NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

So what? I'm not entitled an opinion because you've heard it before? With all due respect, who made you Magistrate of Opinion? By that same logic, I can apply the same "Heard it already, therefore, shut up" approach to half of the posters here.

You already have. I was repeating your quote to me after I repeatedly mentioned my disappointment about the Shovel Knight DLC campaigns

ZDsSCM.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

Here we go again. Can we just accept that different opinions exist and BotW is an overhyped game? :p

• Haha 1

You already have. I was repeating your quote to me after I repeatedly mentioned my disappointment about the Shovel Knight DLC campaigns
ZDsSCM.jpg
Ah man, you got him there.

Interesting piece from Eurogamer about the second DLC.

...running through this quest, especially if you are already deep into the game or done with it, which you are almost bound to be, doesn't successfully plug you back into this matchless open-world. It becomes the one thing that Breath of the Wild had so remarkably managed to avoid, the classic curse of the open-world game: a checklist of coordinates to visit as you ping around the map with fast travel. The designers work to disguise this a little. The locations of the challenges aren't marked directly on your map but revealed in murals, which you then have to cross-reference with the map and mark yourself. But that's just transcription, not discovery.

@Hero-of-Time Would you agree with that?

I always thought that Nintendo would, since they got a lot of praise for it, improve even more on that with additional content and eventually with a proper sequel. Personally, I'd actually prefer what is described in the quote, but a lot of gamers don't. If Eurogamer is right, I really hope that Nintendo takes the criticism to heart so they don't disappoint gamers that enjoyed BotW.

I hope they ignore the criticism and give me a proper game next time :p

Nice video too that's worth a watch, explaining what they thought makes the game so special.

The Nintendo Power podcast interviewed Fujibayashi and one of the topics was the (lack of) dungeons...here's his thinking behind it: 

So in the past Zelda games, one dungeon was very, very long and because this game had a very wide field to explore and one of the themes we had was finding things, we were thinking about what the ratio is for finding Shrines while players are wandering around the field. And when we calculated that, we kind of ended up with 100 or more Shrines. And as for size, we thought about perhaps making long, big dungeons, but that would take long, and players would dedicate their time too long in the dungeons, so we thought perhaps one Shrine is maybe 10 minutes. We’re thinking play would be a good amount.

When we considered that each Shrine would take around 10 minutes, we thought maybe for a Zelda title, it wasn’t enough, it wasn’t meeting that dungeon feel for the game, so we thought maybe for this game, we could incorporate a big dungeon and perhaps one that moves or one that incorporates a gravity movement system and so we considered a big dungeon and that’s how we thought about the Divine Beasts. And so initially when we were thinking about the Divine Beasts, we thought about something that could be seen from afar, and maybe like a humanoid form, but then because these Champions were controlling Divine Beasts, we thought well maybe it would be interesting if the Divine Beasts themselves were a dungeon. And so then that met the requirement of a moving dungeon and also something that could be seen from afar. That’s how we kind of came up with the idea of the Divine Beasts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fully deserved Game of the Year. The game is a masterpiece. 

Recently started Horizon and its a dope game but I do miss being able to go wherever I please and to explore wherever I want. 

Playing Horizon emphasizes to me just how much of a different open world game BotW is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure how to embed videos or tweets. So hope this works...

So this happened to me earlier - bear in mind I’d already been trying for a few minutes :D

Edited by Dog-amoto
  • Haha 10
  • Sad 1

I'm ready for my 2nd play through, this time on Switch and with amiibo (Majora's Mask Link is all I need :love:). The plan is to finish all side quests, get all the armor pieces, upgrade them fully and complete all shrines. Not sure if I'll go for the korok seeds seems like a huge task lol. 

I'm about to get the dlc in a minute, once I have it can I start the game on hard mode or is it unlocked once I beat the game?

Edit. Download / Update complete. You actually can start it on Master Mode. Let the games begin!

Edited by Nintendo Fan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Started on the Ballad of the champions DLC and so far enjoying it. Just done the first part on the Plateau it’s always fun when the game forces you to use your surroundings and a more stealthy approach. Shrines weren’t too hard just the one that gave me some real issues (let’s just say I hates spikes). Now back off into the rest of Hyrule to carry on with the quest. 

I've also just recently (finally) started on the Champions Ballad. I'm really enjoying it. Would I have liked and did I expect a new storyline, absolutely, but with expectations in check, I'm loving what we actually got. Just finished Mipha's sidequest.

Also, running around Hyrule for the first time in months is making me fall in love with the game all over again. Similar to Ocarina of Time, it's one of those games I wish I could experience for the first time again.

