N-Europe

Nintendo Museum – opening 2nd October 2024!

Julius

Posted (edited)

And in case it needed to be said: no game announcements or mention of the Switch successor. 

Definitely looking forward to getting a look at this place either way! 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Should be pretty neat.  I bet we’ll see the Gulf War Gameboy reappear here :)

Edit: Actually… come to think of it, might we also see some unreleased Nintendo hardware here too? Like Project Atlantis or the GameCube 3D display? Maybe even some beta builds of Nintendo games, like the 1997 Spaceworld demo that Tim Stamper was showing off?

Lots of potential with this museum :D

Edited by Dcubed

Posted (edited)

Opening October 2nd! 

Link to the full Direct: 

Looks wonderful from what they've shown so far. 

Some of the highlights for me:

• the progression walls of certain franchises/objects, like Mario Kart or the ? Block through the years

• the amusingly placed rifle in one of the display cases :laughing:

• the card-playing screen floor you can interact with and play through your phone

• the Ultra Machine batting cages with the living room backdrops are hilarious

• Punished Miyamoto and the Wall of Death

• the silence of the museum staff who are acting like they're being held at gunpoint all the way through the video :D

• the custom play tickets where you can add your own Mii are going to make for really neat keepsakes

• the giant controllers you can use to play some games lmao that is amazing

image.png?ex=66c514a9&is=66c3c329&hm=f74

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 3

• Julius changed the title to Nintendo Museum – opening 2nd October 2024!

nintendomuseumdirectroundupbanner.620x0.webp

Nintendo Museum Direct Roundup

Now up on the main page. :peace:

I couldn't help but put together at least a bit of a write-up, especially for such a joyful video celebrating all things Nintendo.

Enjoy! :smile:

• Like 1

Bit disappointed in the look of it TBH.  Was hoping for something a bit more ernest and period appropriate.

While I’m glad that a substantial portion of the museum is dedicated to recreating pre-NES attractions like Laser Clay; it’s a bit of a shame that it isn’t the genuine article being demonstrated.  It’s like making a new Game & Watch Gallery, but only including Modern versions of the titles while not featuring the originals.

Also the lack of Nintendo’s arcade history is disappointing too.

I would’ve loved to see some of their unreleased hardware on display, or game prototypes, or original design documents for some of their most famous games; or perhaps even having working original FDS Disk Writer or SNES/GB Nintendo Power kiosks, or maybe even a working SNES Satellaview.  But alas.

I dunno.  I was just hoping for something a bit more genuinely historical, rather than what is essentially an extension of their Super Nintendo World theme parks.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

It looks kind of fun but I wouldn’t say there was much they showed that would make this an essential visit for me. I’m hoping that the stuff they didn’t show will be the more exciting stuff and once we see reports from people who have visited there will be a bigger reason to go. 

One small thing: the N64 games with video feeds include Doshin the Giant. Nintendo are actually acknowledging the 64DD. 

Also, I wonder how easy it is to press the Z button on that giant N64 controller.

• Thanks 2

Looks really nice. :cool:
This is the kind of thing that'd be amazing to visit in exactly the same way Miyamoto is in the vid, i.e., with basically no one else there. :heh: But once it's open to the general public and absolutely rammed will probably be quite an annoying experience. :D
At least that's what I'm telling myself to make me feel better about never being able to go there. :laughing:

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Julius said:

the silence of the museum staff who are acting like they're being held at gunpoint all the way through the video

I was going to say "I wonder if they'll be allowed to talk when the public are there". 

I know we didn't see anything but there was no indication that spaces have been left side for future generations. I know it's a museum, but still. 

I wonder if this is in the museum: :D

Fascination, an unreleased erotic game developed by Nintendo in 1974

In 1974, Nintendo had to deal with financial difficulties after the commercial failure of the Laser Clay shooting system, a very expensive arcade game which used light guns and bowling alleys. In order to keep his company afloat, Hiroshi Yamauchi asked Gunpei Yokoi to develop a new title. Thus was born Wild Gunman, a game which looks and plays like Mad Dog McCree, a live-action shooting game released more than a decade later. The game itself is based on a pretty simple combination of tapes and optoelectronic technology. While it’s not as well known as the eponymous Famicom game released in 1984, it’s nothing compared to Fascination, an unreleased erotic game which used the same technology.

Gunpei Yokoi:
I knew that there would be only male journalists during the presentation of Wild Gunman, so I wondered if there was not a way to pull off a major coup by making something unusual that would seduce them. That’s how I imagined Fascination (ファッシネーション).
In this game, you see a young woman waddling to the rhythm of the music. The film stops when the lady shows you a closure on her clothes. If you manage to hit the target, then the video resumes and you can see her clothes fall off. By succeeding in a perfect series of shots, it was even possible to see the young woman completely naked (laughs). As you can imagine, this iteration of our game was a real success and was even more popular than Wild Gunman!
Actually, we did not really intend to sell this game because it used a much more complicated and fragile mechanism than the other title. We did set up some prototypes in Shinjuku and, you know, it was a great success.
We had hired a young Swedish woman as a model and I wanted to take part in shooting the sequences. She was really beautiful! At that time, CG did not exist and the challenge of making the images interactive was particularly fun.

Dayum, Nintendo. :cheeky:
Do a HD remake for Switch! :heh: 

• Haha 5
  • Weird 1

On 8/20/2024 at 6:01 PM, BowserBasher said:

This looks fun and very Nintendo. 
I can imagine playing some N64 games with that huge controller will require a few people. And the Wii one is just asking for mischief. 

I hope they have Mario Party 64. Imagine spinning the joystick 😂 I still remember the blisters

• Haha 2

On 8/20/2024 at 5:01 PM, BowserBasher said:

This looks fun and very Nintendo. 
I can imagine playing some N64 games with that huge controller will require a few people. And the Wii one is just asking for mischief. 

The N64 one is asking for

n64_mischief_makers_p_7eav6j.jpg&f=1&nof