NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

Well, the first details of the game have been spilled.

Modernising the formula, not being alone while playing (anyones guess if it's co-op, NPC squadmates or both) and the ability to visit dungeons in any order you want. This reminds me a bit of Skyrim and Mass Effect. Which in my oppinion is a good thing.

I hope this will result in full voice acting (apart from Link, who should remain mute).

What are your thoughts?

I can't decide...

does the effort they're putting in to trying out Zelda HD on the Wind Waker engine suggest they might be considering a proper sequel to the Wind Waker?

... or is it basically, "those wanting to see this engine again... here have Wind Waker HD, as we won't be using this engine again anytime soon?"

I'd love a Zelda sequel using a beautifully animated/Disneyfied Wind Waker engine, or the Skyward Sword engine, over a gritty realistic looking Twilight Princess/New Xenoblade game look, but that's just me.

Exciting to hear they actually are going to mix things up this time around, having admitted in the Nintendo Direct the Wii didn't have the capability to realise their vision.

Maybe they'll draw inspiration from games like Shadow of the Colossus. Certainly sounds like they're going much more open world, in that you take tackle things in a more open order.

Mention of multiplayer/co-op was interesting/concerning.

Mention of multiplayer/co-op was interesting/concerning.

For me Zelda is a very personal experience; I do not want any online multiplayer implementation I just want to be totally lost by myself in Hyrule :hmm:

Yeah it made me wonder what they might be planning.

Something like Journey, where multiplayer is at all times an option running in the background?

A co-op element?

A party multiplayer element?

Or simply just Mii-verse integration.

Food for thought.

since the hints on multiplayer etc and them testin using WW i can only imagine we are getting an open world WW style four swords zelda

Yeah it made me wonder what they might be planning.

Something like Journey, where multiplayer is at all times an option running in the background?

A co-op element?

A party multiplayer element?

Or simply just Mii-verse integration.

Food for thought.

multiplayer co-op where one player control's a fairy and can constantly mash a "hey listen button"

Well they said they wanted to challenge the existing Zelda conventions - mainly

1) Playing dungeons in a certain order

2) Playing alone

For those who remember the original NES Zelda, it was a very much an open world title where you could go anywhere you wished and tackle the game in the order you wanted. Obviously it was much more difficult to attempt certain dungeons first, but you could.

I think the idea of taking Zelda back to the NES style and making it an open world game like Skyrim is very appealing.

As for the second convention - this could mean co-op locally or online (unlikely) or it could just mean bringing a party of NPCs with you.

Either way this will be a huge shake up for the series and something I would welcome. I just want it in the style of the E3 Spider Demo.

I would be very surprised if they used the WW style as that would mean two identical looking Zelda games being developed together.

Mixing the formula up and getting back to basics sounds fantastic and much needed. They seem aware of the big game-wide issues and complaints from recent Zeldas, so hopefully this will get the series back on track.

Multiplayer scares me though, hopefully it's similar to optional co-op multiplayer in Mario U.

Pleased they're taking their time.

I'm hoping for a new engine as well, hopefully not re-using the clunky TP/SS one.

I really don't mind about the graphical style to be honest. Nintendo has proven to be able to work with different graphical concepts, and they all looked great! I loved the wind waker, twilight princess and skyward sword, they all looked gorgeous!

What I'm really excited about is the "changing the formula" bit. Quite interesting to get a more open world Zelda maybe!

i can only imagine we are getting an open world WW style four swords zelda
*faints* :p

4 players play as Link

Gamepad as Tingle/Fairy.

I really don't mind about the graphical style to be honest. Nintendo has proven to be able to work with different graphical concepts, and they all looked great! I loved the wind waker, twilight princess and skyward sword, they all looked gorgeous!

What I'm really excited about is the "changing the formula" bit. Quite interesting to get a more open world Zelda maybe!

Well said, I find myself agreeing with you a lot! :grin:

Well, the WW HD remake looks quite good, so I'm quite positive about how this will end up looking as well.

Anyway, the changes sound really good. Open world gameplay? Hell yes, Zeldas should be about adventure and exploration, not running from point A to point B. Some sort of multiplayer element, perhaps? Yes please, sounds very interesting...

They really need to tread carefully with the multiplayer aspect. Zelda is the story of Link, alone. I suppose they could tie it into whatever companion you'll with you.

I just hope that using motion control is optional this time. I found it more trouble than it was worth in Skyward Sword.

I just hope that using motion control is optional this time. I found it more trouble than it was worth in Skyward Sword.

Wiimote as a sword, WiiU gamepad as a shield. Now what could go wrong? ; D

... Nunchuck as a Hookshot, Wii Wheel as a Boomerang. :awesome:

With a long, sharp plastic shell for the Wiimote for you to flail around.

Can anyone remember the game WALK IT OUT!? It offered great gameplay features such as 'walking using the Wii Balance Board!'.

Sadly, you couldn't actually walk using the Wii board and instead had to stand on your tiptoes and then back down to replicate walking, whilst also destroying your feet at the same time. This feature could be fully realised in the next Zelda game, I feel.