• Like 5

Once I’m done with Xenoblade, which will be a while yet (even though I’ve finished it), I’ll start the DLC... not started any of it as of yet!

Finished the Champions Ballad last night, loved it. The final boss and the divine beast generally are outstanding, easily the best the game has to offer. I was blown away by how inspired some of the puzzles were, in fact I don't think the divine beasts get enough credit. Such a clever idea, so well executed. The shrines were all enjoyable, I even enjoyed the motion control ones.

Oh and the memories were the icing on the cake. Long and full of character.

• Like 3

Booted this up for the first time in months as a couple of my colleagues are going through it, as I never actually finished it off..

I'm about 70/80-odd shrines in - remembering why I moved on from it now. I'm finding that I'm at the point where I'm doing a lot of aimless wandering at the moment; but as I've found a lot of the shrines there's often very little reward. The first 40-odd hours of the game were amazing, but I'm finding it a bit unrewarding and even frustrating when I spend half an hour looking for shrines or cool stuff on the map, but just find the same old enemies and terrain that I vaguely recognise..

Not a criticism of the game really as I really did think the majority of my playtime was fantastic, but is there a technique for finding missing shrines beyond scouring every corner of the map for controller vibrations?

I also feel like I'm barely scratching the surface of the game in some regards (like, no idea what the massive flying chinese dragon things are for instance) but slightly at a loss of how to progress without feeling the hours ebb away..

51 minutes ago, dan-likes-trees said:

Booted this up for the first time in months as a couple of my colleagues are going through it, as I never actually finished it off..

I'm about 70/80-odd shrines in - remembering why I moved on from it now. I'm finding that I'm at the point where I'm doing a lot of aimless wandering at the moment; but as I've found a lot of the shrines there's often very little reward. The first 40-odd hours of the game were amazing, but I'm finding it a bit unrewarding and even frustrating when I spend half an hour looking for shrines or cool stuff on the map, but just find the same old enemies and terrain that I vaguely recognise..

Not a criticism of the game really as I really did think the majority of my playtime was fantastic, but is there a technique for finding missing shrines beyond scouring every corner of the map for controller vibrations?

I also feel like I'm barely scratching the surface of the game in some regards (like, no idea what the massive flying chinese dragon things are for instance) but slightly at a loss of how to progress without feeling the hours ebb away..

I get what you mean, but for me I only got that feeling after finding all those shrines. And I found them all simply because I enjoyed exploring and experimenting on its own, and if you don't know what those dragons are, you simply haven't done enough of that. :p One of them has a little quest and story to it, but other than that, they're not super important (if you're not going for 100% or something like that). You can get some items from them to upgrade your gear (edit: oh and some items are needed for certain quests).. And they look cool flying through the air.

Edited by Sméagol

51 minutes ago, dan-likes-trees said:

Did you unlock the whole map at the beginning? I could understand your frustrations if you did. I took it one section at a time, unlocking each tower as I went, felt like an epic journey and kept things fresh for 120+ hours.

So having recently gotten my hands on a Switch and exploring the wonderful world of Hyrule destroyed by Calamity Ganon 100 years ago, I am now at the first horse stable heading towards Kakariko Village.

I am just amazed at how different it feels from previous big Zelda titles and the openness of it all really has me excited to come back home and dive right back into the wild. So much to sniff out, explore and collect, and discovering the various ways you can use items is really engaging and fun. 

The added difficulty also comes as a welcome departure from the older games. I can't really remember dying in Skyward Sword, and I've already died several times due to some miscalculations or just straight up thinking I can charge enemies bigger than myself with a rusty blade and hope for the best.

I'm looking forward to meeting new characters and acquiring new skills!

Just a question to my fellow Nyurpers: Any crucial things you guys think I might have missed on my way to that first horse stable? Perhaps tell me with a cryptic hint if so.

1 hour ago, Fused King said:

Just a question to my fellow Nyurpers: Any crucial things you guys think I might have missed on my way to that first horse stable? Perhaps tell me with a cryptic hint if so.

I don't think you can miss anything crucial. The game is made in a way that allows you to play it however you want. For example, the horse stable that you mentioned may have been something that others may not have come across because they decided to go a different route. The first time I went through the game my first objective was to fill in the map by going to each of the towers, whereas others went about clearing the map a section at a time. It all comes down to what your own personal in game objectives are.

35 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I don't think you can miss anything crucial. The game is made in a way that allows you to play it however you want. For example, the horse stable that you mentioned may have been something that others may not have come across because they decided to go a different route. The first time I went through the game my first objective was to fill in the map by going to each of the towers, whereas others went about clearing the map a section at a time. It all comes down to what your own personal in game objectives are.

Good point!

I guess that was a question from the perspective of older Zelda games, haha.