NEurope

Telegraph -

Shifa Patel, who dressed for work in a traditional hijab (head covering) and full-length robe, was targeted after photographs of her with short hair and wearing a shirt and trousers were copied from social networking site Facebook.

The photos were circulated among pupils at Al-Islah Muslim Girls' School in Blackburn, Lancashire, by email before it reached parents, who began to complain.

When Fatima Patel, the acting head teacher, heard the gossip, she sent a letter reassuring parents of Miss Patel's gender.

The secretary even underwent a medical examination to prove she was female and quell the rumours.

But when an angry mob of parents gathered at the school gates attempting to force their way in and demanding she be sacked, the secretary decided to hand in her resignation and the head also decided to quit in protest.

Miss Patel, who is 28, said: "I will never forgive those who did this to me and spread these lies.

"I have irrefutable medical evidence that I'm a woman. The people who have done this to me have hurt me so badly."

In some of the pictures Miss Patel is pictured alongside the acting headteacher.

Fatima Patel said: "When some parents approached me I said to them I will take the Quran in my hand and swear to tell the truth.

"But they were more concerned with getting a GP's certificate for Shifa. What does that say about some people?

"This incident has affected me and Shifa and it will take a lot to get her confidence back. We must add that some parents have come and supported us."

The private school has nearly 200 students and occupies the the first floor of a red-brick mosque in Blackburn.

It was established in 1995 by parents who were concerned about the state school environment and the effect it might have on their children.

The vast majority of pupils are girls, but some boys are admitted at primary level. All students must adhere to a strict uniform code.

Music is viewed as un-Islamic and GCSE students are taught Islamic studies, rather than religious education, and Arabic and Urdu instead of modern European languages.

The school's governing body said Shifa Patel's "unquestionable work ethic and professionalism had never been in doubt".

Sergeant John Rigby, of Lancashire Constabulary's minority team, said: "Police were called to the school after reports that people were trying to damage school doors.

"When we arrived a group of 10 to 15 people were outside the school.

"This is an entirely internal school matter and police were simply there to calm the situation down."

Nizamuddin Makda, 57, was one of the school’s founder members and its headteacher until January last year. He employed Shifa Patel as an administrator in 2003.

He said the photographs showed her with short hair in “manly clothes behaving like a man”.

Mr Makda said that, although she is a female, some parents were not sure of her gender after seeing the pictures. They marched on the school on Monday.

None of the school’s governors could be reached.

Wow at this stupidity!

What...what is this? What can we even call this? Is it politcal correctness, is it terrorism, is it pedophilia? Wtf, honestly. I just don't know who to be scapegoating!

Maybe the fact this was obviously a highly Islamic schooling system may have something to do with it. Her not wearing a hijab alone causes a lot of offence to some. And also this school sounds like it is run under Islamism, so...

So whats the problem? Why would it matter wehat her gender?

All i can say is sue the parents who slandered your good name.

Maybe the fact this was obviously a highly Islamic schooling system may have something to do with it. Her not wearing a hijab alone causes a lot of offence to some. And also this school sounds like it is run under Islamism, so...

Not really, Islam doesn't exactly force women to wear it, they choose to. Taking it off is nobody's business, which is why I think they were concerned more of whether or not she's a transvestite man who pretends he's a woman than a Muslim woman who took off her hijab.

So whats the problem? Why would it matter wehat her gender?

Because those parents are sexist/racist/beliefist/whatever and should be neutered at once.

" photographs of her with short hair and wearing a shirt and trousers were copied from social networking site Facebook. "

They do say clothes make the man.

Not really, Islam doesn't exactly force women to wear it, they choose to. Taking it off is nobody's business, which is why I think they were concerned more of whether or not she's a transvestite man who pretends he's a woman than a Muslim woman who took off her hijab.

Still, in this say and age thats allowed i think.

The parents were still ignorant and she deserves compensation for it.

Why are they even in this country? They clearly don't want to embrace any part of our society and just want to create their own. Why didn't they just stay in their own country where they can have that society?

Why are they even in this country? They clearly don't want to embrace any part of our society and just want to create their own. Why didn't they just stay in their own country where they can have that society?

