NEurope
Ashley

What Have You Bought?

I was so lucky that the 3D TV I got was one of the first designed to work with the cheap glasses you get in cinemas!

But then you only get half of your TV's resolution when you turn 3D on.

But then you only get half of your TV's resolution when you turn 3D on.

I do? I don't know how it works, I just know it works brilliantly, and I haven't noticed any drop in quality. :D

AFAI have looked into, the whole 3D half resolution thing;

A) Depends on specific model and make of T.V.

and

B) Is really fucking complicated.

The TVs that use the cheaper glasses use the half-resolution 3D.

The TVs that use the more expensive glasses use full resolution 3D.

B) Is really fucking complicated.[/color]

Totally agree.

It normally takes me about a month of searching before I decide and even when I placed the order I was thinking 'is this the right one?' Ha.

What doesn't help is I read reviews from tech sites and they often mark TV's down for things that only they will pick up on. To the average Joe (i.e. Aneres11), I probably won't even notice.

I tried to do loads of research though before buying and am pretty happy with the one I ended up going for.

What doesn't help is I read reviews from tech sites and they often mark TV's down for things that only they will pick up on.

...and me!

I have very particular demands when it comes to electronics! I hate — yes I really hate — when features are not working flawlessly, or when there are dumb extra features hinders my enjoyment of entertainment.

Therefore, for example, when buying my first HD-TV earlier this year, I went with a plain plasma TV with incredible picture quality: Panasonic TX-P50G30. I would never ever use the stupid 'smart' features of a 'smart-TV', so I did not purchase a TV with more 'smart' extra features than mine already has.

Anyway, when I buy a BD player, I want a BD player, nothing more. Well, I also get a DVD/CD player. But when possible, and in my price range, I always purchase a metal case with one objective only!

I would love if consumer electronics went modular. I would love to be able to upgrade my Yamaha DSP-Z7 with more HDMI inputs! Pay GBP 100 for a module with 2 HDMI inputs — would be great!

Edited by are1981

I would never ever use the stupid 'smart' features of a 'smart-TV', so I did not purchase a TV with more 'smart' extra features than mine already has.

Panasonic's version of the BBC iPlayer is amazing. Somehow, the quality is much better than watching it through a PC or console - especially SD stuff.

the-snuggie.jpg

Got this as a Christmas present for my mom. £5.

tmnt-wtf.jpg

I know someone else who would want the bottom one.

That bottom one looks suspiciously like they've photoshopped it for diversity requirements.

Ah Eenuh and Emma, you guys are always looking so pretty. It puts my skinny jeans + tshirt look to shame. But that said..

30A38CMDT_2_large.jpg

30G11CBUR_large.jpg

(This given it's supposed to be for people over 6ft, was quite short, but its too comfy for me to give back)

(I have to buy from the tall section, my current jeans at 34inch leg and too short!)

115319-386264-290.jpg

64GB USB 3.0 mem stick. £28. Ooh yeah, now I needn't ever be without space again. Good speeds too.

Bought this on an impulse buy in HMV yesterday for my son

91X%2B9AbcYeL._AA1500_.jpg

The picture on the bluray is AWESOME, I sat my son down to watch it and he was glued to the TV in awe watching, he loved it :D

The picture on the bluray is AWESOME, I sat my son down to watch it and he was glued to the TV in awe watching, he loved it :D

Best movie ever and the first ever movie I watched. Great choice! :D

It just makes me want to buy a blu-ray player/PS3 just to see that in blu-ray. I bet it looks gorgeous.

Pretty sure this is the film that gave me my fear of Whales (yes I'm scared of them)

The fact that the damned Whale in this film manages to

swallow Gipetto's boat whole, and it's still fully functional and working within this whales gutts. That's a HUUUGE FISH!

Poor Poor Figaro... he's a cat, cat's don't like water, and this poor adorable little kitten is swallowed up by a whale... irresponsible of Gippetto here.

While it's a great film, I blame it for my hatred of whales.

Just look at the evil bastard on the cover of the film.

nexus4-1.png

The fact that the damned Whale in this film manages to
swallow Gipetto's boat whole, and it's still fully functional and working within this whales gutts. That's a HUUUGE FISH!

Poor Poor Figaro... he's a cat, cat's don't like water, and this poor adorable little kitten is swallowed up by a whale... irresponsible of Gippetto here.

The biggest thing a whale can swallow is a grapefruit.

Also, whales aren't fish.

*marine biologist hat on*

That's how it managed to swallow something bigger than a grapefuit. It wasn't a whale it was a big fish, such as with Jonah.

Forgot this was getting released:

AVtdQuMw

http://thealcave.blogspot.ca/2009/07/totoro-is-angel-of-death-wait-wha.html

It is saying that Totoro is in fact messenger of Death, and whoever sees him will soon die. The hospital that the sister's mother was in was based on a real hospital for terminally-ill patients.

Later in the story the villagers find a slipper in a pond, which is in fact May's, at this point she has already drowned in the pond. Satsuki lied that the slipper wasn't Mei's out of denial. Ever since this scene, the sisters appeared to have no shadow.

Satsuki pleaded the Totoro and the cat-bus to take her to where Mei is, while on the cat-bus, says "Nobody can see us...", this scene is Satsuki leading herself to the land of the dead (by taking the cat-bus).

At the hospital, the mother says "I think I feel May and Satsuki smiling there in that tree..." Why don't the sisters go and see their mom if they are already there? Why do they just leave the corn there instead? It is said that the sisters were dead at that point, and the Japanese pronunciation of "corn" is similar to "kill child".

The final scenes seem to be a happy epilogue, but they in fact happened "before" the major events in the movie.

The movie was set in a place in Japan where there was a case of murdering of two sisters which happened in the 60s. This event took place on May 1st, while the sister's names are Satsuki (May in Japanese) and Mei (May in English). In the real life case, the younger sister was missing first and the older sister was seen to be looking for her frantically. Next day, the younger sister's body was found in the forest (stabbed to death). The older sister was in such a state of shock and kept rambling ambiguous words about seeing a "cat monster", "great big racoon monster" etc to the police. The sisters were in fact from a single-parent family (mother died of illness).

You think that's irresponsible?

When I watched this with my son it was my first time in maybe 10 years watching this... was only now I realised how dumb was Gippetto to let Pinnochio go to school ON HIS OWN on his first day of "life"

I mean you'd think he would have gone to the school with him, made sure he got there (seriously how was he meant to know the way?) and maybe explained to the teacher how a wooden puppet can talk and walk. You know check with the school too that it would be ok to have him join... :heh:

No just give him an apple and a book and let him walk out the door on his own and hope he can find his way and enrol himself

Damn now I feel old :heh:

[phone]

With you being a big fan of 3G, I thought you would've been an early 4G adopter and want an LTE capable phone.

With you being a big fan of 3G, I thought you would've been an early 4G adopter and want an LTE capable phone.

I'm a fan of cheap, completely unlimited internet at good speeds. And with 3G speeds still increasing and coverage getting better, I see zero reason to change until regular contracts simply include it (with no extra costs or anything like that).

4G seems like the same stupid thing of increasing broadband speeds in fast areas while ignoring those with terrible connections.

I can get 100Mbps fibre at home. Due to prices and looking with what I actually need, I went with 14Mbps ADSL.