NEurope
bryanee

New Super Mario Bros 2

Just announced on the Japanese Direct show. They showed screens and it looks good, much better than the first especially the backgrounds.

Also out August in Japan atleast.

Woo.

ScreenShot2012-04-20at113957PM.png

464a5abd.jpg

8dc8380d.jpg

c0f2a956.jpg

0e2293ef.jpg

Images have been taken straight from the stream so not best quality.

Edited by bryanee

Announcement of the game.

Despite not being a big fan of the original NSMB, the game sold by the bucketloads. This is no doubt once again sell a stupid amount and further cement Nintendo's handheld dominance in Japan.

NSMB is probably my least favourite Mario game. It was just a bit boring and uninspired. Literally just....carbon copy of stuff. Myewewwhhh.

Unless this features the good old B button to run, A to jump control scheme I doubt I'll be picking it up right away. :nono:

The borked button layout on SM3DL really hampered the experience for me. :(

*wishes Nintendo would release a controls patch for that game*

August release date, that's pretty close. This will sell like crazy, especially the 3DS. There will be so many new 3DS Owners come August.

NOE don't usually seem to like releasing things in August - I hope this doesn't get pushed to September for us.

I'll get it. I liked the older NSMB-games so I'll probably like this one too. Also, P-wing!

Wow, a Summer release date, that was totally unexpected! Crazy how it looks like we ain't gonna get our hands on games such as Animal Crossing and Paper Mario, which we saw at E3 2010, until Winter 2012, while we're getting this a few months after seeing the first screens.

I wasn't the biggest fan of NSMB on DS either, but I have played through it quite a few times. Hopefully this will be more like the Wii version. I wonder if we'll see multiplayer support along with the return of those touch based mini-games which last appeared in the handheld Mario games on DS?

Unless this features the good old B button to run, A to jump control scheme I doubt I'll be picking it up right away. :nono:

The borked button layout on SM3DL really hampered the experience for me. :(

*wishes Nintendo would release a controls patch for that game*

Still don't get that. Holding Y to run and B to jump is so much more comfortable

Colour me enormously disappointed, it looks nearly identical to the DS game (not even the Wii one)

I love the DS and Wii games and I don't mind the art style, but this looks to be doing nothing new so far.

Granted, all we have are a few screenshots but this looks to be entirely derivative so far. NSMB DS was the glorious return of 2D Mario (with new items and mechanics, married with the new jumping moves you got in Mario 64), while NSMB Wii was the impossible (a 4 player Mario game that was as fun in co-op as in single player), made possible by a revelation in level design and the Super Guide & Bubble mechanics (throw in new items and level mechanics for good measure, plus that godly shake move!)

What's this game's hook?! A rehash of the raccoon leaf?!

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now, but this reveal doesn't give off a good first impression. The first trailer of this game better blow me away, I want to see something groundbreaking and creative in order to make it worthy of the New moniker!

I want NSMB 2, Not NSMB The Lost Levels! :mad:

Edited by Dcubed

I have used the middle bit of my thumb for that while running since 1991 :p

I find the other way much more comfortable/intuitive.

Also....what Serebii said. :p

I'm disappointed that they seem to be reusing everything... it doesn't feel different at all, just new levels.

Super Mario 3D Land was perfection, urgh. Oh well... gotta make the bucks somehow.

Can we at least have online multiplayer?

So, a non-gimped raccoon suit. Actually can fly again. Good stuff.

It is kind of weird that it's called 2. I mean in what was was NSMBWii NOT a NSMB2? Just the fact it was on the Wii? Hasn't stopped numbered sequels being across different systems before.

About that button layout discussion above...haven't we all been playing most games Y/B style since the Snes era...? Pretty sure stuff like Super Metroid played that way too?

Can we at least have online multiplayer?

No. No you cannot.

What would be hilarious however, is NINTENDO spending a large portion of their conference on this:laughing:

Am I the only one who was expecting a lovely sprite system (after seeing how great it looks in Mighty Switch Force)?

Am I the only one who was expecting a lovely sprite system (after seeing how great it looks in Mighty Switch Force)?

Nah man, they still need that for 'Super Mario Returns To its Roots' for their next portable system.

I'm honestly a little worried about Mario overkill atm. For instance, I'll almost definitely be giving this a miss because of what will be on the Wii U coupled with the fact that SML3DS didn't come out very long ago.

I have used the middle bit of my thumb for that while running since 1991 :p
Also....what Serebii said. :p
Yeah? Well I've used the not middle bit of my thumb for that since before you two even had thumbs... So shut it! :heh:

...And stop making me feel old. :woops:

As long as it plays more like the DS game that's fine with me since I enjoyed that one.