N-Europe

Headphones - Cans or Buds?

Cube

What is better?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What is better?

• Buds
    • Cans
    • Are we talking weed and booze here? Wtf?

Like most things, the more expensive the better. There's no point talking about sound quality unless you have had a good pair, because you will honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

In the Apple store in New York City, the most impressive thing for me (bar just how quickly the employees go from smug to patronising when you respond to the question of "so, are you looking at getting a Mac, an iPhone or an iPod?" with "none - I've got a PC, an Android and a Zen", but that's another story - and a dislike - for another day) was just insanely good the sound quality through the Bose on-ear headphones was. I'd previously thought the on-ear model was the runt of the head/earphone family, but I now want a pair.

That said, my £25 Sony cans are amazing.

I've only ever had one pair of headphones, a $130 pair from an airport in New York city. I don't think they were that great in retrospect though..they broke easily (though that's a design issue/my sister took them on the trampoline with her), but they didn't feel as satisfying as I'd hoped.

I've been very happy with my little in-ear buds (can't remember what make), as I have such great Mac speakers for home that it's not a huge deal if it's not quite as good on the move. Plus they weren't iPod earbuds, which are shit.

But anyway. They just broke. :( So I need a new pair. I might ask for cans for my birthday.

My heeeaaaadphooneesssss.....

Thread-Rip, it be.

Essentially; people listening to loud music on the bus/train can be annoying. But sometimes I listen to my music loud and wish everyone on the bus could hear it and thought it was as awesome as I thought it was so we could break into a spontaneous Love Of Life and group-hug all our troubles away.

I forget whether merging the posts to this thread will make the moved posts come before this post, so maybe this will make no sense. Or maybe it'll make more!

I like in-ear bud 'phones because I can't afford the cans and I feel silly with them and it's harder to wear a hat/hoodie, and they take up more space and they remind me of hearing tests. I hate that weird non-noise that you get when you wear them. The sound of YOUR OWN EAR, or whatever.

I tend to lean towards in ear headphones, I don't enjoy having any other and sometimes it can get incredibly uncomfortable to wear cheap ones when I have piercings, like my skull candies, not the best for sound but definitely comfortable to wear and I don't like the look of them either, I think I saw one pair I really liked and they were an uncomfortable 60 odd pounds.

I use currently gummy headphones, work well on sound and are comfortable for like £8.

Damn, huh? How are you gonna get run over when you can hear the cars? :heh:

I don't understand the whole "if your music is too loud you'll get run over" crap. Does every deaf person get hit by a car whenever they cross the road?

I have both Cans and Buds. Both Sennheiser (don't remember what the buds are but the cans are HD555s). Had been using buds since I was in my early teens until I got my HD555s in 2009 and I prefer them much more than buds now. The sound quality is just incredible. So much so that I now wear them just about all the time now.

My buds are fine for wearing out in public but they irritate me as I can never get them to stay in for longer than 2 minutes at most because of how fast I am prone to walking. But then I rarely listen to music out in public. I kind of like listening to the world going by.

No, but you're still more safe in traffic if you can hear what's going on around you.

But you're also safer if you wrap yourself in layers and layers of bubble wrap...

Unless you're a complete retard listening to music should not alter your ability to cross a road.

But you're also safer if you wrap yourself in layers and layers of bubble wrap...

Unless you're a complete retard listening to music should not alter your ability to cross a road.

It's not expected of people to be wrapped in layers of bubble wrap, but it's expected of them to be able to hear the world around them. That's why cars have horns and bicycles have bells. Accidents happen where your ability to hear is the only thing that can save you from injury or even death. Robbing yourself of that ability simply to enhance your musical experience seems like a silly prioritization, to be honest. It's like not wearing a helmet because it looks stupid.

Buds are the best but I only wear one in one ear so I can still hear everything around me unless I'm running round the park or something. I don't really have it blasting either if I'm standing but if I'm running, I tend to have it louder.

I can understand using buds for being out and about due to size and less ridiculous looking, but I just don't like them. They don't sound good and they barely stay in my ears.

I think a good compromise between the two is something like these. Not necessarily wireless, but just a Supra-Aural that doesn't have the entire plastic head piece. Portable and good sound, although they can kinda pinch the ear.

Although, if I had a pair of these I'd wear them everywhere just to wear them. My Sony MDRs.....not so much.

ath_es7bk_2.jpg

It's not expected of people to be wrapped in layers of bubble wrap, but it's expected of them to be able to hear the world around them. That's why cars have horns and bicycles have bells. Accidents happen where your ability to hear is the only thing that can save you from injury or even death. Robbing yourself of that ability simply to enhance your musical experience seems like a silly prioritization, to be honest. It's like not wearing a helmet because it looks stupid.

Oooops, I do both :)

If I was slightly more trendy looking I'd wear cans. Unfortunately I am about as trendy as the Beano and therefore doomed to listen to my music through earbuds.

I'm a music coward anyway. I turn my nonsense shit down when anyone comes close by. Cans would mean I'd have to listen to my Japanese anime wailing and beautiful Celine Dion recordings at inaudible volume levels. With buds the shame is at least somewhat obscured.

Since getting some cans with my Creative, i find the sound quality to be clearer and better than what i have been able to get out of buds. Plus, the cans don't fall out of my ears every 2 minutes.

And plus, they are noise reduction as well. Which means, i cannot hear outside sound and no-one can hear my music externally. Keeps everyone happy.

If I was slightly more trendy looking I'd wear cans. Unfortunately I am about as trendy as the Beano and therefore doomed to listen to my music through earbuds.

I'm a music coward anyway. I turn my nonsense shit down when anyone comes close by. Cans would mean I'd have to listen to my Japanese anime wailing and beautiful Celine Dion recordings at inaudible volume levels. With buds the shame is at least somewhat obscured.

I think if you had Cans you'd be able to listen to music louder. Doesn't more sound escape from buds?

celine dion.....lol!

;)