Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

When do you chuck out your fruit and veg?

Fierce_LiNk

Do you do it when it's just reached the sell-by date/use-by date or do you just wait for it to get mouldy?

We've got some strawberries in the fridge that went off on the 13th. They appear to be ok, but how can you be sure?

inB4 food poisoning.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Do you do it when it's just reached the sell-by date/use-by date or do you just wait for it to get mouldy?

We've got some strawberries in the fridge that went off on the 13th. They appear to be ok, but how can you be sure?

inB4 foot poisoning.

Out of date fruit can poison your feet? Holy crap!

Really you can tell by texture and consistency. If it feels normal, it's fine. If it's too soft, throw them out

Thank you guys! Jim never trusts me when I tell him it is still fine. =P

I always go based on how it looks and feels. The use by date is just there as an indication and usually they are being way too "safe" with it anyway. The only things I will be careful with are meat and eggs, but most other things seem to be fine.

Well in the UK we call it the 'best before', as in, it is best before this date, but afterwards is ok too.

I do the shopping for each meal every day, so rarely buy in bulk. That we we buy as much veg as we are going to eat and hopefully don't waste any.

How accurate can that date really be? You think because their computer spat out a date (required by law and probably rounded to the nearest 24 hour block relative to the number of customer complaints they receive) that the minute the clock strikes 12 that food is now bad for you?

If it smells OK and there's nothing growing on it that there shouldn't be, I eatses it.

With meat I go by smell/colour. With fruit and veg it's about texture and... honestly... appearance of mould. With Eggs... eggs are good to go for a long time!

A common mistake people make is storing many sorts of fruit and veg in the fridge rather than a dry cupboard. It's moisture that damages stock rather than temperature, and many fridges accumulate a lot of condensation.

Anything I buy that isn't sold in a fridge won'd be stored in a fridge. But then again, I don't care for a cold cider, so what do I know?

With meat I go by smell/colour. With fruit and veg it's about texture and... honestly... appearance of mould. With Eggs... eggs are good to go for a long time!

A common mistake people make is storing many sorts of fruit and veg in the fridge rather than a dry cupboard. It's moisture that damages stock rather than temperature, and many fridges accumulate a lot of condensation.

Anything I buy that isn't sold in a fridge won'd be stored in a fridge. But then again, I don't care for a cold cider, so what do I know?

Yeah I don't store most of my fruit and veg in the fridge. Only my salad stuff goes in there (usually baby spinach and rocket lettuce). Most other stuff is kept in a cupboard, like peppers, tomatoes etc. We don't put the eggs in the fridge either (which Jim didn't like until I showed him articles that said it doesn't matter). Only stuff that goes in the fridge are things that you buy refrigerated or that you need cold (like drinks). =)