Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats not actually a bad metaphor (analogy?). Religion is the pleasant odour you use to make reality more managable.

Ah, but, like all odours, what one person thinks smells nice, others may think it smells horrific.

Religion - a bit like an Ambi-Pur.

Ah, but, like all odours, what one person thinks smells nice, others may think it smells horrific.

Religion - a bit like an Ambi-Pur.

It only works every 15 or 30 minutes, unless you press the boost button.

What has that got to do with anything?

His toy is bigger than your toy, nah nah n-nah nah.

This is a couple weeks old but goddamn did I laugh,

Stephen Hawking both British and not dead

Obama health reform critics face inconvenient truth

In perhaps the most amusing effort to discredit US President Barack Obama's plan for nationalized health care - if not the most ridiculous - US financial newspaper Investor's Business Daily has said that if Stephen Hawking were British, he would be dead.

"The controlling of medical costs in countries such as Britain through rationing, and the health consequences thereof, are legendary," read a recent editorial from the paper. "The stories of people dying on a waiting list or being denied altogether read like a horror script...

"People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn't have a chance in the UK, where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless."

The paper has since been notified that Hawking is both British and still among the living. And it has edited the editorial, acknowledging that the original version incorrectly represented the whereabouts of perhaps the world's most famous scientific mind. But it has not acknowledged that its mention of Hawking misrepresented the NHS as well.

"I wouldn’t be here today if it were not for the NHS," Hawking told The Guardian. "I have received a large amount of high-quality treatment without which I would not have survived."

The best you can say about Investor's Business Daily is that unlike US radio talk host Rush Limbaugh, it has not compared Obama's health care logo to a swastika.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/12/hawking_british_and_alive/

I wonder if there is some sort of correlation between being un-religious and being grumpy. :heh:

Look, just because we don't all believe the great Wumbadum is going to save us with his MAGIC POWERS and OMNI-PRESENT ability to just NOT GIVE A CRAP, it doesn't mean WE'RE ALL GRUMPY, WUMBADUM-DAMMIT!

WHERE'S THE TYLENOL?

Facebook Farmville has 11 Million users

The rise of social gaming is happening more quietly than one might think given the statistics. Today we’re hearing about another potential milestone: Facebook application FarmVille claims to be the fastest growing social game in history, reaching an impressive 11 million daily users in a little over two months. To put that in perspective, World of Warcraft is the largest massively multiplayer game that dominates MMO marketshare with at last report 11.5 million active subscribers. Its publisher Blizzard hasn’t revealed any new population statistics since the end of last year, but assures the press that its figures are still growing. It took WoW four years to reach that many subscribers after its launch in late 2004.

Compare that to FarmVille, which only launched June 19 of this year. If its daily active stats are accurate, that would mean FarmVille is close to rivaling industry-leading World of Warcraft’s player numbers in only a little more than two months. Perhaps it has already eclipsed the elephant in the social gaming room if you look at its monthly stats, which boast 30 million active users.

Of course, it’s a little bit like comparing apples and oranges. WoW is an incredibly deep and detailed role-playing game often requiring exorbitant amounts of time to master and keep up with. FarmVille is a far more casual, pick-up-and-play for a few minutes type of virtual farm sim embedded in your Facebook page. It stands to reason that if you’re a Facebook user who plays the game, and you tend to check your Facebook account every day, you’ll probably spend at least a few minutes checking up on your virtual farm as well.

That’s exactly what the game’s developer, Zynga, is betting on. The largest social gaming company in the market to date, Zynga claims 27 million daily users across all its game titles on a multitude of social networks including Facebook, Myspace, Bebo, Hi5, and more, as well as on the iPhone.

FarmVille and many of its other titles make money through virtual goods sales, where players spend real dollars to buy virtual currency or items in the game. Virtual item sales are already an enormous market opportunity, with an estimated $2 billion in sales last year. And that number is expected to grow.

Do you play FarmVille or other social games on Facebook or other social sites? Do you think these kinds of casual games and the virtual goods sales business model will continue to grow on social networks? Let us know in the comments.

A shot might do you some good though.

I tried that FarmVille and got bored of it after a day or so. The occassional game of scrabble or those word-based games are alright but stuff like Mafia Wars and all that jazz. Meh. Too much commitment.

I'm disgusted.

"Wuthering Heights" now branded all over the cover as "Bella and Edward's favourite book!"

'Twilight'-branded 'Wuthering Heights': Love or loathe?

by Kate Ward

Categories: Book Covers, Classic Novels, News, Publishing Biz, Twilight, Vampires

twilight-bronte-covers_l.jpg?w=500&h=258

In hopes of taking advantage of the never-ending Twilight frenzy, HarperCollins decided to design a new cover for its paperback editions of Emily Brontë’s Wuthering Heights that’s inspired by the teen vamp franchise (as noted by Ron Hogan at the books blog Galleycat). Why, you ask? As all Twilight fans know, Brontë’s classic novel is Bella and Edward’s favorite book (duh!). Don’t believe me? Well, just look at the new cover, branded with the sure-to-pull-in-young-readers slogan, “Bella & Edward’s Favorite Book†(as well as the Team Edward appropriate tagline, “Love never diesâ€).

Though most people taking a first glance at the new cover might be overwhelmed with images of Brontë rolling in her grave, I can’t completely dismiss it. I’m always in support of corporate decisions that encourage young readers to pick up the classics, even if said decisions are likely inspired by moolah. And at least the U.S. cover is better than the U.K.’s (the middle one above), which features a font that I probably used while designing posters in seventh grade.

Are you shuddering, Shelf Lifers? Or do you see merits to the re-branding?

I know it'll only get more people reading, but the Twilight franchise is so offensive to me. UGH. Sullying actual literature with Stephanie Meyer's shit.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!