N-Europe

Accents

Dyson

Becky was Welsh, therefore had a Welsh accent.

Howm. :(

I'm originally from South Wales, but my Grandmother, who I live with, is from Manchester, so I have a mostly Mancunian type voice (Northernish) with some traces of South Walian speak in there.

My friends have started to take the piss out of me when I say "by here." Or rather, "by yer" as I say.

"yeah, I'm just gonna look in the shops, and I'll meet you lot by yer later."

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love all accents, but my favourites have to be the New Zealand and the Northern Irish accents. for those who can't tell the difference between an Australian and Kiwi accent (few people will admit to it) Kiwis pronounce "I's" like most English people pronounce their "U's", so words like "fish" become "fush", and "milk" sounds like "muwlk".

I have a rural Oxfordshire accent, which sounds like a cross between a near West-Country accent (Wiltshire etc) and a mild cockney accent. "Bible" becomes "boibuwl" and "down" verges on the "day-urn".

It's amusing that I have no idea what most of these accents sound like. Having lived in Florida all my life, I know basically English and Irish when it comes to Europeans--Caribbean and Latin American accents I know much better. Can barely tell apart Irish and Scottish (but apparently nobody understands that).

I just have the typical general American accent, though my girlfriend says every once in awhile she hears a bit of a Cuban accent thrown in (I am Cuban, so makes sense). I like a lot of the European accents I've heard; they sound more refined. Can't stand the southern American accent.

Teesside accent here, but most people can't distinguish between Teesside/Geordie/Mackem.

I love the North East accent in general, and girls with broad Scottish accents are great (East>West), but a Brummie accent makes people sound like they're thick.

Mine is a Scottish dialect, mix between Glaswegian and Edinbronian (!?!). My friend from Devon who moved up here a few years ago has an awesome accent, I always start pissing myself when he says "five" or anything that rhymes with "high".

I have a totally bizarre mixture of accents. So much so that many people can't tell where I'm from. Mainly though it's a mixture of RP, Oxford and Glaswegian thrown in just thoroughly confuse things. My sister on the other hand has a right cockny geezer London accent with things like "a'wight" and "Daan Saif" for down south. Frankly I find the Northern Ireland accent sexy as hell, followed by the west Scotland accent, RP and Welsh.

Nobody "doesn't" have an accent. Otherwise you don't have a sound that happens when you use your vocal chords. Me, I lived in Somerset for the first few years of my life, so I started out with a West Country accent, but it's become more North Eastern, as I've lived up here for the last eighteen years or so. My dandy voice makes the most anti choice granny's panties moist.

I just have a normal southern accent I guess, maybe sometimes break into a South East London tone with some of the things I say etc.

People only really notice when you're on holiday and they are like hi, I take it you're from London. Umm yeah thanks for noticing.

Sometimes people try too hard to be London or cockney and I find it hilarious.

It´s quite hard for a Finn like me to learn to speak GOOD English because compared to just about any other language Finnish sounds really monotonic. If I spoke English as I speak Finnish, it´d sound boring so I simply need to exaggerate the spelling of every word to make it sound "right".

I´m not sure what accent my English sounds like but I´m trying not to sound like a typical Finnish.

Teesside accent here, but most people can't distinguish between Teesside/Geordie/Mackem.

I love the North East accent in general, and girls with broad Scottish accents are great (East>West), but a Brummie accent makes people sound like they're thick.

are you kidding me? those stupid mackems are easily distinguishable ' supa dupa computa'

Have a look at this website:

http://www.bl.uk/learning/langlit/sounds/index.html

They've catalogued a lot of the British regional accents and placed them according to geographical distribution. What's interesting to me is the accent of the guy from Banbury, a half an hour drive from me, which has strong brummie tones in some of the vowels. In Witney or Oxford there's no such influence.

I talk alot, so arguably love the sound of my voice, but I hate hearing it on a recording or something. As for what kind of accent I have? Well, of course, I'd say I don't have one! I guess, being as I was born and raised here, it'd be a south east london kind of accent. Bit like what McMad described, I miss t's in words.

I do quite love a posh kind of english accent, recieved pronounciation is it? Non english, italian and french accents are pretty cool, and greek actually...and maybe spanish. I love meeting people with different accents!

I don't know where my accent is from. It's different from people in my town which is also different to the rest of the county which is strange because I've never lived anywhere else. It's close to my Dad's except he pronounces words like "cook" as "cuke", which he obviously does on purpose.

Greater Greater Dublin Irish accent is all I can say. :P

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!