Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Spending Sprees

Ashley

An offshoot of PYP as it were.

You ever find that once you start spending you can't stop and then you regret it?

I've just purchased the newest issue of 3D World (£6) although that is essential for my course really, particularly this issue as there's a fair bit about animation (and its Toy Story 3 flavoured).

I want the SFX Anime special (anyone know how long that'll be on shelves for?) which is another £8. Got a book by Banana Yoshimoto as I've been meaning to check her out and it was "only about £3" (as I told myself). Want another book that is £5.50. I kind of want a new bag (or at least a less business-like one than my current) which is about £11.

Granted I've only got the first book and magazine so far but I can see myself buying the rest soon enough. I'm supposed to be saving for London! I need Jodie back in my life, she made it all seem better when she went off spending hundreds on clothes, shoes and underwear. Made me feel better anyway.

So what about you folks? Any purchases you can't really afford but want/convinced yourself to get?

I want a whole new wardrobe, most of my clothes currently either don't fit or are really old, I've not bought any clothes for about 6 months, if I have it's lost to my sister and her sneaky ways.

Eventually when I get a full time job I'll be completely selling all my wardrobe and start again from scratch.

I'd also like a flat to rent sometime for next may.

Plus horse riding lessons, which are £20 a week, ouch.

I find it hard to go on a shopping spree. :)

I'm definitely a saver and not a splasher of cash.

I mean I just went on a spending "spree" in terms of what I'm comfortable with the other day which was £12 for Whip It! That's enough to tied me over for ages.

Most of my money goes on travel expenses and my phone. :D (sometimes food on longer shifts.)

There are many things I'd like to buy and I do have the money to but since I don't see it as being necessary I'm just able to leave it.

Only games I have a bit less control over if I decide I suddenly want a game I will just go and buy it but I won't buy like 3, just one and nothing else for a month, really.

At Uni I loosen the purse strings a little. :p

This summer my big expenditures was when my friend came down for 3 days but I'd saved money for that and:

Miley Cyrus: Can't Be Tamed

Hannah Montana Season 3 Volume 2.

Dragon Quest 9.

Perfect Dark.

Whip It!.

Altogether that's about £70?, that's not too bad.

My wallet will cry after Disneyland Paris, I want a Lotso Huggin' Bear. :heh:

I'm pretty good at keeping myself from buying things all the time even when I have money. However, when I then go to buy something, I often let myself go and end up spending a lot.

Just recently I've bought wayyy to many things, and I'm pretty sure it stems from my boredom. Don't my school ever need substitutes teachers?

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane

Most of my expensive buys are usually sorta necessary ones. Like I had to buy glasses last week, which came to a ridiculous €209. =(

And then there's exercise stuff, which usually costs a ton too (had to buy a new aquagym subscription recently, and now have to buy one for the other exercise I do).

As for games and films etc, I'm usually pretty good. Though I did buy A Boy and his Blob this week, and two films (Mighty Ducks and Ducktales the Movie), though those were pretty cheap, or so I tell myself.

But yeah I go through spending phases and saving phases. Since I worked this summer and got a bit of money, I ended up spending more... though the stuff like the glasses was a necessary purchase (darn my eyes!).

I've been on a pretty big spending spree over the last month and I am not yet sure of exactly how much I've spent... 100s.:p I've bought a whole new wardrobe and I've spent quite a lot on Chinese learning material because I'm preparing for my HSK exam in October.

Lost my job last week, but I'm leaving the country for over a month on Saturday, so I've been planning for that.

Plus horse riding lessons, which are £20 a week, ouch.

That's not that bad actually. Of course I recommend having nothing to do with horses as the best course of action. Terrible animals.

I'm really stingy with my money, there are plenty of things I want and could afford (Zune PS3 Clothes) but I can't bring myself to get anything. So I don't do spending sprees so much as just impulse buy when I'm in town...which thankfully is rare.

Havent been on a huge spending spree in a while, cant afford it, barely afford to live at the moment (Tiny Violin playing)

however the worst spree i did was after the PSP was launched. I quite fancied one but was never desperate to have one, well my phone broke and i needed a new one, so went to the Mall, looking in phone shops at pricey phones but didnt get one, went to GAME and spent more on a PSP with a few games then i would have on a phone, i then went back to the Phone shop and just got a pay as you go crap thing for £30.

there was no need for the PSP purchase, none what so ever. i still have it and the only 3 games i now own for it are Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories and Loco Roco.

Yeah the PSP is pretty shit :p

I suppose my biggest spending spree was New York. Around £800 in a week. But its New York, you have to.

If i went to New York i can imagine i'd spend most of my money in the Nintendo Store :love:

That's not that bad actually. Of course I recommend having nothing to do with horses as the best course of action. Terrible animals.

No it isn't, it's quite cheap and they do lovely horse riding days in the hills and sights outside of sheffield, which is a beautiful area, I'm sorely tempted to consider it and just budget the crap out of everything so I can go once a month.

Hopefully when I get a bit more stable this will happen:

- I'll rent a gorgeous new flat for myself with no house mates whatsoever.

- I'll get a rabbit, an indoor one, which cost next to nothing to buy but a lot in vet fees etc through the year.

