N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

I loved Wanted, it was so over the top it was brilliant for it. It was clever once or twice but for the most part it wasn't trying to be intelligent or have any deeper meaning other than making you respond with intellectual phrases like "haha, awesome lolz". On top of that it was much more abstract than I was expecting, with a fight-club esque narrative and some surreal sound and special effects, which made it pretty refreshing. It was no groundbreaker but personally I think it suffered a lot from having a couple of bad reviews and everyone else jumping on the bandwagon. tl dr bottom line: it was fun and it put that over being intelligent.

Duel

My dad first showed me this movie over a decade ago, and I've always liked it. Such suspense built up, and an interesting sense of paranoia and eventual return-to-earth moment when reality hits and the means maybe don't outweigh the ends.

or something. Yeah, I wish this was in the movie club as it's well worth seeing.

(In case you didn't know, Duel is a Spielberg movie about a dude in a car being relentlessly taunted, chased and harassed by an 18-wheeler tanker accross a long highway. Check it out.)

I watched that last night too! I've never seen it before and I really enjoyed it. Extremely suspenseful, I was a bag of nerves. I love that alot of it is just one man's thoughts.

At the end, every time he closed his eyes with relief I was so scared the man would be climbing up the cliff. It's like, you know he wouldn't survive that but you're still suspicious. Well I was anyway.

After watching it, I believe that people who don't like it have no Awe bone. Wanted is in teh vein of Shoot 'Em up, the Transporter movies and general action-fest stuff. I still don't see what was so bad about it. It was cool.

I'm all up for stupidity and shit blowing up but it just wasn't that entertaining. I hate James McAvoy. He is about as cool as my foot.

Transporter was much better.

Like I said, I like mindless films. I thought the new Hulk film was pretty good even though everyone was slating it...although my one massive problem with that was that the Hulk was never really that angry...more like emo Hulk.

V for Vendetta

Yeh... it wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. Confining the main protaginist to only attack on November 5th was a strange concept and it doesn't really translate to the movie well because you have this inbetween bit that needs to be filled and indeed it was, was a pap backstory and Stephen Fry being bludgeoned and hooded. The bit with the dominoes being toppled to reveal the logo was sweet. Could have done with a bit more action for my liking. As a comic book adaption it wasn't bad but then I haven't read the comic so I don't know if it's true to it or not. There have been worse DC comic films than this anyway.

V for Vendetta

I thought it was rather great. The acting was good, the storyline was good and I loved the characters.

8/10

I'm gonna git you sucka

Funny movie, some parts were funny yet some parts weren't. But still, a great movie

7/10

The Tempest (Derrick Jarman's)

7.5/10

Interesting, to say the least. Some good ideas tossed about, nice style, erotic atmosphere...that said, I don't think it actually DID very much with or for the story itself.

Twilight

5.9/10

MUCH better than I expected. The leads actually acted well! And it has lovely cinematography in the beautiful setting of wherever-the-hell-they-were..the grey foresty bits in the US. With all the tall trees.

Rubbish story though...and I hated the fact it's a Mormonic (Moronic?) allegory.

I liked the fact the the "family" wasn't cliched-ly living in a mansion, all dressed in black. They (the mum in particular) had fun with their lives.

X-Men 2: X-Men United

8.9/10

Still the most "perfect" comic adaptation, IMO. Not better than Dark Knight, but it nailed it, for the X-Men. Only smalle changes I would have made, like getting Rogue/Iceman into the field properly...but no...still excellent.

I wish they had made room for Colossus in that film. He's by far one of the best characters in the books and it's a shame they couldn't fit him in.

He's fine where he is, in that they couldn't just throw him in the jet for the finale with Rogue and Iceman. But I suppose it was a build-up for X3 (in which he also does VERY little...:heh: )

I just wished they'd shoehorned some kinda clip to do with the children of the school training in their own personal X-Men suits in the danger room or something. I mean, we Siryn in X2 do her thing sort of, and we saw the danger room in X3, but it would have been awesome to just have main characters walking past a viewing gallery where Jubilee, Siryn and whoever else are bashing robots or whatever. :heart:

Godzilla (original)

Awesome. Even though im writing an essay about its political messages (essentially) it still suprised me how political it was. While the SFX may seem a bit outdated (being 54 years old and all...) still Godzilla was kind of...menacing. But being the cool person I am I gave him speech.

Godzilla appears from behind mountain

Godzilla: S'up bitches?

Much better :p

He's got a plenty big part in the Wolverine movie, looks fairly cool too.

I always thought a bigger shame than Collossus was Jubilee's ommission from the X movies. Mainly because she's actually there, she was cast and is named in the film, but they cut/deleted all the scenes where she uses her fireworks. At least we got to see Collossus go all steely and he got a poster-part in X3.

He's got a plenty big part in the Wolverine movie, looks fairly cool too.

I always thought a bigger shame than Collossus was Jubilee's ommission from the X movies. Mainly because she's actually there, she was cast and is named in the film, but they cut/deleted all the scenes where she uses her fireworks. At least we got to see Collossus go all steely and he got a poster-part in X3.

