N-Europe

Baby Swapgate

Ashley

This just astounds me:

EastEnders' controversial baby swap storyline has become the most complained-about plot in the soap's history.

8,400 viewers have now contacted the BBC to raise concerns over the current story centring around Ronnie Branning's (Samantha Womack) decision to switch her dead son with Kat Moon's (Jessie Wallace) newborn child.

347 complaints have also been made to the broadcasting regulator Ofcom, though it is understood that the watchdog currently has no plans to launch an official investigation into the matter.

More stuff here: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a296703/eastenders-complaints-hit-record.html

Really British public? I know a lot of people consider it a 'touchy' subject but to outright complain? I'm aware it goes against my other most recent thread but is that really necessary?

Similarly Corrie received a lot of complaints for showing teenage girls kissing pre-sex but not as many.

It just astounds me what people complain about to (typically) Ofcom. Surely the most offensive thing on British TV right now is Jack Black's butt crack.

So, thoughts on this whole mess? For note I don't watch Eastenders but it amazes me how much of a drama has been built up around this storyline.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it quite concerning that of all the things for the country to get upset about, it's this.

Yes, I can understand cot death is an incredibly hard thing for a mother/family to deal with and it is a touchy subject in real life.

But people have been saying it makes women look like baby snatchers..

NEWS FLASH!

No, no, it doesn't, she was a woman who went through a bucketload, then had her baby die and the first thing she decided to do was keep another's baby, imo there's been far worse on tv.

Eurgh, people need to get a sodding back bone or stop watching these things, do people not realise they do this to push the boundaries of tv?

The whole subject just has me in dismay.

I think the entire soap is stupid anyway. It's so depressing, everyone's depressed, nothing happy ever happens. I know why they have complained though and I can understand it to an extent. I just don't get why cot death isn't tragic and upsetting enough for Eastenders anyway. I've not got a lot of time for Eastenders though, I still watch but not to my fullest attention since it's predictable and seriously depressing. I'll stick to Corrie, best soap overall.

I don't know/care about what Eastenders is, but...

Similarly Corrie received a lot of complaints for showing teenage girls kissing pre-sex but not as many.

People complained that teenage girls were kissing before having sex? Would it be okay if they had sex without kissing? Am I misunderstanding something?

I don't know/care about what Eastenders is, but...

People complained that teenage girls were kissing before having sex? Would it be okay if they had sex without kissing? Am I misunderstanding something?

No sorry, my wording. They showed the kissing and it was made clear they had sex but they didn't show it. They weren't complaining about the foreplay, they were complaining about the sex but the foreplay was the only bit seen.

I've been unfortunate enough to listen to the middle-aged daily-mail reading ranters on the news segment of radio 2 a couple of days this week and all I can say is that the world is stupid, full of idiots and more idiots who see no harm nor pain in allowing these idiots to express their stupid opinions that do nothing but encumber more idiots with more biased stupidity.

It angers me!

I don't actively watch eastenders all the time, but I do watch it sometimes. I happened to see the episode in question, she did literally snatch the baby. She left her house, went over the square, went into the vic, swapped the babies whilst charlie(who was watching kat's baby) had conviniently nipped downstairs to have nye pint with everyone, and returned to her house. Also conveniently both babies were wearing matching outfits that alfie had bought earlier in the day. Kat was back in hospital due to having had some haemorrhaging, alfie by her side, cue returning back home afterwards declaring the dead baby isn't hers and people thinking she's just in denial.

I don't know what it's like to lose a baby, and never will from a mother's point of view, and so I can't discredit all these mothers who are complaining. I'll be honest, I did have some serious gripes with the story and the way it was executed, but that was mainly due to the fact it seemed to be FUCKING RETARDED. I know the babies were only supposed to be like 2 days old or something, and I DO think that babies tend to look rather alike, but honestly, they don't look exactly the same, do they?! Find it really shocking that such a terrible storyline got made the xmas/nye special dealie. Apparently this whole thing was supposed to run until next christmas, too.

Well I say its dumb...what the hell is the point in getting so put up by something that isn't real and is designed to "entertain". When the script writers wrote this story it was clearly not their intent for it to be viewed as typical behavior of a grieving mother. Where things do get a bit odd in some ways is due to the BBC's funding they do have to provide a "public service" and are more answerable to things such as this but still it all comes down to it not being real ffs!

I haven't seen the episode in question, and I know little of EastEnders anyway, but from the significant amount I've read about the scene, I can't see how it does that.

Exactly.

I believe the source I'm mentioning was on bbc news or something, otherwise I would have quoted it properly.

I never watch east enders and yet I know the plot, it should stop invading my news imo.

Well I say its dumb...what the hell is the point in getting so put up by something that isn't real and is designed to "entertain". When the script writers wrote this story it was clearly not their intent for it to be viewed as typical behavior of a grieving mother. Where things do get a bit odd in some ways is due to the BBC's funding they do have to provide a "public service" and are more answerable to things such as this but still it all comes down to it not being real ffs!

This is true... Ronnie (the swapping mum) had already displayed several episodes of being nuts long before this. Anyone who thinks that this is displaying, or trying to display typical mother behaviour is either commenting without watching the programme, or just damn stupid.

This is true... Ronnie (the swapping mum) had already displayed several episodes of being nuts long before this. Anyone who thinks that this is displaying, or trying to display typical mother behaviour is either commenting without watching the programme, or just damn stupid.

Yeah I've watched it on and off down the years and do remember her being a nutter in plenty of episodes. So I think she is very much an un-hinged character to start with before she swapped babies.

These losers beggar belief!

They're probably the same thousands that complained when the character of Danielle died a few Xmas's ago, cos it was too "sad".

Get a life! The world doesn't revolve around your sensitivity!

I watch Easties, and i'm quite enjoying this storyline actually.

I also saw the episode and thought it was horrendous, but I would never, ever complain to ofcom. I did the right thing: lol'd, shook my head and switched off.

I don't mind Eastenders very occasionally, but as previously mentioned this particular storyline is FUCKING RETARDED. Such an ill-conceived concept that is so embedded in complete and utter fiction it makes a mockery of basic premise of a soap opera to depict real life.

Also, it's just been Christmas for fuck sake, we're about to be financially arse raided by the government, it's been -9 degrees for 2 fucking weeks and they can't even put something merry on the television during the festive period to cheer up the depressed, poverty stricken population - no, instead we're treated to a bit of cot death and baby snatching and then prompted to call "if we've been affected by tonight's storyline."

They should just cancel all TV programmes and show repeats of Red Dwarf all day, every day for the next 40 years - because no one can ever tire of that.

My objection to it isn't the subject they've chosen (clearly room for decent drama) but that they've done it with all the sensitivity and nuance of a bull in a china shop. It's been done so badly that it actually lowers the bar for...everything.

Eastenders is a lunatic cartoon of real life- it jumped the shark years ago but even for them this is pretty base.