N-Europe

Change

Aimless

Yes, me again. And no, I've no idea what's brought on all the thread creation following a near 3-year period of abstinence.

Anyway, don't you hate it when you make a purchase and the person behind the till puts the coins on top of the notes when handing back what you're owed? So you're there juggling your shopping in one hand whilst attempting to slide loose change into the coin compartment of your wallet by tilting your other palm like one of those ball-bearing maze games, all the while having to carefully weave between other bustling shoppers. Infuriating.

That has nothing to do with this thread, I just needed to get it out there.

So, change. Have you changed since joining the forum? Not necessarily due to this place — although bonus points if it was— but in the time you've been a member¹. If you have, how do you feel about it: was it for the better or the worse?

You might have gone through a scenic change, such as moving to another country or heading to university; perhaps a social change, leaving old friends behind and making new ones. Perhaps you've noticed your point of view changing over the time you've been a member, or, hell, perhaps you simply dress differently. Whatever the difference, write it, and your thoughts, in this thread.

I know it's generally the thread creator's duty to lead by example, but frankly I've bored you enough over the last few days. So, instead of me waffling on I'll hand over to...

¹If you want to count the Xsorbit days then go ahead, although be sure to remove your rose-tinted spectacles on the way out; they aren't prescription and you'll walk into something.

I think it makes sense to put the coins on top. The notes are kinda wrapped around it, protecting it from getting lost. I like it when people take care in giving me my change.

Wow, never thought I'd say any of that. How civilised we have become on KNEE.

I've definitely changed. At the start of it all, I was quite naive and pretty damn stupid. If I could back in time and kick my own arse, I would.

I think I've matured a lot over the years, I bluddy hope so anyway. Looking back at older photos of myself, I like the way I look and the way I come across more now than I did back then.

A lot has happened over my time at N-E/R-E/C-E. NERECE! Haha, it sounds like Neresy, which is a bit like Heresy. Heh.

But yeah, a lot has happened. There have been many Mrs. LiNks over the years, one or two have stuck, the rest maybe not much so. But, its all been an experience. I don't think my life would have been anywhere near the same had I not joined this place.

A lot has changed, but also a lot has stayed the same. It's been an honour working with the staff and being at first a mod, and then an admin for this place. They were the glory years for me, and I would still draw blood for this place like I did back then. That hasn't changed.

I don't have the energy to get really deep into something like this right now, and since I've only been here about a year and a half I don't think too much has happened to change me.

But then again maybe thats the problem?

I've not actually been here very long, I think the reason I did stay was because when I asked for help with the wifi dongle I was surprised to get nice answers. It seems rare to have a mostly nice forum.

I've changed alot of the years it's fair to say, I used to be very antisocial, mostly because of friends I used to have, I can honestly say they wouldn't be classed as friends to anybody else because of how horrible they were, so I'm glad I have learnt not to accept that kinda crap no more.

My appearance has changed dramatically, my hair has for the most part become alot shorter and it was probably the best change I ever made.

There's alot more, but I would only like to share a part of it, which is the part of me that hasn't changed at all! xD

Since I joined the forums after several years of just reading them on the day C-E became Revo-E, I feel I've changed quite a lot - I'm now a bit less rabidly atheistic (bet you all saw that one coming...), a bit more rabidly liberal, a lot more cynical of Nintendo, I've finished school (woo!), and I have a green name.

Also, said green name has lead to me being fairly high up on Atari's list of people who need to suddenly disappear, so it's entirely possible this time tomorrow I'll be in the infamous pit in the desert in the US where all the unsold copies of E.T. went.

I've also aged by several years, which is to be expected, a fact currently prominent in my mind as tomorrow is my 18th birthday. :D

Yes, me again. And no, I've no idea what's brought on all the thread creation following a near 3-year period of abstinence.

Anyway, don't you hate it when you make a purchase and the person behind the till puts the coins on top of the notes when handing back what you're owed? So you're there juggling your shopping in one hand whilst attempting to slide loose change into the coin compartment of your wallet by tilting your other palm like one of those ball-bearing maze games, all the while having to carefully weave between other bustling shoppers. Infuriating.

That is so annoying! I always ALWAYS end up dropping my coins resulting in me scrabbling about the floor under peoples legs...

Not fun. :p

Anyway change. I have definately changed. I may have only joined just over a Year ago but not sure I'd do with out N-E now. :heh:

It has given me a lot more confidence. :D and I have gained some friends. (I feel. :p)

I'm more out going than last year. I would not have posted on the internet like I am know or talk to people I'd never met over msn and the like.

