N-Europe

Christmas Songs

Iun

Fairytale of New York

....et tu, Brutes?!??

WOOT Fairytale of New York is my fav Christmas song ever :D

Also very partial to Driving Home For Christmas, "It Feels Like Christmas" from Muppets Christmas Carole (fav Xmas Film :D) and "Christmas Tree" by Dustin the Turkey (you'll likely never have heard of that if you aren't from Ireland.

Youtube Embeds FTW :D

I personally find most proper Christmas songs (as in the ones that sing about Christmas itself etc) are the worst ones. :heh:

I much prefer songs that remind me of Christmas - whether it be songs that were Christmas number 1's when I was a kid growing up, or just songs that have the christmassy feel to them!

A lot of the Spice Girls songs remind me of Christmas and I love how they always get played on the music channels during the festive season!

In terms of the 'proper' ones though - Rockin Around The Christmas Tree is a major fave. :santa:

• 2 weeks later...

Normally I don't accept subsitutes when it comes to Fairytale of New York.... but this version translated into Irish I'll give a pass and add to my mp3 Xmas folder :D

Don't know why they don't translate "Mountain Dew" or "Galway Bay" to Irish though... prolly to keep the rythm better I guess?

Just heard on the radio that Chvrches have done a cover of E17's Stay Another Day;

Certainly a different take on the xmas #1, and not necessarily xmassy at all, but worth a listen.

I certainly wish more bands tried to make a modern-day xmas song. Someone at work said that Wizzard get 800k a year in royalties for their hit (probably utterly untrue) but realistically the only recent xmas songs I can think of that are still re-played are The Darkness and Mariah Carey for the last 20 years.

Someone at work said that Wizzard get 800k a year in royalties for their hit (probably utterly untrue)

Perhaps an exaggeration, but I wouldn't be surprised. Just imagine how many times it's played on the radio, in shop(ping center)s, on TV, on Christmas compilation CDs etc.

Also, I prefer the East 17 version. Great Christmas song.

Edited by MoogleViper
Automerged Doublepost