NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door REMAKE (23rd May 2024)

57 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Easy to do when you release a fully functional game and you are confident in your product.

Yeah but Pokémon SV would have been included so...

17 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Yeah but Pokémon SV would have been included so...

Not Nintendo.

21 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Not Nintendo.

They're the publisher though so would have been their review policy, no? Been a few years since I've really done anything so could be mistaken. 

Plus I was just teasing Pokémon to be honest. 

Another Japanese overview trailer was dropped last night. I imagine the English version will be uploaded soon.

:heart:

Posted (edited)

OK, so I've been basically refusing to look at anything to do with this game, because I want to be as surprised as possible. But a thought just occurred to me.
And don't go confirming if I'm right or not, just spitballing here. Don't actually want confirmation.

But what if they remix the music? Say what you will about Sticker Star onwards, but those game's soundtracks absolutely clown all over the older games! I would love to hear what the people who did this can do to improve TYD's music!

What if they even do specific versions of the standard battle theme based on the chapter you're on, like Origami King does!? Man, I would flip!

Edited by Glen-i

I'm was unsure if I'll jump in. Now I'm not, I want to play this again. Don't think I played it since it first released. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

OK, so I've been basically refusing to look at anything to do with this game, because I want to be as surprised as possible. But a thought just occurred to me.
And don't go confirming if I'm right or not, just spitballing here. Don't actually want confirmation.

But what if they remix the music? Say what you will about Sticker Star onwards, but those game's soundtracks absolutely clown all over the older games! I would love to hear what the people who did this can do to improve TYD's music!

Get this gang in on it

start at 11,46, if I play it on YouTube in a different tab it seems to track along with it...

https://youtu.be/zCXrspb-qLg?t=706

Edited by EEVILMURRAY
  • Like 2

A paper plane?!

Is that the worst thing ever included with a game?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bob said:

A paper plane?!

Is that the worst thing ever included with a game?

Any game that rewards preorders with being able to play the game a week early?

Also, shout out to the Duke Nukem Forever: Special Edition, for having the gall to include Duke Nukem Forever in it.

Edited by Glen-i

Got my copy from Nintendo store today. Forgotten most of the game so it’ll be nice to play through it again. 

Just realised this is a Thursday release. Endless Ocean was as well, Is that a thing from now on?

9 hours ago, Ike said:

Just realised this is a Thursday release. Endless Ocean was as well, Is that a thing from now on?

Seems that way for the time being, anyway. Endless Ocean, this, Luigi's Mansion 2 HD, Nintendo World Championships: NES Edition are all down for Thursdays. No day/ date specified for Pokémon Legends: Z-A as yet.

Posted (edited)

My copy has just arrived: 

GOQhdQmXAAAcdCc?format=jpg&name=large

Along with the paper airplane and a slightly mangled sticker sheet (thanks, Royal Mail) :p

Won't be getting to this immediately unfortunately as I've still got a game I'm rounding off at the moment (in which the ending feels so close yet so, SO far away), but I'm very excited to start digging in when I can! 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Julius said:

Won't be getting to this immediately

Ms. Mowz rebuffed. :blank: 

7 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Ms. Mowz rebuffed. :blank: 

Not everyone wants to catch the train to Floozyville.

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Not everyone wants to catch the train to Floozyville.

Astutely put. Those more taken by Flurrie's charms would, it's needless to say, choose to motorboat.

• Haha 1

My fiancee is so bad at platforming. And yes, there are "platforming" sections in this game. :bouncy:

9 minutes ago, FalcoLombardi said:

My fiancee is so bad at platforming. And yes, there are "platforming" sections in this game. :bouncy:

I'm loving this remake, but if there's one I change I unequivocally hate, is that you now lose all momentum if you walk off a ledge. Makes using the partner you get in Chapter 3 move a lot slower then the original. And getting across gaps with him? Absolute nightmare.

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

I'm loving this remake, but if there's one I change I unequivocally hate, is that you now lose all momentum if you walk off a ledge. Makes using the partner you get in Chapter 3 move a lot slower then the original. And getting across gaps with him? Absolute nightmare.

Why would they program the game in such a way to do that? Unless it's an unfortunate oversight... if it was a conscious choice then, I just don't understand, the momentum in the original game was perfect, why mess with that?

I haven't played the remake for myself but something like this would probably bother me, which is a shame, as I was thinking about picking this up.

Is there a video with a comparison, showing the difference in momentum between both versions? I'm curious to see how noticeable it is, it sounds like the answer is significantly.

I’ve just completed chapter two so I’ve not encountered that bit yet, but I’ve forgotten just how good this game is. It’s so full of charm and funny dialogue. Easily the best Paper Mario game ever. The fact you get to play Super Bowser Bros is just great. 

Is this a Sea of Stars kind of affair where you can't really grind unless you move a million screens away?

And don't come at me with "yOu DoN't NeEd To GrInD fOr ExP" :p I just want to know if you can farm exp and how. And how early :p

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, drahkon said:

Is this a Sea of Stars kind of affair where you can't really grind unless you move a million screens away?

And don't come at me with "yOu DoN't NeEd To GrInD fOr ExP" :p I just want to know if you can farm exp and how. And how early :p

The Paper Mario RPG games actively discourage grinding.  They use a system where the amount of EXP you gain from a particular enemy decreases exponentially as your current level increases, meaning that there's a soft-cap on what level you can reach at any particular point in the game.

Super Paper Mario takes this concept to an extreme, and revels in actively mocking the RPG genre's focus on time-wasting grinding (much to the chagrin of many a player who goes onto message boards and complains about games they've never played ;)).

Edited by Dcubed

19 hours ago, drahkon said:

I wouldn't go that far, but the final boss is kind of an infamous difficulty spike for newcomers.

@Dcubed already answered, but I'll add that every fight in this game does give you 1 star point at the least. So it's not like Paper Mario 1 there.

But anyway, enemies generally don't respawn unless you go into an entirely new area. If you really want to grind, the Pit of 100 Trials is a constant source of quick battles. The remake makes it an excellent source of coins as well.

Or once you get to Chapter 5, you can just endlessly fight Bullet Bills. Might drive yourself mad doing that for too long.

20 hours ago, S.C.G said:

I haven't played the remake for myself but something like this would probably bother me, which is a shame, as I was thinking about picking this up.

Is there a video with a comparison, showing the difference in momentum between both versions? I'm curious to see how noticeable it is, it sounds like the answer is significantly

Yeah, in the original, Mario kept going at about half speed if you walked off an edge, here, he just stops dead.

It's not too bad if you get in the habit of jumping off of every ledge. But the Chapter 3 partner can't do that, which means running down stairs with him is constant stop, start.

Still, in the grand scheme of things, the remake is still a quicker game. Loading times are shorter, and battles start in about half the time, which is very much appreciated!

Also, more shortcut pipes! Very helpful with the Trouble Center.

• Thanks 2

Sign in to follow this