Everyone on here is friendly. I guess I trust the Internet a lot more than I used to. Though I still am cautious, as you have to be. : peace:

In "real life!" (silly term!) Not much has changed for me so far. Apart from the new gained confidence I have. I'm still my usual self. Perhaps happier than last Year. I think I love videogames more? if that were possible.

Same school. Same House. Same friend. :)

Oh god my life sounds boring....

Trust me it's better than it sounds! :grin:

I think i've changed quite abit since i joined C-E. I used to judge people alot more than i do now, although i blame where i live for that. I've also become quite alot thinner (I'm still a distance from actually being thin though) and taller. I've also become a slight bit more confident.

There's a thread in the movies section of another site (Chairdriver and ReZ know this) dedicated to Prince Caspian, the second Narnia film.

It quickly turned into a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG-running religion-based discussion, a topic banned on said site. I think they've let it slide due to it all being civil, so that's cool.

That changed me. I understand what they're on about more, obviously, but I still find it all to be utterly ridiculous. However, after venting my various mad rantings about how only I exist and I can't die, or the universe ends too, I've been far more settled in myself. I'm still shit-scared of death/terrifed that there is nothing, but I don't seem as preoccupied with it anymore, so that's good.

I still can't help laughing everytime someone references the Bible as any "evidence" of God's existance though. :)

---

Also, I was a complete arse when I first joined that site, same with Chairdriver. We've infamously come back and proven ourselves after being banned many times. From being dodoriazarbon and chairdriver to Pashmina and Amora's_Best_Friend! :D

Example of my behaviour;

I have this amazingi ide a!

Actually on second reassessing of my life i don't

Im lovin Heroism if you captivate my thoughts on this matter, but im not sure about hit and run - maybe a feat card (like pounceeeeeeeee)

well gottga runn a ya n o what im meaning (inseart crazy gypsy accent)

-----

uh..ye super-man is just..ugh. ..ugh. He s just too like in ani ate aand cardboard you catch my cake ate it too i know it was you braidy u shady lady

lalalalaalaalalal eklektyra just wastes food from garage in maryland

bye"!!!!!

----

Dear madams and sir s

I regret to a aanan announce that you are CYBER-ABUSERS because u ar making fun of an obviously inferior being. But remember,

3.....2.....1 peo-le ar all de smae and we should be judged by wot we do (so sont lok at me) ye ye ye ye

(sung to the the tune of Dolly partons " 9to 5" versus Dx junkie oo-aaaaaaaaa yyyyye 's " i hate u")

llllloooooollllllll big me up

I think I was slipped something in my food at the time.

I disagree about the change thing. The note adds a nice slope for your change part of the wallet compared to the lumpy texture your hand would provide if you were to cup it. Then the note can be easily stored. If you were given the note on top of the change in your right hand, you've got to hold your wallet in your left hand and try putting a note in using only the tip of [some] fingers whilst clamping the coins with your palm.

I know I have changed a lot during the past year. I went from "Folkeskolen" to "Gymnasiet" (one level up on the education scale here in Denmark), and that has affected me greatly. I really found my place in the world, and I have grown a lot personality-wise. I'm more open, less judging, more impulsive and more carefree. These are things I have had problems with in the past, but now it's gotten a lot better. I also practiced karate for half a year (I couldn't continue, even though I wanted to, due to time constraints), and that has also been a factor in my personality development. It also motivated me to finally become more physical and has resulted in me actually enjoying PE class.

My time on the N-Europe forums has also changed me, primarily in the way that I've met new people. People with new opinions that I've had to try to understand, but also people who I've become friends with. Also, being active on the forums has kept my English skills up, both in holiday times and during the first half year of Gymnasiet, in which I had an English teacher who wasn't very good at English.

About the "change" thing, I must admit I really haven't noticed. I stretch out my hand, the shop assistant puts the money in it, I let the coins slide into the coin department and then fold the notes and put them into the note department.

As far as the money thing goes; everyone who serves knows that (as they will have been on the receiving end) but it really is the easiest and quickest way to give someone money. People can be real faffy putting money away so if you were to give them coins, then notes, then receipt it would take some people five minutes.

Anyway change. Coincidentally enough someone asked me today why am I so cocky to which I responded it stops me from being the unsure-of-myself person I was back in the day. The cockiness is in part an act and in part realisation that I am awesome. It came in stages really but a big help was moving out of home and away from my family. Which brings me to;

I am also more relaxed and happy as of late. Since quitting work (ignoring this summer stint) I have felt...well, relaxed and happy as I said. As much as parts of me miss it (and the money) I had fun in those two months I had off (other than the life-threatening peril).

