Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

Blazing Saddles

Comedy perfection, this. Classic Brooks send up of the Western, racism and just about anything that gets in his way. I was raised on this film and I've probably seen it about 30 times. Genius.

Brooks' best flick. : peace:

Anywho, after a long absence...

Dekalog

HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHIT!

10/10

EDIT:

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

A marvellous spectacle of entertainment. Miles better than the first, as it actually feels pertinent, despite it's many flaws.

6.5/10

(Just for comparison fees, Hellboy = 4.5/10).

This thread reminded me that I had to watch Lost in Translation

And it was fantastic. Subtle and somewhat minimalistic, with a tasty atmosphere throughout. The ambiguous relationship between the two leads was great. Oh and the music! Ahh good film

9 / 10

EDIT: Hang on wut?? Says IMDB trivia (Yep, I'm that bored)

The kiss between Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson at the end of the movie was not in the script, but was an "in the moment" ad-lib between the performers.

Well that changes how I look at things

Death Race 2000

An entertaining B-movie. The characters and lines are badly written in an entertaining way and the cars are brilliant. Playing the scenes at higher speeds than they were shot at, adds to the fun. It still had some solid background on the totalitarian regime and the rebels.

5/10

Graduation

Four teens decide to rob a bank to get the money one kid's cancer stricken mother needs. Kinda loose plot (both the narrative and their scheme because come on if it succeeds wouldn't a hospital be suspicious that just after a bank robbery a high schooler can suddenly afford $100,000?).

Still, the ending arc was different from what I expected and not too bad. Plus Chris Lowell in underwear :p

7?

As I've been ill I've just watched films for the past two days...

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1-3

TMNT 1 was a great, great popcorn movie with some brilliant emotional points powered by an engaging, solid story which linked to the comic books well. 9/10 :D

TMNT2: The Secret of the Ooze, was more of a comedy, quite poor compared to the original with bland fight scenes, yet it still had it's moments of quality. No Casey neither :( 6/10

TMNT 3: Turtles in time. This was awful. Truly atrocious. Seemed like a cheap Japanese action flick. The story was too poor for a movie as it took the turtles away from the city! This was then backed up by awful acting and a complete ignorance to the previous films. Casey returned though! 4/10.

Zohan:

Better than I thought. Chucklesome in parts and downright "roffles!!" in others. Saddler does it again: Creates a lite comedy built around bizarre situations and pulls it off with aplomb. Give the man an oscar! A chocolate one.

Destined for all teen DVD collections alongside his other 'works' 7/10.

The X-Files (1998 original):

Seemed to be awesome until just over half way through then the plot just seemed to fall apart. Overly complex, overly spread out and should have just been a two-part TV show. Great acting as ever from the leads though. (As minimal as it is).

Good job it makes you feel "clever" just by watching it... 6/10.

Prom Night:

Awful. I'd rather eat pure lead than watch this again.

If only real proms were as murderous as this one the world would be a better place.

2/10. The 2 is for E Y E candy alone.

Anchorman:

Wanted to see what the fuss was about. Best quote for me "Milk was a bad choice".

Other than that I wasn't too impressed. Seems like a good "We're drunk, get it on!" movie to watch when your younger. Definately has moments of comedy gold in there "Carrell with the grenade lol?!" I guess the more you watch it the better it gets.

A real marmite film. 7/10

I was lying in bed at 1:30 and needed a no nonsense film to wind down for the day. I did consider watching Pulp Fiction as I'd not seen it before, but I wasn't in the mood to watch it.

Then came...

"Here's your Subzero, now plain zero"

That's right...

The Running Man

This gets points just for having some of Arnie's cheesiest lines to date, and all amazingly appropriate for the moment at hand.

Amber: [after Richards cut Buzzsaw in half with a chain saw] What happened to Buzzsaw?

Ben Richards: He had to split.

It's cinematic gold.

