N-Europe

bad stuff thread.

tapedeck

Sigh, got a fracking 2:2. I kind of expected it given that I got just 60 last year, but I was doing so well this year, the difference between my essay marks and my exam marks are ridiculous. I was most worried about telling my girlfriend (she was very proud of me (she got a 2:1, well deserved, got a 74 in one of her exams!) and my parents, who were equally very proud of me. I think i'm ok now, it was a shock but, the PGCE course I got on to lowered their requirements to a 2:2 from a 2:1 after they interviewed me (when I was predicted a 2:1). So I got what I needed, and I find myself caring that little bit less that I did get a 2:2.

Should this even be in this thread?

Well, the ones that won't try to overcharge/scam you. I mean, the ones that will try to get you to fork out the cash for things that won't be required to pass the MOT.

Kwik Fit probably won't try to scam you, but their prices are a bit higher than independent garages. If you're worried about garages scamming you then go to an MOT centre that is just an MOT centre and not a garage (i.e. they don't make repairs themselves, that way they have no reason to scam you).

A filling has collapsed :( Last time this happened and I went, they decided to do patch up work first on other teeth and I almost lost the entire tooth, instead losing about two thirds (though he wanted to pull it)

Plus, as it's impossible to get a NHS dentist, I have to be private and as such, more money down the drain

Edited by Serebii

Can we re-name this to the "Fucking Awful" thread, please?

Today, my car went in for its full service. The Kwik Fit bloke asked me if I wanted to also put it in for its MOT today. Well...I had originally tried to do that online, which their booking system didn't let me do. So, instead, I booked the service for today and the MOT on Friday.

So, naturally, I took him up on his offer to get the MOT done. Walked to the bus stop, got the Bus back to Bournemouth, and it started pissing down with rain.

I get a phone call a few hours later, saying that they have performed the MOT and Service and found a large number of faults. 13 to be exact...adding up to 900 quid's worth of work. You should have seen my expression at the time.

I get back on the bus and go to Kwik Fit to pick my car up. When I get into the car, I find a knife under the glovebox. So, I pick it up and take it back inside to the garage, who claim that it isn't theirs...Well, it isn't mine either, chuck. They claim they found it in the passenger's door compartment. Fucking bullshit. Why lie about such a thing?

I start driving the car home and notice that it sounds considerably worse than when I actually took it into the centre. Noticeably worse, like a grinding sound, very metallic. Then, when I'm driving home, the car wheel cover on my driver's side rear wheel falls off...

Somebody from work mentioned in the week that their husband works in a garage (this was after I booked the test), so I'm seeing him tomorrow and he's going to take a look to see what's going on.

To top it off, my two housemates won't stop fucking moaning about their jobs. The one of them is doing a job that he took a degree to obtain, and is earning over 30 grand a year. I wish I could moan about 30 fucking grand! And the other...well...if she had actually done things IN ORDER and went to uni after leaving school, instead of bumming around and then deciding that she wanted to go, maybe she wouldn't be in such a predicament.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Today, my car went in for its full service. The Kwik Fit bloke asked me if I wanted to also put it in for its MOT today. Well...I had originally tried to do that online, which their booking system didn't let me do. So, instead, I booked the service for today and the MOT on Friday.

So, naturally, I took him up on his offer to get the MOT done. Walked to the bus stop, got the Bus back to Bournemouth, and it started pissing down with rain.

I get a phone call a few hours later, saying that they have performed the MOT and Service and found a large number of faults. 13 to be exact...adding up to 900 quid's worth of work. You should have seen my expression at the time.

I get back on the bus and go to Kwik Fit to pick my car up. When I get into the car, I find a knife under the glovebox. So, I pick it up and take it back inside to the garage, who claim that it isn't theirs...Well, it isn't mine either, chuck. They claim they found it in the passenger's door compartment. Fucking bullshit. Why lie about such a thing?

I start driving the car home and notice that it sounds considerably worse than when I actually took it into the centre. Noticeably worse, like a grinding sound, very metallic. Then, when I'm driving home, the car wheel cover on my driver's side rear wheel falls off...

Somebody from work mentioned in the week that their husband works in a garage (this was after I booked the test), so I'm seeing him tomorrow and he's going to take a look to see what's going on.

To top it off, my two housemates won't stop fucking moaning about their jobs. The one of them is doing a job that he took a degree to obtain, and is earning over 30 grand a year. I wish I could moan about 30 fucking grand! And the other...well...if she had actually done things IN ORDER and went to uni after leaving school, instead of bumming around and then deciding that she wanted to go, maybe she wouldn't be in such a predicament.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Ah I really feel for you.

I hope you manage to sort it all out.

Kwik Fit don't have the greatest reputation.