I was 15 or so when I joined N-E. I pretty much did all my growing up since then, big change there.

Also, yeah, I hate when the people behind the till do that. It just isn't practical!

When I joined this site (C-E back then), the gamecube was yet to be released, and I had just started at secondary school. I'm now about to go into my second year of university. That amount of time and variation in circumstances is bound to change anyone, I suppose I'll have a go at explaining how.

For a start, I was a total nintendo fanboy back then. I was also an idiotic poster - for instance, I remember making a poll along the lines of "Can you ride on yoshi in Mario Sunshine? yes/no" way before the information was known. I also constantly tried to be funny the whole time, and probably came across as a bit of an annoying n00b. Now... well, it's up to you whether or not you still think I'm an annyoing n00b. :heh:

As for real life, I've obviously grown up a bit, and learnt more. I think I've also become more independent, and more competent socially. I suppose I'm also probably happier now - my life is great at the moment. :smile:

Guest Jordan

I joined C-E back in 2001. That being 7 years ago, alot has changed since then.

I grew up, lost weight, moved country, got my own place, got a girlfriend, got a full time job, play less computer games (well... its more due to the fact i don't have the fucking time anymore!!).

When i first joined, i was an annoying little shit. I'm slightly less annoying these days.. Just slightly. Did i see these changes 7 years ago? Hell no.

Alot has changed for me. I moved to manchester, got a degree at uni there, got a girlfriend, moved in with her, moved down south with her to bournemouth and got a job writing about videogames (all thanks to this place... *sniff*). I've been engaged, then not. I've been in three different houses, i've gotten taller, and sadly a little fatter, but im pretty much the same person personality wise.

I've only been here on the forums for just over a year and a half, so not had as much time as you guys have.

Even so, I'd say I've changed. Maybe not due to the forums, maybe so. When I first joined it was just before the Wii was coming out and I loved these forums after I found them because everyone was so nice and down to earth, and it had such a nice wide range of conversation topics! Like actual intelligent topics like this one! I loved posting, and I loved getting to know all the different people on the forums, experiencing a wide range of different views and opinions. I'd say since then, I've gotten much more aware of the fact that an opinion is an opinion, and that I can very rarely be 100% in anything I do, say or think.

I think with that, I've gotten more patience too, I still have a short temperament but I think it's not quite as short as it used to be, and I've got some more restraint upon myself. I've gotten more honest, I'd like to think I've become a nicer and better person, I've mature. As for change though, I think it's something that happens all the time. I'm currently becoming a much different person to who I was even just two months ago(no longer in uni, have to start thinking about life and a purpose etc) and on top of which someone has come into my life much more in the last few months and given me an absolute shakeup on my worldview of certain aspects, made me question a ton of things I'd never questioned before. It's not been easy, it's been quite hard and hurt too, but it's been amazing and feels worth it because I feel I'm changing to be a better person. I just hope I'm not lying to myself though.

But yeah, change is good, in you or on top of a note(i think it's most sensible tbh). I think sometimes we CAN change for the worse, but most of the time change is for the better, it's maturing(something which i dont think ever stops), learning and experiencing more about the world and gaining more knowledge and wisdom. It's becoming a better person.

Hmm, I don't remember when I joined this site actually. =(

I remember lurking for ages, and signing up but barely posting at first, but I really can't remember -when- that was.

Anyway, things have changed in my life yes. I went to study animation after secondary school, but after almost three years quit and changed into graphics design (where I just finished my second year). I think that was a good and very much needed change in my life.

I've loved, been loved and lost love. Got to say goodbye to loved ones, see friends move into different directions in life.

Personality wise, I think I've gotten a tiny bit more confident, a bit more open. I'm still shy, very much so, but taking that course for shy people helped me. Not so much the stuff we did there (talking, doing certain role play things, reading stuff etc.), but I realized that there are a lot of people out there who are a lot more shy than me, a lot of them adults even. I felt out of place, which made me think that I'm not as shy as I made myself believe. And that has helped. =)

The change thing is basically the only practical solution. If you put the notes on top, they could get blown away whereas the change holds it down. And then if you use the note to slide money down into your change pocket it makes it all so simple.

I've changed mainly due to college. After going to a place where people didn't know what I used to be like (glasses, braces etc) I was able to be more like what I wanted rather than hidden in a shell. I also made lots of new friends who have changed me immensely.