N-Europe

New Super Mario Bros 2

bryanee

Urh... SO bored of these Mario games/Mario.

I'll be giving this a miss, just like NSMB and NSMBWii.

Horrible 2.5D Mario model, and the graphical style fo the worlds is still far behind the look of the classic 2D Marios. Nintendo have seriously lost it with regards to this. This series always looks visually terrible.

And to think I actually had some hope for this new 2D Mario... thinking they might do something truely beautiful like Kirby's Epic Yarn or Wario Shake Dimension, to really showcase the 3DS.

Lame!

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer Y & B, but I have no real issues with B & A. The issue is really overblown, the space between the buttons on the DS/DSi/3DS is so small that it doesn't really matter either way.

It's nothing like playing Super Mario World with a GCN controller (now THAT is a fucking nightmare!)

I think Super Mario 3D Land was their main Mario game for the 3DS which would take advantage of certain 3DS aspects.

This, well this is just, ....Super Mario....

See it as a continouos line of 2D Mario games, for they really haven't changed much ever since.

They're just there, as NINTENDO's main games with its main mascot.

@RedShell you must be the only one that pushes buttons with the tip of your thumb lol I use the middle. But since NSMB on the DS let you change controls to B/Y run A/X jump I guess the 3DS game will let you do it too.

I didn't really like NSMB on the DS and on the Wii and I doubt this game will be any different... I mean the worlds look exactly the same as in the Wii game.

Horrible 2.5D Mario model, and the graphical style fo the worlds is still far behind the look of the classic 2D Marios. Nintendo have seriously lost it with regards to this. This series always looks visually terrible.

And to think I actually had some hope for this new 2D Mario... thinking they might do something truely beautiful like Kirby's Epic Yarn or Wario Shake Dimension, to really showcase the 3DS.

Lame!

I know what you mean. I'll get this, but the whole Mario franchise needs a real shake-up in the visuals department.

I'm sure this will be worth a rent, but after experiencing Super Mario 3D Land this had better do something special with the 3DS hardware to warrent those ugly graphics and samey looking worlds. It reeks of a cheap cash-in.

While we're on the subject of bashing the series, does anyone else find Mario handles like total crap in the New Super Mario Bros. games? Slippery, sluggish controls do not make for the great platforming experience you'd expect from a key Nintendo franchise.

I guess we're going to have to get used to the idea of the core Super Mario Bros. games being disappointingly average going forwards. I would have honestly preferred another pointless-but-decent Mario sports tie-in or a lazy Mario 3D Land sequel to this.

This was always to be expected considering the wide appeal and retail success of the DS and Wii versions. (hope I haven't made that up)

I've only played a tiny bit of 3DLand myself, but I enjoyed it. I enjoyed NSMB/Wii, too, although not in the same way I enjoyed Super Mario Bros. 3 all those years back.

What would be a great idea is if Nintendo did a three tier system, where they had a 3D title or franchise (like Galaxy, freedom of movement and all that), a 2D title for commercial success (like NSMB), and then something else which is more innovative and fun for the traditional fans.

You could argue that the latter is what the 3D titles are, but at least this way it allows the game to be either 2D/2.5D/3D/whatever.

Actually you know what, I'm going to stop being skeptical. Nintendo have some amazing level designers and I think that is what will make or break this game.

I'll agree with what other people have said about how Mario moved in NSMB but honestly it was the boring level design / challenges that let it down for me. I have a feeling that the scope of the levels was very constrained by the DS itself as well, making it have that very corridored feeling that the original SMB has. Power of the 3DS could change all of that...

Well I'm looking forward to it, whilst the first game on DS was just ok the Wii game was so freaking good some of the level design in that is the best yet in a 2D title. The visuals look to be upto Wii standards this time even using some of the same assets.

That snow level should look gooood in 3D. I'm really suprised its out in August though, I was sure it'd be the big 3DS game this fall. I'm also suprised people expected Nintendo to go in a different direction what with the last two NSMB titles selling stupidly high amounts.

I also have to say that I hope the inclusion of the P-wing means that levels will have loads of high places and secret routes to explore.

That's kind of what I meant about corridoring... One of the best things about SMB3 and SMW was the verticality of the levels. So much to explore in 2D space.

I'm yet to play the Wii one as it's pretty damn expensive everywhere still and bluey isn't that interested so the multiplayer is out of the window :/

The DS game was trash/disappointing, but the Wii game was better. I hope this continues the trend (are two games a trend?).