Eight Shabba's

shabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpgshabba.jpg

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1-3

TMNT 1 was a great, great popcorn movie with some brilliant emotional points powered by an engaging, solid story which linked to the comic books well. 9/10 :D

TMNT2: The Secret of the Ooze, was more of a comedy, quite poor compared to the original with bland fight scenes, yet it still had it's moments of quality. No Casey neither :( 6/10

TMNT 3: Turtles in time. This was awful. Truly atrocious. Seemed like a cheap Japanese action flick. The story was too poor for a movie as it took the turtles away from the city! This was then backed up by awful acting and a complete ignorance to the previous films. Casey returned though! 4/10.

I pretty much spot on agree.

However, I'd score them as follows:

TMNT 1 - 7/10

TMNT 2 - 5/10

TMNT 3 - 1/10 (it's that bad, as far as I'm concerned)

I was lying in bed at 1:30 and needed a no nonsense film to wind down for the day. I did consider watching Pulp Fiction as I'd not seen it before, but I wasn't in the mood to watch it.

Then came...

"Here's your Subzero, now plain zero"

That's right...

The Running Man

This gets points just for having some of Arnie's cheesiest lines to date, and all amazingly appropriate for the moment at hand.

Amber: [after Richards cut Buzzsaw in half with a chain saw] What happened to Buzzsaw?

Ben Richards: He had to split.

It's cinematic gold.

Eight Shabba's

By only giving it 8 shabbas out of 10 you realise you've left enough room for my fist, BECAUSE I'M GONNA RAM IT INTO YOUR STOMACH AND BREAK YOUR GODDAMN SPIIINNE!!

Just watched [RecDOT] and The Mist, and enjoyed them both :) Rec was suitably freaky and gripping, with some slightly novel ways of creating suspense with audio/video. I am, however, increasingly tired of the unavoidable This Is The Kind Of Character This Character Is type thing... not exactly stereotypes, but maybe... like, the seed of irrationality needed to do some of the things-- but anyway. Good b-movie stuff.

The Mist was a fairly wonderful film to watch. Just the sort of thing I like to sit and ponder with. Again, the blinkered and often macho/bimbo characters are fairly typical Stevie King, but it's excusable because the film's focus is on the mystery and how types of people deal with things. Plenty of the expected allegories and "This Is How Good People Should Be" obviousities (fake word, shush!)... and yeah. I did like it. Ending was slightly predictable (not, like, waaay before the end or anything), and typically symbolic of Mr. King.

So yeah. I think I should really read more of his stuff as he knows how to write Steven King books, and I think I'd like 'em.

no country for old men tomorrow! Look at me enter the year 2008! Aren't I cool?

Jay, I believe the ending of The Mist was actually changed by Darabont to the incredibly pessemistic one in the film.

Watched Pineapple Express and Forgetting Sarah Marshall last night. Pineapple was a huge disappointment, first hour is really enjoyable, the second it gets confused with itself and ends up pretty boring. James Franco is the stand out blah blah blah.

5/10

Forgetting Sarah Marshall on the other hand was a complete surprise, it was much funnier than I expected and the characters were better formed than in previous Apatow fair. Jason Segel is the most unassuming of the whole group, but he's written the best screenplay to come out of the Apatow pack so far.

7/10

Jay, I believe the ending of The Mist was actually changed by Darabont to the incredibly pessemistic one in the film.

Watched Pineapple Express and Forgetting Sarah Marshall last night. Pineapple was a huge disappointment, first hour is really enjoyable, the second it gets confused with itself and ends up pretty boring. James Franco is the stand out blah blah blah.

5/10

Forgetting Sarah Marshall on the other hand was a complete surprise, it was much funnier than I expected and the characters were better formed than in previous Apatow fair. Jason Segel is the most unassuming of the whole group, but he's written the best screenplay to come out of the Apatow pack so far.

7/10

Yep, it sure is pessimistic.

The only merit the end has, besides that the actor playing Father Dude looks like a tool after he shot everyone else, is if it really was the end of the world, and the kid was important in some utterly unspecified way besides being The Son (and that whole father-killing-son biblical thing that for the life of me i can't remember righ tnow. Abe and isaac? Meh) ...

The ending will ruin future rewatchings for sure. I hate it when i go to a bookshop to buy a book that a film was based on because I don't really want the shitty movie-tie-in covers. Meh!