And tell your housemates to STFU. ;)

Kwikfit used to be my favourite garage, in sheffield one of them was very good, or so I thought at the time of fixing my car when I needed it done quickly, but soon after that (almost the same week.) my bushes on the front of my car started loosening, it's far too sudden and close to the ''fix'' for me to think otherwise.

Also I have water in my car door, it's very, very obvious that it is there, I was told that it wasn't, I was hearing things and that it was infact coming from the roof of my car and flowing into my car door. I'd like that to be explained to me again given they don't join in the way he tried to explain to me.

I'm not suggesting kwik fit again tbh, bunch of college students without a brain to put together.

*hugs* for Flinky.

Today has been an alright day, but I've been awake for about two days now and I've found out that after asking my grandad if he'd like to join me and my family for a really nice meal tomorrow for father's day and my birthday that'd be awesome...is now umming and ahhing.

Well fuck you. :(

Jesus man, that sucks.

There's a good place in Bournemouth that my brother used for his MOT last year. I think it's on Maxwell Road/Charminster Road in Charminster

I'm not suggesting kwik fit again tbh, bunch of college students without a brain to put together.

I'll always go for independent garages. They need the business more and are more likely to look after you. Loyal customers are how they stay in busniess. Just make sure you go for a reputable one as independents are more likely to be cowboys. And not the fun, shooting Indians in the face type.

Plus they are more likely to turn a blind eye to things. I remember my old Scirocco passed it's MOT on everything apart from a licence plate light. They let me off and told me to get it fixed by the next MOT. They would have fixed it for me at the time, but one of the bolts was too rusted.

definitely. I get my car done in an independent business, they definitely look after you more, and my car has NEVER had problems.

Although I'm not sure about the whole dodgy mot-ness... hmmmm. That worries me! I think we can only go to the official dvlni MOT centres over here.

definitely. I get my car done in an independent business, they definitely look after you more, and my car has NEVER had problems.

Although I'm not sure about the whole dodgy mot-ness... hmmmm. That worries me! I think we can only go to the official dvlni MOT centres over here.

In all fairness, the number plate light is pretty much the smallest thing a car can fail on. If it was dangerous, they wouldn't let it pass.

They're not dodgy or anything (I won't touch dodgy MOT's), they wouldn't risk their business. They just thought it was stupid to fail a car and have to re-test it once it had a new bulb, especially when there are 2 licence plate lights and only one had failed. They would have fixed it there and then, but it was a bastard to get to due to a rusty bolt.

That sort of common sense is why I prefer independents.

In all fairness, the number plate light is pretty much the smallest thing a car can fail on. If it was dangerous, they wouldn't let it pass.

They're not dodgy or anything (I won't touch dodgy MOT's), they wouldn't risk their business. They just thought it was stupid to fail a car and have to re-test it once it had a new bulb, especially when there are 2 licence plate lights and only one had failed. They would have fixed it there and then, but it was a bastard to get to due to a rusty bolt.

That sort of common sense is why I prefer independents.

aye I get what you mean, sorry if it looked like I was pointing directly at you.. I know you've got more common sense when it comes to cars :p I didn't actually know you could do that sorta thing on the mainland... (glad I don't have to drive there...!!) i'm sure there must be a wile lotta cowboys passing cars that shouldn't be passed too. o_O

aye I get what you mean, sorry if it looked like I was pointing directly at you.. I know you've got more common sense when it comes to cars :p I didn't actually know you could do that sorta thing on the mainland... (glad I don't have to drive there...!!) i'm sure there must be a wile lotta cowboys passing cars that shouldn't be passed too. o_O

We just have a set of rules, but it's down to the tester to be honest with them. The emissions test is hard to fake, since it's electronic and stored on the cars electronic record, but no one official can tell if it's the tested car that's hooked up to the machine at the time. :grin:

Someone told me that they could get me a dodgy MOT (or "MOT over the phone") once. He said that they'd pass it regardless, but say what it would have failed on. Luckily I've never had a car that's needed a dodgy one! I reckon dodgy MOT's are more common than people think.

Tonight was actually pretty poor :hmm:

Nothing particularly bad happened, though I did see a couple of familiar faces that I could probably have done without seeing. It was basically a night chatting with my friends as we watched society go down the drain. It's embarrassing :nono:

Thought I'd come home and kick back on here for a bit just to relax but that privilege has seemingly been taken away from me ::shrug:

..but life goes on!

My grandad was a mechanic - a proper one, not like at Kwik Fit. Those guys simply remove parts and replace, true mechanics repair damaged parts that are repairable because it's cheaper in terms of physical cost.

However, labour costs tend to be higher. I learned a lot from my grandfather about cars, it was a good time for us, we had a lot of meaningful conversations. He's 80 now, still as fit as a fiddle, but only takes care of their own motor.

"hey, grandad... Is there a god...what do you think? I mean, you were brought up Catholic and I remember we used to get visits from angry nuns when I was younger..."