They're here because they want to escape.

They're here because they want to escape.

Escape from what?

And surely there are plenty of muslim countries that are safe or whatever they are escaping from.

Actually, in many Muslim countries, it's illegal for women to be seen without one. In Islamic communities in the West, women without the hijab are frowned upon. It's meant to reflect the modesty of women.

And LOL at religious schools... just LOL. Most kids that go to religious schools don't believe half the crap they're taught, it's pointless putting something like religion at the top of the agenda.

Escape from what?

And surely there are plenty of muslim countries that are safe or whatever they are escaping from.

Poverty mostly, maybe persecution. Pick any country outside the Middle East or Africa and it's a safe bet that living there is a hell of a lot better because the economy isn't a joke and the corruption isn't as high. Take me for example, I dream of one day moving to the UK or US because I consider myself to be a cultural reject for living as an expatriate in my own country while having views drastically different from the majority of Arab Muslims.

Actually, in many Muslim countries, it's illegal for women to be seen without one. In Islamic communities in the West, women without the hijab are frowned upon. It's meant to reflect the modesty of women.

The only Muslim countries I can think of who enforce those rules are Saudi Arabia and Iran. As far as I know and from the countries I've been in, these are the only two that have these laws in effect. And I agree, Western Muslims do frown upon these sort of women, but then again that's all they can do. In Islam, we have a rule that says "let there be no hatred in enforcing religion". The only person who decides whether or not to it is right to wear a hijab is the person who's going to wear it.

The only Muslim countries I can think of who enforce those rules are Saudi Arabia and Iran. As far as I know and from the countries I've been in, these are the only two that have these laws in effect. And I agree, Western Muslims do frown upon these sort of women, but then again that's all they can do. In Islam, we have a rule that says "let there be no hatred in enforcing religion". The only person who decides whether or not to it is right to wear a hijab is the person who's going to wear it.

Oh, I see that rule clearly isn't relevant when people convert from Islam (apostacy) and are awarded the death penalty for such an act?

Islam is one of those religions that needs to be brought into the 21st century.

Religion just annoys the pants off me. Sinead O Connor earned my utmost respect when she said she's "Trying to save God from religion".

I understand that, but a lot of Islamism communities and organisations, often which run these Muslim schools, practice extremist views, such as women should wear hijabs all the time. This is in London right? I'm guessing this school has a large Hizb ut-Tahrir groupings who have a lot of influence.

Oh, I see that rule clearly isn't relevant when people convert from Islam (apostacy) and are awarded the death penalty for such an act?

Where the hell are you getting this information? People have been going in and out of Islam for years. I've seen plenty of people here in Egypt who've converted to Christianity as well as Athiesm (which is considered worse). The only thing close to what you're saying was a story I read in the paper about a man in Saudi Arabia who openly announced his conversion to Christianity. The worst that had happened to him was that he was exiled.

Islam is one of those religions that needs to be brought into the 21st century.

It's strange how people seem to forget that if it weren't for the golden age of Islam the 21st century would be terribly different.

I understand that, but a lot of Islamism communities and organisations, often which run these Muslim schools, practice extremist views, such as women should wear hijabs all the time. This is in London right? I'm guessing this school has a large Hizb ut-Tahrir groupings who have a lot of influence.

Sure, but they're pretty much a minority here, save Saudi Arabia. The reason why extremists outside the Middle East are so abundant is because they feel a need to preserve their Islamic identity, and the only way to do so in a country where they feel outcasted is by enforcing their practices beyond their limits. Makes sense when you think about it.

Sure, but they're pretty much a minority here, save Saudi Arabia. The reason why extremists outside the Middle East are so abundant is because they feel a need to preserve their Islamic identity, and the only way to do so in a country where they feel outcasted is by enforcing their practices beyond their limits. Makes sense when you think about it.

So you're saying that muslim's in non-muslim country's (generally) follow the rules more strictly?

So you're saying that muslim's in non-muslim country's (generally) follow the rules more strictly?

Generally, yes. The rest either do an adequate job at keeping in pace with their practices or forget about it all-together. I take it Shifa comes from one those groups who keep it strict.