I can live with rehashed graphics if the gameplay is fun.

If you play with the Y/B setup:

0Wqlo.jpg

You have to either release Y to jump:

G5TiE.jpg

Meaning you lose momentum in the game. :nono:

Or, you keep hold of Y with the tip of your thumb and press B with the lower part of your thumb, :sad: rather than the top part: :smile:

Ic5EZ.jpg

Doing that is the only way to keep run active while jumping, using that control layout, and I find it immensely unintuitive. :shakehead

We push buttons with the tips of our fingers for a reason. :heh:

But if you play with a B/A setup, you can easily rock over to the A button while still holding down B:

jZK1F.jpg

This way you're still using the top part of your thumb (albeit slightly on the side) so it makes holding run while jumping much more responsive.

Clearly the best solution is to just offer customisable controls though, like NSMB did on the DS.

RedShellsthumb.jpg

First things first - I'm a Y/B man through and through and that's one thing that always annoyed me with GameBoys.

I'm not a fan of either of the NEW games so I certainly won't be in any rush to get this unless I play a demo and get blown away, which won't happen.

I think Mario handled much better in the Wii game but I prefered the level design of the DS one. Either way, I'm just not the worlds biggest fan of Mario's 2D outings - I can see why they are appreciated (well, not so much the last two) but they don't really get my juices flowing. If this had been NEW Super Mario Bros USA then I'd be a whole lot more interested as that was by far my favourite of his 8 bit games.

I guess I'll just have to go replay Super Mario 3D Land when I want my portable Mario fix.

RedShellsthumb.jpg

Say what now? :heh:

I prefer Y & B
First things first - I'm a Y/B man through and through and that's one thing that always annoyed me with GameBoys.
I'm pretty surprised that I seem to be the only person on here that likes the B/A setup. :blank:

Did any of you lot that prefer Y/B, play the NES as a kid? ::shrug:

Say what now? :heh:

I'm pretty surprised that I seem to be the only person on here that likes the B/A setup. :blank:

Did any of you lot that prefer Y/B, play the NES as a kid? ::shrug:

Yes and I'd hold that much as I do the Wii Remote on its side which does utilise a more obvious rolling motion though the the tip of my thumb still rests over the B(1) Button and the A(2) Button is hit with the part below as it rolls over.

But that works because the buttons are lined up horizontally and feels a natural fit for how my thumb extends over the pad. On the handhelds, the buttons are so close to the edges that it means you have to use a rather uncomfortable grip, that doesn't really support the device properly (worse so if you have big hands), to use your thumb like that.

Edited by Captain Falcon

So you're bored of games in a style that you've never actually played/"gave a miss"?

NSMB was more fun to play than it "looked" in my opinion. It wasn't perfect, but I enjoyed it a decent amount. Haven't played NSMBWii though.

I'm pretty surprised that I seem to be the only person on here that likes the B/A setup.

Did any of you lot that prefer Y/B, play the NES as a kid?

Playing NES games with a run button works the exact same way as Y/B for me, just with a slightly more horizontally oriented thumb. More comfortable with the diagonal layout though, which I assume is part of the reason why they went with the diagonal button layout in the first place...because most people play games with a run button that way. :P

If you play with the Y/B setup:

0Wqlo.jpg

You have to either release Y to jump:

G5TiE.jpg

Meaning you lose momentum in the game. :nono:

Or, you keep hold of Y with the tip of your thumb and press B with the lower part of your thumb, :sad: rather than the top part: :smile:

Ic5EZ.jpg

Doing that is the only way to keep run active while jumping, using that control layout, and I find it immensely unintuitive. :shakehead

We push buttons with the tips of our fingers for a reason. :heh:

But if you play with a B/A setup, you can easily rock over to the A button while still holding down B:

jZK1F.jpg

This way you're still using the top part of your thumb (albeit slightly on the side) so it makes holding run while jumping much more responsive.

Clearly the best solution is to just offer customisable controls though, like NSMB did on the DS.

You need to go play some DKC then your thumb skills will evolve properly. :wink:

Unless its too late for you, you old dog you.

You need to go play some DKC then your thumb skills will evolve properly. :wink:

Unless its too late for you, you old dog you.

Why you whippersnapper...

ZcEcg.jpg

Back in my day we played games the right way, with the right part of our thumbs! Of course, in those days the buttons were programmed properly in the first place! There are too many buttons today, we don't have that many fingers, so why do we need...

Zzzzzz....

*stupid Y and X buttons*...