EDIT: Perhaps that's what the horse riding peripheal was all about. My Pet Epona: Mii + U

14dq9nc.jpg

Edited by Josh64

... Nunchuck as a Hookshot, Wii Wheel as a Boomerang. :awesome:

With a long, sharp plastic shell for the Wiimote for you to flail around.

And Link's main transport method is a huge Spinner, which you control by the Balance Board.

When I first heard they were thinking about changing the formula and making it not necessarily single-player, I was dubious. Then I saw the Wind Waker HD screenshots and it reassured me that they're back on the right track with Zelda.

I just think they have to be very careful with any changes. A lot of people say Zelda is too samey, but I think the exact opposite. The problem is that they've forgotten what they've achieved in the past. It's no coincidence that Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker are two of the most popular Zeldas - the two that have been deemed worthy of remakes, in fact. Since Wind Waker was first released, it was noted how similar it was to OOT. Both have Power Gauntlets, Hookshot, Fire/Ice Arrows, the Mirror Shield, exploration, Day & Night cycles... All of these things became regulars for a reason.

Twilight Princess forgot a little bit of the formula and then Skyward Sword forgot even more.

For me, Zelda is about exploration. I just hope they avoid making the overworld feel like dungeons - Lanaryu Desert in Skyward Sword was probably Zelda's low-point to me, as it was a real pain just to get anywhere. The solution is not to make the overworld feel like a dungeon, but to have the dungeons fit into the overworld better, so that they seem like real castles, mansions etc.

But I'm optimistic for now. Wind Waker HD is probably the best visual style I've ever seen. I feel like the colours and lighting are just right. Now, I wonder if they could make a new, cartoony version of Adult Link, with similar looks and proportions to OOT's (which I always thought was the best) and I think there is a real potential for this next one to be the best ever.

I was very pleased when Aonuma acknowledged that Skyward Sword was indeed linear!

Good god was it linear!

I so hope we'll get some sort of giant openworld approach, because that's what Zelda is all about!

Exploration!

So long as there's actually stuff happening in that Overworld!... otherwise I'd take Skyward Sword's approach anytime.

I was very pleased when Aonuma acknowledged that Skyward Sword was indeed linear!

Good god was it linear!

I so hope we'll get some sort of giant openworld approach, because that's what Zelda is all about!

Exploration!

Exactly the reason why Wind Waker is such a joy to play. It even had dungeons you could do out of order, well two of them at least.

I too found it very re-assuring they admit Skyward Sword was linear. It practically felt on-rails.

In terms of formula and structure, OOT, TP and SS were identical and far too samey. I'm very glad to hear they're going to mix it up a bit. After Twilight Princess was released a few big name reviewers talked about how stale the franchise could get if they continue on this same OOT-style path. Skyward Sword flattered to deceive with how different it was. Now is the time for a total rethink. I just hope Nintendo don't play it safe like TP/SS and instead take risks like MM/WW.

With regards to co-op. I don't think a game like Zelda would work very well with co-op thrown into the main game - due to the way puzzles are designed.

So I think we'll see a 3D Four Swords as a separate mode. And this needs online with voice chat (In this day and age I shouldn't have to think that there's a possibility of a big game with an offline-only co-op). The Four Swords would be a set of different dungeons (and some linear overworld sections).

I also think that, due to Wind Waker HD, this will have "serious" graphics. I also suspect that Nintendo may so for a few cinematic set pieces (but still have a big open world).

With regards to co-op. I don't think a game like Zelda would work very well with co-op thrown into the main game - due to the way puzzles are designed.

So I think we'll see a 3D Four Swords as a separate mode. And this needs online with voice chat (In this day and age I shouldn't have to think that there's a possibility of a big game with an offline-only co-op). The Four Swords would be a set of different dungeons (and some linear overworld sections).

I also think that, due to Wind Waker HD, this will have "serious" graphics. I also suspect that Nintendo may so for a few cinematic set pieces (but still have a big open world).

I'm not sure they'd do such a contrast as to have a 'realistic' main Zelda and a cartoon four swords multiplayer... or do you reckon they might make a more realistic four swords too?

Personally I'm hoping for one of the more arty/cartoony Wind Waker/Skyward Sword Zelda's.

Way I see it, most of us have been disappointed with the caliber of the last few zeldas compared to previous zeldas; whatever they do can't get much worse now except be another not so impressive showing - so if they really wanna tear it up then I think it might only be a good thing; could even give us the best zelda yet(the risk of course, is going too much off the zelda course, in attempting to make something fresh)

Twilight Princess forgot a little bit of the formula and then Skyward Sword forgot even more.

What TP forgot imo was the exploration. They made a huge world, but didn't fill it up, just thinning it out instead. Market town/whatever it was, was dead - not enough NPC characters or good minigames. The items in TP were fantastic, but the fell flat fast because they didn't have enough good usage elsewhere; it was a sadly linear experience in some ways. They should made some really good overworld puzzle/explory bits to make use of some of the items!