamecube recently around here and it has made me go back to playing mine, and remember how great the console is. The only problem is I was never able to amass as much of a collection as I'd have liked during its lifetime so I'm looking at filling in some of the gaps, here's my collection so far:

1080: Avalanche

Beyond Good and Evil

Eternal Darkness

F-Zero GX

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition

Luigi's Mansion

Mario Kart: Double Dash

Mario Party 4

Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Pikmin

P.N.03

Prince of Persia The Sands of Time

Prince of Persia Warrior Within

Prince of Persia The Two Thrones

Second Sight

Sonic Mega Collection

Soul Calibur 2

Starfox Adventures

Star Wars Rogue Leader

Star Wars Rebel Strike

Super Mario Sunshine

Wave Race: Blue Storm

WWE Day of Reckoning

Now given this list I know the first thing most people will suggest is Super Smash Bros Melee, so no need to suggest it! Also I have Pikmin 2 and Twilight Princess on Wii so not looking to pick those up again, but I am very interested to hear what else everyone thinks I should add to have as close to the definitive Gamecube collection as possible!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baten Kaitos

Battalion Wars

Burnout

Burnout 2: Point of Impact

Chibi Robo

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

Killer 7

Mario Party 4

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

Pikmin 2 (worth owning twice)

Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1&2

Phantasy Star Online C.A.R.D Revolution

Resident Evil 4

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle

Sonic Heeeeeeeroooooes!

Tales of Symphonia

Wario World

Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2 are incredible! Serious must have titles!

Billy Hatcher is also a really fun and inventive platformer, you'll just have to look last the slightly shoddy engine (this was sonic team 2000's so go figure :p)

And SUPER MONKEY BALL! And if you've played a modern monkey ball, don't let it put you off, the original two on GameCube are fantastic, every game since doesn't come close.

The same applies to Viewtiful Joe actually, it's a dire shame that so many franchises got destroyed after the GameCube era!

Soul Calibur 2

Great fighter. Surprisingly extensive single-player mode, gorgeous graphics and you can fight as Link!

Beach Spikers

A beach volleyball game that's not about overly curvy women. It's actually a really good multiplayer game. Whenever me and mates play old games, I bring this up, they go like "what the hell is this". They give it a try, then they go "just one more round".

If the summer would be officially sponsored by a game, this would be it. Or Crazy Taxi. Or nigh on any Sega game from this era.

For those who loved Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, I suggest:

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin

Actually a stealth game, but gunplay is fairly similar and the levels are even more open. Kinda like a GE 2.0. One of my all-time favorite shooters, even though you're not supposed to play it like one.

Timesplitters 2 & Timesplitters Future Perfect

Can't decide which is better. The single player is kind of rubbish in both these games, unfortunately they were early adopters of the stupid corridor-level design, which kills all replayability. But the multiplayer is magnificent. Huge variety in guns, bots, insane modes and a friggin' level editor!

I won't repeat what has already been mentioned. Some of those are absolute must haves. Here are some others people have missed:

Ikaruga

Sphinx and The Cursed Mummy

REmake (All Resident Evil games)

Splinter Cell games

Tomb Raider: Legend

Super Monkey Ball 2

Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance

Spiderman 2

007 Everything Or Nothing

Zelda: Four Swords Adventures

XIII

True Crime: Streets Of L.A

SSX 3

Bomberman Generations

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

Metal Arms: Glitch In The System

Cheers for this thread.

I've actually also started to sort of flesh out my miniscule GameCube collection, so the recommendations on here will surely help.

I'd like to suggest:

1274193399-00.jpg

_-Beyond-Good-Evil-GameCube-_.jpg

and if you want to have your mind fucked and be able to look up loads of theories once you've finished it, you have got to get:

_-Killer-7-GameCube-_.jpg

I think you're all set now.

Super Smash Bros Melee

Metroid Prime

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Resident Evil 4

Animal Crossing

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Super Mario Sunshine

Viewtiful Joe

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle

I am not committing to this list, since it's been a long time since I've even touched a GameCube.

Than someone should tell him..

He played the wrong version.

;)

Seriously though.. I´l always consider Twilight princess a Gamecube game. It was (supposed to be) its swansong after all.

I had considered buying the 'cube version just for collection, but at the moment I just don't have the money to be spending on games I already have, especially when it tends to sell for around £50 on ebay :(

I mentioned it earlier but I want to highlight a real gem on Gamecube, Metal Arms: Glitch In The System. I don't know if many of ye have played it, I doubt it. It's absolutely brilliant and if you don't like it then you don't like gaming. It crosses so many genres and it's hilarious. Get on Ebay and hunt down a copy now.

capa_gamecube_%255Bwww.gamecover.com.br%255D0001.jpg

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2003/11/07/metal-arms-glitch-in-the-system

THE VERDICT

Metal Arms has unfortunately not received the attention it deserves of gamers. But if you're reading this review still, take notice because this is a surprisingly well-made action-shooter with a lot of heart. The game successfully merges a light-hearted storyline with some seriously intense combat, a good measure of strategy and a fun multiplayer mode. Oh, and the weapons in this title are downright awesome, especially the tether control device.

There are some notable drawbacks, yes. The control may be too loose for its own good and the game sometimes runs on the frustrating try-die-and-try-again design philosophy. But overall the experience is very entertaining and satisfying.

So with that in mind if you're looking for a smart, funny and unexpectedly deep action title with destruction and carnage at every corner, Metal Arms has got it in spades.

Recommended. 8.3/10

It's more like a 9 in my books and is recommended higher by readers of IGN. Same story on Matacritic, 8.3 from critic reviews and 9.3 from readers. It's got Homer Simpson's voice actor, need I say more?

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!