"Well, Scott... I'd like to think there was, I don't really know for sure. I hope there is. Because...there's so many bad people in the world who hurt everyone else and die rich and happy... I'd like to think there was some kind of consequence for that. Then there's all these good people...don't tell lies, don't hurt a fly, just a pint of beer after a twelve hour day...they go home to bills and all these worries... Wouldn't it be nice if they got a reward for that?"

Now I'm depressed because I miss conversations with my grandad.

Thanks, Flink.

No offence you guys, I mean, I know Flinky's car trouble is bad and all.

But hello...

M&Ms?

I don't think you guys understand the situation properly.

Try living life without Wine Gums for three years, then get back to me.

I think everytime I come in here I want to put ''this thread is a bad day'', but I suppose in some way it helps.

This is more for my dad than me, my poor dad has been roped into doing a motorbike observer thing today, he shouldn't have to do that on father's day - he should be sat down with a cup of tea and all those sweets I got him. :( Poor dad!

Plus they are more likely to turn a blind eye to things. I remember my old Scirocco passed it's MOT on everything apart from a licence plate light. They let me off and told me to get it fixed by the next MOT. They would have fixed it for me at the time, but one of the bolts was too rusted.

Same happened to me when my indicator on my Allegro wasn't working.

Althought you can get a dodgy MOT easily. I got one for my fiesta by bribing him (it was failing on emiisions only, I wouldn't do it if it were mechanical/dangerous). Hence why you shouldn't always trust MOTs when you're buying a car, especially garages.

So I'm sure that Sainsburys don't sell regular chocolate M&Ms anymore.

None in store for months and now the website doesn't even sell them.

What the fuck Sainsburys?!

Saw some today. And saw M&M World.

London > You.

Thanks for the support, dudes and dudettes.

I've had another hectic day. It was arranged for me to visit my friend's husband, so he can take a look at the car. I got his address, google map'd eet, and proceeded to make my way over to their way.

I left at 9:30. Google said that it would take half an hour. At 10:30, I get a call from my friend asking where I am, I pull over and explain that google has fucking lied to me. She lives in New Milton, and somehow I found my way almost in Southampton. Also, I'm a tad bit worried that I ran a red light by mistake and that there might have been a camera watching me. *

I finally get to their place at 11:20...fucking google. Had to do lots of back-tracking and then just ignored their directions altogether in the end. The dude said that the car was heavily rusted in places and would require lots of welding. Also, he was horrified at the quote that Kwik Fit had given me...which was 960 WITHOUT the welding. He said that altogether, he could get the job done for roughly 500/600 quid, but that I would have the same problem next year, due to the age of the car.

So, we've done a bit of thinking and we've rang up somebody who is selling another car for £495. However, he has also agreed to pay £100 for my car, so it'll only cost me about 400 quid, with a year's MOT on it as well. So, I'm going to go down that route.

*about the traffic light*

So when I was accidentally going to Southampton, I had to turn around and go back the way I came. I thought this seemed like an ok spot, so I went into the right hand lane (like this Honda below) and did a u-turn around that corner and onto the road going in the opposite direction.

I checked back on google maps as soon as I got home and found that there is a camera. I circled it here. Funnily enough, in the next frame on google maps, the person appears to be making the same u-turn move that I did.

road.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/807/road.jpg

Car in next frame.

road3.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/road3.jpg

Is the camera too far away? Does it only photograph those cars which are closest to it on that side of the road (that red and blue-ish car which have stopped at the lights) I can't tell if I'm worrying over nothing.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

I think you'll be OK Flink. I live in Southampton, and while I've never seen anyone do a U turn there personally, I can't see much of a problem and I don't think there are any signs saying no U turn as far as I can remember, As the lane you were in was to turn right (past a Texaco garage, right?) and there would be no other traffic trying to go the way you were U-turning to (I don't think). I've never really noticed any cameras around there but if they are there they'd probably be there to catch people skipping a red light/general CCTV of traffic. DO NOT WORRY!

I think you'll be OK Flink. I live in Southampton, and while I've never seen anyone do a U turn there personally, I can't see much of a problem and I don't think there are any signs saying no U turn as far as I can remember, As the lane you were in was to turn right (past a Texaco garage, right?) and there would be no other traffic trying to go the way you were U-turning to (I don't think). I've never really noticed any cameras around there but if they are there they'd probably be there to catch people skipping a red light/general CCTV of traffic. DO NOT WORRY!

Yeah, there was no sign saying not to U-turn, and...it seemed like it would be ok to do so. It was safe. I'm just worried about that camera. Because, you can just about see in the second picture that there are a set of traffic lights which mimic those that the red car is infront of. So, I'm not sure at all if that counts as me running a red light or not...

I think the camera is out of range anyway, I'm pretty sure they can't detect from there. I circled the camera in the picture. It's hard to see as I had to printscreen the image, but you can just make it out. I think it's out of range.