NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

Ghostbusters 3 update: Aykroyd says they've got a script, a studio and they're shooting next year. Murray won't be part of it.

Probably still won't happen.

The Hunger Games - May the odds be ever in your favour/10

An odd one this, I watched it at the cinema but forgot pretty much everything about how it was handled. I read the book a little while ago (before I saw the film, read it twice now) and I enjoyed it and they do get some stuff right with the movie but for a 2hr 20min film it felt really rushed. They cut out alot at the start of the film and never really explain anything about the world except for some brief history details at the start which isnt a good substitute atall.

The relationship with Petr and Katniss isnt half as good in this movie as it is in the book. In the book you get a real sense of confusion with the Katniss character which doesnt come across well in the movie atall.

The action itself is shot really poorly. Quick cuts and far to much shaky cam ruin alot of the action. The brutality thats present in the books isnt anywhere to be seen. There is also shaky cam in regular scenes with characters just walking around. Whoever directed it is a fucking moron. The less said about the CGI towards the end the better.

Its a film that had potential, they just needed to slap another 20 minutes on the film to flesh things out and have some one to help film the action. I hope for the sequel they get a better director.

The Raid: Redmption - Brutal as fuck/10

Damn good ride with amazing action scenes. Story is as basic as it gets and the dub came across really cheesy so I'll have to watch the original language version at some point. Watch it.

Ghostbusters 3 update: Aykroyd says they've got a script, a studio and they're shooting next year. Murray won't be part of it.

Probably still won't happen.

Oh gawd. What has Murray thrown his toys out the pram for *this* time??

It's always sounded doomed anyway, even from the start. They should just let this project die in peace!

There's already a decent third "film", with all four actors anyway: The Game.

You know, I only just got that. I read it and thought about The Game and thought "man, that was a good movie. Bill Murray was definitely not in it though. Surely the others weren't either..? TO IMDB! No, I thought not. Let's check... Hmm... nope, not going to be the tv series.. 1915 is a liiittle too early... '66? '84? '88? Hmm... 94... Nope... Better check Murray's profile. *scroll scroll scroll* Man, Murray's been in some shit. I thought he said his number one regret was garfield? So why'd he do 2? *scroll up scroll up scroll up* Man, he did voice for Ghostbusters: The Game, so why won't he do the mo--"

Ghostbusters: The Game

busters: The Game

The Game

arrested.jpg

Oh!

Did anyone see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy? It was part of my Educate These Damn Kids programme. It started off proper confusing and one kid was all "nnggghh my head hurrts" but by the end he literally said "thank you. Thank you for making me watch this movie."

And is Project X worth watching?

I only got it because of you JAY! Thank you for making me read your post.

Chronicle

Just finished watching the blu ray, I thought it was a pretty good movie. Certainly special effects didnt seem that great but I liked the characters and the acting for the most part was good. I was expecting something slightly different though from the trailers but I did see those quite a while ago so Im probably remembering them wrong anyway.

You know' date=' I only just got that. I read it and thought about The Game and thought "man, that was a good movie.

Did anyone see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy? It was part of my Educate These Damn Kids programme. It started off proper confusing and one kid was all "nnggghh my head hurrts" but by the end he literally said "thank you. Thank you for making me watch this movie."

And is Project X worth watching?

The Game is an awesome movie. I really like David Fincher, he's made some really good and thought provoking movies.

TTSS to me was confusing. I'm an intelligent guy and have never found myself in this position before but I had no idea what was going on for most of that movie. I suspect that most people who raved about it secretly didn't understand it but were too embarrassed to admit it as it was so hyped and technically well made.

The Game is an awesome movie. I really like David Fincher, he's made some really good and thought provoking movies.

TTSS to me was confusing. I'm an intelligent guy and have never found myself in this position before but I had no idea what was going on for most of that movie. I suspect that most people who raved about it secretly didn't understand it but were too embarrassed to admit it as it was so hyped and technically well made.

Watching it with my cousin, we could vocalise what we thought was happening and correct each other - there's clearly a lot of fan service in the movie for those who've read the books and perhaps seen previous 'smiley' movies (imdb'd after the movie), but I think it was intentionally obtuse from the start but became more focused as the movie went on. I got the gist of what was happening, but I couldn't retell the whole movie in sequence and explain it!

IMDB tells me that Zodiac and his version of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo the only Fincher movie I've not seen, so I'll get onto it.

Both movies are great in certain ways. Definitely watch them! Fincher handles both appropriately.

