Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

The Incredibles

Strikes, causing incapacitation.

Hate Elastigirl's voice, but love how she's the great one of the family. Powerful women are yes.

Don't like how Syndrome isn't actually that good, and doesn't really cause much threat to the family. Would love to see more scenes where it's like "Fuck, I'm crying if Violet dies." There's not enough peril.

Great animation though.

8.7/10

Up 7/10

I feel it started off really well, but then descended into fairly standard formulaic cartoon fare, I cried a little at the beginning. I dare anyone not to. I dare you.

District 9 4/10

What the Hell is all the damn fuss about? Am I the only one here not on the ball-licking train for this film? Honestly? Is it that Peter Jackson produced it? Is it that South Africa is more known for racism than Sci-Fi? Is it supposed to be some subtle but GLARINGLY OBVIOUS allegory for Apartheid?

I wanted to like this film, I honestly did, but I had the plot figured in the first 10 minutes and as nothing came as a surprise after that, it wasn't worth it.

Wolverine 5/10

I'm sorry, what? Jackman has always been perfect as a sensitive and slightly understated version of Wolverine, and sadly he's the only good thing about this film. The rest of the characters either don't get enough screen time or seem like pointless caricatures of the people they are supposed to be, just so one-dimensional in many ways.

I also did not like the way they attempted to retcon everything and shoe-horn Wolverine's life into the existing universe. It would have been much better if the directors and screenwriters had just gone in a direction independent of Singer's vision. It was at least, entertaining, but the best thing about it was the inspired casting of Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool. That's a film I am most definitely looking forward to.

Heathers

More ridiculous than I was expecting, but in some respects it makes it better as a movie. I love at the very end, how she just walks away, cigarette in mouth, singed.

Hate Christian Slater's weasel face.

Love Kate Bush (Shannen Doherty AKA Prue from Charmed) in it.

Good, but not really, but could be interpreted as great.

Doesn't impress, but doesn't fail to impress.

8/10

Shannen Doherty AKA Brenda Walsh surely :p

I do love the film, although there is something irritating about Slater (but I suppose it works in this film). Brilliant film though and a genre-defining classic.

"I wonder if he'd love his son if he had a pulse and a limp wrist."

And of course;

"Fuck me gently with a chainsaw!"

And all this talk of The Incredibles I enjoy it. Its just a, to borrow the kind of term bounced around by easy-reading newspapers such as The Sun, "fun romp". Plus a reference to Disney's nine old men. Always win.

And speaking of Up:

Quite awesome.

Aaaaaanyway on Xmas Eve I watched Pinocchio. Not seen it in years, so much so I'd forgotten what happened between him being made into a living puppet and the whale at the end. I love Figaro, he's awesome. And the fact he had his own little bed.

300px-Figaro.jpg

I saw The Gruffalo too. Considering its so famous, I expected the story to be... better...?

Obvs its a kids' thing, but it felt really empty, and repetitive in a bad way.

Didn't care for the animation much, AND I FUCKING HATE JAMES CORDEN MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD. Helena is too essential though, so it balanced out.

And speaking of Up:

Quite awesome.

That song was indeed awesome haha! Can't get it out of my head right now. X3

I also found out that Up has already been released here on DVD and Blu-Ray, yet in the UK you have to wait until February. We got something early! =O

*tempted to get it*

Also, The Incredibles is great. Maybe not the best Pixar film, but I still really enjoy watching it. =)

Anyway, we watched The Reader last night. I had no idea what to expect of the film and I also had no idea how well it was received etc. It turned out to be a really good film I thought. I really felt for the characters, the story was told well and it was filmed beautifully. So yeah, worth watching I think.

Plus naked Kate Winslet and David Kross, yum. =P

I saw The Gruffalo too. Considering its so famous, I expected the story to be... better...?

Obvs its a kids' thing, but it felt really empty, and repetitive in a bad way.

Didn't care for the animation much, AND I FUCKING HATE JAMES CORDEN MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD. Helena is too essential though, so it balanced out.

At first I thought the animation was a little bit sterile, but then as it went on it started to fit with the style of the world.

And I don't know who James Corden is.

The Holiday

Really enjoyed it. Has that same sort of Love Actually charm to it, that makes it one of the better Rom-Coms (well it's not much of a comedy, but still). Thought all the cast were great and it has a sweet story to it.

8/10

and yeah, I don't get all the hype around The Incredibles either... I think it's pretty undewhelming.

All the usual Christmas Movies

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

A lovely family musical starring Dick-Van Dyke. I don't know what it is with this, but everytime i see it i always chuckle and enjoy it more. This movie is so so old, people should have seen it and i won't bore you with the details no more.