- New wardrobe

- Probably do more sports and stuff depending on what my work is like.

It's going to be awesome and crap next year, so many spending sprees but so little money will be left!

I tend to, once every couple of months, go mad and buy loads of xbox games. I must have a dozen that I've barely played and yet there's loads I still wanna get!

Currently I've been squandering money, slowly but surely, because I've not had to pay rent for two months and instead I've given myself a fairly large budget to fuck about with. Living at home sucks, I get no food provided so I buy it all myself and my cooking stuff is still in boxes so I can't cook from scratch so I just buy expensive stuff.

I like to go into charity shops and buy loads of books!

I want a new Car. It's not really a spree since it's one item, but it's so much money. I know I need it, mine's struggling to get around now, but it's so hard for me to finalise the decision and hand over all that cash. I am a procrastinator. I am a hoarder. I am a saver.

I'm getting better at holding on to money. With such a small budget, I kind of have to keep hold of it if I want to do anything. That's not to say I don't go crazy with it sometimes.

I'm very guilty of walking in HMV or any other music store and just picking up CDs by the load. The worst part is that cause I tend to spend so much time looking in them, different bands and artists continue to pop into my head so I go, 'Oh, I wonder if they've got anything by them' and so the amount of money getting spent spirals out of control. :bouncy:

I do feel another spending spree coming on though. There are several things I need for Uni this year, including the likes of a new laptop, clothes and having to buy SPSS, so I'm dreading how much that spree will cost me. Seriously considering taking out a student loan for it as I never took one out in the first place and the job hunt is giving me nothing so far.

I'm very guilty of walking in HMV or any other music store and just picking up CDs by the load. The worst part is that cause I tend to spend so much time looking in them, different bands and artists continue to pop into my head so I go, 'Oh, I wonder if they've got anything by them' and so the amount of money getting spent spirals out of control. :bouncy:

I find myself doing that as well very often. My problem though is that before I walk in I have a list of loads of albums I want in my head. My mind then suddenly goes blank and I come home, look in my shopping bag and think "why the hell did I buy these?"

My spending sprees will have to end for the time being since my job ended last week. I did buy an expensive set of drawers yesterday though, which is suckily practical.

I'm getting better at holding on to money. With such a small budget, I kind of have to keep hold of it if I want to do anything. That's not to say I don't go crazy with it sometimes.

I do feel another spending spree coming on though. There are several things I need for Uni this year, including the likes of a new laptop, clothes and having to buy SPSS, so I'm dreading how much that spree will cost me. Seriously considering taking out a student loan for it as I never took one out in the first place and the job hunt is giving me nothing so far.

You have to buy SPSS? The statistics package? Is that not mega expensive, or is there a student version you get? Is it a course requirement that you use it? The uni must have it on their computers if that is the case?

I'll soon be spending loads. :/

To buy, between me and my girlfriend:

Sofa (we're edging towards leather)

Dining table + chairs

Bed + mattress (can really only be a king with a comfort mattress, it's what I'm used to at home)

Computer desk + chair

TV Stand

Would have to buy an iron, ironing board and kettle but she's already bought those. Luckily we have fitted wardrobes so we won't need to buy one.

I'm bad with money as until next month or so, I've just received an allowance all my life, not having to support myself, as I lived at home throughout school, and then did my foundation course in Edinburgh, so lived at home obvs. I'd spend my money quite freely on things I want, like books, DVD's or CD's, but I do know that I can budget if I wanted to. I just haven't in ages. I'm incredibly stingy with things like bus fares and going into town. I hate the concept of paying to get into clubs, expensive drinks etc. That money could have bought me a movie or a book or something (or I could have just saved it). Even worse is when it's not even a notable night out.

I'm bad with money as until next month or so, I've just received an allowance all my life, not having to support myself, as I lived at home throughout school, and then did my foundation course in Edinburgh, so lived at home obvs. I'd spend my money quite freely on things I want, like books, DVD's or CD's, but I do know that I can budget if I wanted to. I just haven't in ages. I'm incredibly stingy with things like bus fares and going into town. I hate the concept of paying to get into clubs, expensive drinks etc. That money could have bought me a movie or a book or something (or I could have just saved it). Even worse is when it's not even a notable night out.

You have to embrace that living life costs money though.

I'll soon be spending loads. :/

To buy, between me and my girlfriend:

Sofa (we're edging towards leather)

Dining table + chairs

Bed + mattress (can really only be a king with a comfort mattress, it's what I'm used to at home)

Computer desk + chair

TV Stand

Would have to buy an iron, ironing board and kettle but she's already bought those. Luckily we have fitted wardrobes so we won't need to buy one.

Is it first house then dude?

it's surprising the little things that can be forgotten too.

When i moved with my girlfriend we got the big things, washing machine, cooker etc etc. But forgot clothes line, Kitchen Roll holder, Bread bin... the things that aren't completley necessary but helpful all the while.

Yeah, an appartment for when we start our PhDs in September. Luckily it comes with a fitted oven/grill as well as washer/drier, fridge/freezer etc.

I'll definitely put some pics up when we move in. Which isn't long now...15th September I think. Wahey. :)