NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ike

Shantae Advance: Risky Revolution

No freaking way!! I’ve always wanted to play that demo, and now they’re actually gonna finish the full game and release it proper!? That’s amazing! :D

Crazy to think that we’re getting a brand new GBA game in 2024, but I am Ret2Go! :bouncy:

Edit: This must be the WayForward Nintendo platform exclusive that Adam Tierney teased earlier on this year… It wasn’t quite what I was expecting, that’s for sure! :o

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Oh wow, that actually looks really good.  Surprising news, for sure, but an absolute must-buy.

Quick Ubisoft, release Just Dance for the GBA after this. They can't be allowed to take your crown!

• Haha 2

So is this only for GBA? Not a huge deal if so, I can just borrow @Dcubed's GBA. But I would like to buy it myself.

Seems strange to only release it as a physical GBA cartridge. Limited Run Games have their own emulator engine, so not doing a digital release makes no sense. 

McDonald's released a Game Boy Colour game earlier this year. It was digital-only on a website, but the ROM works on original GBC hardware.

2 hours ago, Cube said:

Seems strange to only release it as a physical GBA cartridge. Limited Run Games have their own emulator engine, so not doing a digital release makes no sense. 

McDonald's released a Game Boy Colour game earlier this year. It was digital-only on a website, but the ROM works on original GBC hardware.

It probably will get a digital release eventually, but this is clearly a passion project for Wayforward; finally giving them closure on a project that was very personal for Matt Bozon and Voldi Way.  Gives the game a greater sense of legitimacy to have its initial release be a true retail GBA title alone, as was always intended.

For LRG as well? They stand to make much more money on a retail cart release than a ROM dump from collectors as well.  So it’s a win-win for both Wayforward and LRG (who are bankrolling the project).

But yeah, I’m sure it’ll get a digital release on modern platforms eventually.  Still will be copping that GBA cart day 1 myself though! :D

• Thanks 1

Here's a mad idea. Seeing as this will be a legit GBA cartridge. Then theoretically, it could be put on the NSO app after the physical prints dry up.

That would be a neat incentive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This... is quite the news! As a recent Shantae fan, I want to see what comes out of it. As a GBA fan, I'm glad to see it'll never die :grin:

I do hope they can get a digital version running eventually, regardless.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 1

More Shantae games can only be a good thing!  Nice to see, like @Dcubed said, they get closure on the project.  For those that worked on it at the time, it must be good to see their efforts get rewarded with the release.

• Thanks 1

Those high-res portraits and UI are a bit eww, but the game itself looks great!

Will enjoy playing this on my original GBA next year :D

The Portuguese version of the Direct showed this in Portuguese! :eek: Not sure if it was just for the purposes of the trailer (and only this trailer), but I think it would be the first-ever GBA game translated into the language, if true.

Anyway, the game looks terrific!

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Jonnas said:

The Portuguese version of the Direct showed this in Portuguese! :eek: Not sure if it was just for the purposes of the trailer (and only this trailer), but I think it would be the first-ever GBA game translated into the language, if true.

Anyway, the game looks terrific!

Oh wow! That's awesome!

I do wonder if the actual original GBA version would include Portuguese though, considering the inevitable cartridge space limitations in place (max of 32MB).

Edited by Dcubed

45 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

turn into an elephant eh... rings a bell

Definitely.

Shantae
Shantae: Risky's Revenge
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

all have this transformation. :p

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Definitely.

Shantae
Shantae: Risky's Revenge
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

all have this transformation. :p

I was thinking more of Space Station Silicon Valley.

A true classic

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Oh wow! That's awesome!

I do wonder if the actual original GBA version would include Portuguese though, considering the inevitable cartridge space limitations in place (max of 32MB).

Some GBA titles had translations, but if the game was text-heavy, it would only fit 2 or 3. In fact, it wasn't uncommon for PAL releases to have an ENG/FRA/GER version and an ESP/ITA version, as separate releases with separate cartridges. If the game had very little text to translate, there was the possibility of the cartridge fitting 5 or 6 languages.

That said, and upon reexamining the Direct... something fishy is going on. I think that dialogue was trailer-exclusive, and was translated because they were doing that for all pop-up text with special fonts (which includes the dialogue boxes, apparently). What really convinces me that I was mistaken... is that other titles in the Direct had very tiny print saying stuff like "Available in European/Brazillian Portuguese", but Shantae had no such thing :hmm:

The game is going to be great regardless, but that would've been the ultimate perk. My hopes got dashed way forward.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Some GBA titles had translations, but if the game was text-heavy, it would only fit 2 or 3. In fact, it wasn't uncommon for PAL releases to have an ENG/FRA/GER version and an ESP/ITA version, as separate releases with separate cartridges.

Very true. We see this kind of thing demonstrated nowadays on NSO with multiple slots for the same game.

• Thanks 1

Pre-orders for the physical GBA release open on the 23rd of February!

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/shantae-advance-risky-revolution

The price though... OOF!

Me thinks that I'm gonna be the only one here buying a physical GBA copy...

Not saying no to getting a brand new retail release GBA game in 2024, especially when it's an actual honest-to-goodness long-lost Shantae game.  Price be damned.

Edit:  They have an estimated ship date listed for October 1st-31st.  Guess that gives us a rough release date then.

Edited by Dcubed

40 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

The price though... OOF!

I was expecting it to be more then that, to be honest...

I was tempted to get the GBA version, but that price is a little hard to swallow and now I’m not sure.  A lot of nice extras in that deluxe version, I can see why you’d be tempted @Dcubed

9 hours ago, WackerJr said:

I was tempted to get the GBA version, but that price is a little hard to swallow and now I’m not sure.  A lot of nice extras in that deluxe version, I can see why you’d be tempted @Dcubed

Oh I'm not getting the deluxe version, I just want the physical cartridge really.

The box art is utter crap, not worth the extra money for the other physical tat (will buy the OST from Bandcamp when it gets officially released; assuming that the music is on par with Jake Kaufman's previous works - have loved all the OSTs save for Seven Sirens, which isn't all that memorable).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Heads up for anyone insane enough to pay LRG's price for a physical GBA copy, the pre-order page is up now.  And a new mini trailer showing the GBA version...

... no? Just me? Ok then.  Can't blame you TBH.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this