9/10

Hook

Stars Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman, Bob Hoskins and Julia Roberts. It is based as a sequel to the Disney movie Peter Pan. Peter has grown up, has to go back to Neverland to rescue his kids but none of the Lost Boys recognise him since it has been 20+ years since the last trip. An excellent movie, one for the family.

9/10

The Holiday

Really enjoyed it. Has that same sort of Love Actually charm to it, that makes it one of the better Rom-Coms (well it's not much of a comedy, but still). Thought all the cast were great and it has a sweet story to it.

8/10

Yeah its not too bad actually. And probably Cameron Diaz' most tolerable performance.

Solaris (2002)

I've not finished the original yet (Still driving along the motorway in silence for 10 minutes...), but I really enjoyed this. Dunno how close it is to the original. Clooney didn't blow me away, but he was better than I expected. I loved Natasha McElhone. She hasn't really been in much else has she?

Lovely direction, score and acting in general. Cerebral, thought-provoking etc.

I think I liked most imagining it to be a stunning reworking of the Dark Phoenix Saga in an alternate reality X-Men.

8/10

That song was indeed awesome haha! Can't get it out of my head right now. X3

I also found out that Up has already been released here on DVD and Blu-Ray, yet in the UK you have to wait until February. We got something early! =O

*tempted to get it*

SPEEEEEEE!!! *shakes fist*

Feb? *checks* Damn, out the week after my birthday.

DISNEEEEEY!! *shakes fist*

Some nice effects (and a couple of dodgy ones), a nonsense plot and mostly uninteresting characters. I love how Step Dad is so cliche that nobody seemed to give a shit when he died. The only slightly interesting person was Adrian (the main scientist dude) although at times it seemed like he was too naive about humanity. He may as well have said:

I believe in something greater than myself. A better world. A world without sin..

It was fairly entertaining, but they could have cut an hour out of it and nobody would notice.

6/10

star trek (2009)

second vieiwing for me, after seeing it at the cinema, still a great film, good story, good action, good acting, a step up from the general standard of most blockbusters.

odd thing though, i was near tears right through the opening of the movie. this wouldn't be a problem, but in all honesty, it isnt very sad and im simply not a cryer. ive made it through much sadder movies before and not cried, so im putting this down to christmas excess and my cold.

7.5/10 great reboot to the franchise

The Holiday

8/10

and yeah, I don't get all the hype around The Incredibles either... I think it's pretty undewhelming.

Think that was on TV earlier. Missed it, gosh darn.

Adventureland

Underwhelming, but I've got a love from indie teen movies going at the moment so I rather enjoyed it. Good acting n' stuff.

7 / 10

Zombieland

And another film starring is-it-michael-cera-no-its-someone-who-can-act Jesse Einsburg. Brilliant fun, up there with Shaun, good little main group, fantastic cameo halfway through, and a kick ass end sequence.

8 / 10

Harry Potter - Half Blood Prince

Actually not half (lol half, see? see??) bad. Pity Radcliff and Watson are perpetually shit at acting but aside from that, good effort. As a visual spectacle it was all rather wonderful, especially the excellent cave sequence and other parts that I've forgotten about now.. ah yes the Burrow attack, which was random as but looked brilliant. Thought the changes to the book were alright, the rest of the acting was ok (highlight: Helena Bonham Carter was again great as Bellatrix), and the colour scheme Yates has got going makes the whole thing look really rich. Go Yates!

7.5 / 10

The Devil's Backbone

Decent early one from Pan's Labarynth man. Cool to see some of the ideas later expanded upon in Pans. Pretty exjoyable / randomly scary / randomly grusome film. Worth a watch.

7.5 / 10

Sherlock Holmes

I think it was around the point where Watson yelled "Nut him!", followed immediately by Sherlock Holmes headbutting someone that Mr Holmes lost all the charm and sophistication that he was supposed to have. Or it could have been the point where they revealed him to be a drunk buffoon (albeit a clever one sometimes). I'm not sure.

Still better than I thought though. I especially liked the bit at the end where Sherlock Holmes explained to the main bad guy all the details of his own plan. Was about the only bit that felt ye old crime storye.

"Very average as a film, not very Sherlock Holmesy" pretty much sums it up.

Meh/10

Adventureland

Underwhelming, but I've got a love from indie teen movies going at the moment so I rather enjoyed it. Good acting n' stuff.

7 / 10

Zombieland

And another film starring is-it-michael-cera-no-its-someone-who-can-act Jesse Einsburg. Brilliant fun, up there with Shaun, good little main group, fantastic cameo halfway through, and a kick ass end sequence.

8 / 10

I loved Adventureland. Awesome as hell. And I love how Jesse Eisenberg was in two films "Land" within a month or so. He's awesome. He does seem very similar to Michael Cera, but the two characters are quite different in the films, and they have subtle differences blah blah.

<3