N-Europe

Global IT Outage - Y2K Arrives 24 Years Late!

A ridiculous amount of businesses have had to stop functioning this morning.

The Cybersecurity company, "Crowdstrike", which Microsoft uses has seem to rolled out a buggy update, and the Blue Screen of Death is now all over the place.

TV channels are off-air, airports are at a standstill, even 911 isn't working in some US States. Pretty serious stuff.
N-E still works though.

BBC article here

Edited by Glen-i

Yeah, just been talking about it at work. 

It's crazy to me as a society just how reliant most places have now become on technology or an internet connection. A crash in the system here or a cut wire there and the whole system collapses. Crazy.

One of the key systems I use at work, essential for me doing my job, has been down all morning so far (jumped on at 08:00)

Refreshed it every 20-30 minutes, still nothing, so yeah...

Podcast and washing up time it is :laughing:

Sakurai is affected as well.

Oops! Blue screen.

There seems to be a lot of blue screen issues happening on Windows these days, and some of us are experiencing this issue too. What should I do…

• Haha 2

Oh no!! Some poor guy who was interviewed on the BBC couldn’t get his doner kebab because the computers didn’t work.  He was left disappointed, DISAPPOINTED even!

Oh the tragedy of it all!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

Oh no!! Some poor guy who was interviewed on the BBC couldn’t get his doner kebab because the computers didn’t work.  He was left disappointed, DISAPPOINTED even!

Oh the tragedy of it all!

Serious question, do people just not carry cash around with them anymore?

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Honestly? I hardly do myself anymore.  There’s usually just no need to do so when almost everyone accepts card now, even most corner shops do these days.

I’d never put my card details on my phone though, I draw the line there as that’s just lunacy.  Your phone gets nicked or borrowed nefariously? Oh well, you just had your bank account details stolen then!

Edited by Dcubed

8 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Honestly? I hardly do myself anymore.  There’s usually just no need to do so when almost everyone accepts card now, even most corner shops do these days.

I’d never put my card details on my phone though, I draw the line there as that’s just lunacy.  Your phone gets nicked or borrowed nefariously? Oh well, you just had your bank account details stolen then!

I've always got a couple on notes in my wallet and coins in the car. You often hear about people forgetting their pin numbers and it doesn't surprise me when most just tap their cards or use their phones to pay.

18 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I only ever have £30 cash on me because my barber's is a cash-only business, unless I know I'm going somewhere which might be a cash-only event (or perhaps potentially a handful of cash-only vendors) or where it might be useful (like a Comic Con or something along those lines). Oh, and a £1 coin for the trolley (I know there are the ones you can add to your keys but then I just got my keys jingling and jangling all over the shop)

15 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I'd never put my card details on my phone though, I draw the line there as that’s just lunacy.  Your phone gets nicked or borrowed nefariously? Oh well, you just had your bank account details stolen then!

I don't really use cards via contactless on my phone (reckon I mostly use it for travel passes tbh, or when I'm in London), but assuming we're talking about contactless here - because everyone should have decent enough security on their phone and app logins these days that I'm going to assume we're not leaving our phone without security and then keeping passwords in notes apps - if your phone gets nicked you could just call your bank, go into branch, or freeze the card pretty much instantly via online banking? 

Though, not commenting on yourself but just the general populace, I work at a bank and people don't seem as quick on the uptake as you might think to get those things actioned when it does happen, so...

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You often hear about people forgetting their pin numbers and it doesn't surprise me when most just tap their cards or use their phones to pay.

...alright never mind I forgot how useless some people can be :p

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

All systems fully functioning at work, which is annoying. Global IT outage, and I'm stuck working like a schmuck. 

I don't carry cash around at all. Occasionally I'll have a tenner in my wallet, which stays in there for months and months because I never used it, only to suddenly come in handy when I need cash for something. Then I forget to replace it. I currently have 10 euros in there from my holiday a month or two ago, and that's it. 

My father in law doesn't even carry his wallet around any more - he just has his phone. A couple of times somewhere hadn't accepted Apple Pay and he's been stuck unable to pay. 

Apparently, only a small handful of institutions were affected in Portugal (and my current occupation only requires Linux, so all's good). The biggest impact was from international flights affecting our airports' schedules.

Love the irony of a cybersecurity company being responsible for this, though.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I don’t carry cash around at all anymore. I don’t even carry any bank cards, just do everything through my phone/watch nowadays. The only place I’ve actually needed cash in the last couple of years has been the Japanese Embassy (of course!) but other than that not worrying about taking anything out makes life much easier.

I’m in the hospital at the moment (wife is having baby #2) and it’s absolute chaos. Nowhere can take any payments, they can’t get any test results, appointments are a mess etc. etc. We had to wait 3 hours to start being seen and everything is massively delayed. They’re doing all they can though and everyone is lovely. Interesting watching all of it play out, as has been said it’s amazing how one small issue can grind the whole world to a halt.

33 minutes ago, Will said:

I don’t carry cash around at all anymore. I don’t even carry any bank cards, just do everything through my phone/watch nowadays. The only place I’ve actually needed cash in the last couple of years has been the Japanese Embassy (of course!) but other than that not worrying about taking anything out makes life much easier.

I’m in the hospital at the moment (wife is having baby #2) and it’s absolute chaos. Nowhere can take any payments, they can’t get any test results, appointments are a mess etc. etc. We had to wait 3 hours to start being seen and everything is massively delayed. They’re doing all they can though and everyone is lovely. Interesting watching all of it play out, as has been said it’s amazing how one small issue can grind the whole world to a halt.

She's having the baby right now? Or she's having a baby in general and you're there for a check-up? 

35 minutes ago, Will said:

I don’t carry cash around at all anymore. I don’t even carry any bank cards, just do everything through my phone/watch nowadays.

32 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I maybe carry a backup cover but thats about it. I keep my bank card with me but rarely use it as I'm another that just uses my phone or watch.

I just can't bring myself to do that. Just don't trust the stuff.

Businesses that refuse cash simply don't get my business. Boils my blood when you go into a shop and they only accept digital payments. It's legal tender! I feel sorry for elderly people who don't keep up with tech and get turned away because they can't pay with cash or can't get a discount because they don't have an app.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Will said:

I’m in the hospital at the moment (wife is having baby #2) and it’s absolute chaos. Nowhere can take any payments

5 minutes ago, bob said:

She's having the baby right now? Or she's having a baby in general and you're there for a check-up? 

Sounds like he's buying baby number 2. 

I also don't carry cash around. In fact I don't even carry a wallet around anymore. 

The only cash I ever have is from a friend who borrows money and sometimes gives it back in cash and then I just take it to the bank periodically. 

I got back to the UK by plane yesterday afternoon, so just in time it seems.  I’ve seen some airports abroad using white board and pen and it’s working.  Whatever did we do before?  

Hope everything’s ok with the wife and baby #2 @Will

25 minutes ago, bob said:

Twin #1 was delivered before the outage.

19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Businesses that refuse cash simply don't get my business. Boils my blood when you go into a shop and they only accept digital payments. It's legal tender! I feel sorry for elderly people who don't keep up with tech and get turned away because they can't pay with cash or can't get a discount because they don't have an app.

Hero-of-Hero-of-Time:

Edited by darksnowman
embed!

25 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Same, I almost always use cash unless it's a big purchase. 

• Thanks 1

Just use my phone. Only carry cash in the car for trolly/gym locker.

Google Wallet/Android(?) made a changed recently where you have to unlock your phone to pay, which was a bit annoying at first but I guess is more secure.