What I have watched recently:

Two Years At Sea.

An absolutely breathtaking film which focuses on the solitary life of an oldman who lives in the scottish wilderness. 88 minutes of one character and no dialogue. The grainy black and white aesthetic only adds to it and aside from some odd folksy songs he plays you are just listening to silence and nature go on around him as you see his day unravel in his no worries life style.

It's a gripping watch even though there is no narrative to speak of, it encapsulates perfectly what it means for us to exist.

The Cat Returns:

Cats, basically. An abundance of cats. Fun idea but feels under developed. (still great though)

Ice Age 4: Continental shift.

Better than 2 worse than 1 and 3. It is still enjoyable but lacks a bit of the charm from the others and the plot is paper thin.

North By Northwest:

Not really a fan of Hitchcock but I got a chance to see this on the big screen that I wasn't going to pass up. A good adventure romp nothing more/nothing less. It was also funnier than I was expecting. Great action sequences.

The ending is hilarious. (not in a good way)

Pure spectacle, there is no denying his craftsmenship. Might see some of his lesser works next week in the cinema as well.

Freddy Got Fingered

Ahead of its time and crap. DADDY WOULD YOU LIKE SOME SAUSAGES!?

Werner Herzog Eats His Own Shoe:

Mental, Bizarre definitely worth a look at only 20 minutes long. More shoes, more boots, more garlic!

Meet The Robinsons

A bit short in its length but a well crafted story if you ignore the time loop holes.

:)

I watched Ted last night, and despite what it looks like, thoroughly enjoyed it, and found myself laughing alot.

It's cheesy is parts, the whole... lets stay together, you have one more chance, oh you blew it, but I love you so you get one more chance was repetitive. But if I'm honest I didn't spend my money to see a rom-com, I spent money to see a foul mouthed, pot smoking, bear. And got what I paid for.

Ted the character was hilarious, and Mark Wahlberg should pump out a few more comedies (I loved him in Other guys).

If you are watching it, look past the cheesy introduction, and the romantic parts, it's all about the shit Mark & Ted get upto, and it's hilarious.

Ted's job interview if classic.

I thought the cheesy rom-com parts added to the movie a little as they were actually funny but yeah, Ted's awesome. I found myself laughing throughout a lot of the film and I've seen it three times now and still do. My favourite parts were with anything to do with Ted in the supermarket, those bits crack me up every time.

Oh my

itpxruGiMnNI1.jpg

test screening buzz

Edited by bryanee

The Expendables 2 - FUCK YEAH/10

Great action and characters. Good to see more of the team together in the movie which was missing during the first film. Its let down a little by poor CGI and some forced humour. Van Damme makes for a great enemy and the cameos are good.

Better than the first and if you're male and dont like this then well hand in that man card. Bring on another.

Went and saw Brave this week, and was a little bit disappointed....maybe i was expecting better things from Pixar.

It wasn't bad, just not as good as the rest of Pixars stuff.

To be honest i've not seen Cars or Cars 2, so my average is skewed positively...

I haven't watched Cars 2 either, but maybe I should make sure to watch it before Brave so I'll appreciate that movie more.

Cars 2 is great.

Better than the Mass Effect 3 ending? ;)

It's much better than the original Mass Effect 3 ending, but not as good as the new Mass Effect 3 ending.

Outside of Toy Story 1 & 2 (I haven't seen 3) and Monsters Inc. I've found pretty much every Pixar film underwhelming!... Cars (well obvisously), Ratatouille, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles and Up.

Brave looks bad from the trailers, so probably won't bother with that one.

Edited by Retro_Link

I haven't watched Cars 2 either, but maybe I should make sure to watch it before Brave so I'll appreciate that movie more.

To be fair you've watched like 3 movies in total. :p

Cars was surprisingly good for me after I had heard all the negativity and Cars 2 is just pure fun, not as good though it has to be said.

Then I am a massive fan of Pixar (and animated film) in general but people expect them to knock out the park every time as they have built up the reputation that will be impossible to uphold for everyone. There is still a distinct clear quality between and other outputs I love their creativity and although a fair few sequels/prequels are cropping up now, who's to blame them? They have made great out put and there are some exciting new IPs on the way. I'm only dubious about Toy Story 4.

I have not seen Brave yet (Super excited) because I can see it for free in a weeks time so I am a little anxious as I have enjoyed all their movie's so far. The animation looks gorgeous though. (as is Cars 2 on Bluray)

...unsure where my point is