Yeah, she had that firework scene (minor as it was) cut from the Museum scene in X2, which felt a bit pointless...it's not like it would have dragged it down or anything. They name her later on, and she's standing around in a few scenes, so to have note properly would have made a bit more sense.

I watched,

The Island: (at school)

Not bad not great.

Story was decent enough but he didn't take it anywhere and ended up with big action scenes instead, which were fine to watch but I wanted a bit more of the story as I felt the initial premise was interesting. The ending was almost cringeworthy. :p

First movie I saw with Scarllet Johansson in as well. :)

3 Bears out of 7.

American Beauty

I watched this a week late for the club...

Anyway, it was hilarious! I laughed so much. :D

It was also amazing, I loved everything about the movie and could easily watch it again right now!

The acting was brilliant and it presented real life in a sort of cartoon fashion which was great. :)

6 and a half Bears out of 7. :grin:

Ninja Cheerleaders

Yesterday I was in the mood to watch a terrible movie so I've started up my own little thing called BAD MOVIE SUNDAY each week I will watch one bad movie. Just like I used to on Channel 5 when I was younger. May not be every week as I will probably forget. It is just the kind of thing to do on a Sunday as they are usually pointless days for me! :heh:

Ninja Cheerleaders is the first of these and it was brilliant. :grin:

Exactly what I was looking for poor acting, ridiculous storyline, bad camera work. :D

To summarise the plot it is about this Girls who are ninja's but also cheerleaders for some reason. They want to go to Uni and are really clever but foe some other reason they work at a strip club to get some money which is owned by some chinese gang lord who is their friend. He gets kidnapped and some terrible fighting scenes ensue. These include fights with Sailors, some people who look like extras from the Men in Black and some amazing fight at the end between the old chinese dude and this random woman who suddenly appears. Also they must of had some special effects money to use up as they suddenly made the swords electric for the final showdown!

I could of done with a few more laughs but not a bad start. :)

1 and a half Bears out of 7.

Godzilla (original)

Awesome. Even though im writing an essay about its political messages (essentially) it still suprised me how political it was. While the SFX may seem a bit outdated (being 54 years old and all...) still Godzilla was kind of...menacing. But being the cool person I am I gave him speech.

Godzilla appears from behind mountain

Godzilla: S'up bitches?

Much better :p

I always thought the orginal message was a warning of using atomic weapons lest nature seek revenge in the form of a giant monster.

I always thought the orginal message was a warning of using atomic weapons lest nature seek revenge in the form of a giant monster.

Things I noticed (from watching and further reading)

1) The dangers of atomic weaponary

2) Government concealing secrets (as they have been accused of doing in WW2)

3) The need to embrace the past to build a future

4) Self-sacrifice/kamikazing

5) The uslessness (relative uselessness anyway) of the military

6) Godzilla = America

7) How defenseless Japan really is (as its a small barriorless island)

And maybe other stuff but im sleepy.

Children of Men

I liked in places, loved it in others. It slowed a little too much in places for my liking though. Also, the ambiguous ending annoyed me. Also annoyed one of the characters wasn't in it for as long as I expected. They could have developed them so much more.

Get Smart

I expected this to be abysmal, but it actually worked rather well. The two leads worked well together, and Hathaway saved the movie throughout tbh. I laughed a few times, and it didn't bore me in the slighest. I'm not suprised it was such a big hit. I'll definitely go see the sequel when it comes out.

The Invasion

Like I have said before, I do not get that hate this movie recieved and why it bombed so massively. I love it. Good story, some good performances, and some great tense moments.

Get Smart

I expected this to be abysmal, but it actually worked rather well. The two leads worked well together, and Hathaway saved the movie throughout tbh. I laughed a few times, and it didn't bore me in the slighest. I'm not suprised it was such a big hit. I'll definitely go see the sequel when it comes out.

This was a hit? God, I hated this film. I tried so much to like it (because I wanted my money's worth), but in the end it just annoyed me and bored me to no end. Didn't even find it very funny. So yeah, I really disliked it.

I guess it's more aimed at a younger audience (teens), and I've never been a fan of teen movies that try to be funny, so I guess that's why...

Lord Of The Rings Trilogy

I've been meaning to rewatch these for sometime, and it might've been the pr0 debate which sparked it into gear. It takes the long long descriptions and just gives them pure visual, so you don't get bored halfway through reading what colour someones' sword looks like.

Tis an entertaining set of movies, albeit a trifle long. I don't think the doovdés I have are the extended versions, being 2hr 50, 2hr 50, 3hr 12 [ish] for the 3 films. I was quite surprised they seemed to have cut the parts where Frodo and Sam started bumming oneanother, because it was on the cards 100%. Did it happen in the extended versions?

I'm not sure what they'd get individually, but altogether... I think Nine Shabba's

shabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpg

shabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpg

baraka

Too tired to go into more detail; it was like Koyanisqaatsi, only way more depressing. The ultimate 'uplifting' message seemed to be "... all this, but the greater forces of the planet and the universe are still out there, dwarfing our immorality and our preciousness". Those POOR CHICKS. Seriously, I'm abstaining from chicken for now.

I've got Chronos here, and Naqoyqaatsi back in sheffield to watch next up.